Sent PM stays in Outbox for a while

If you are having a problem with logging into the site or with registering, then post under this forum to try to get help, or just use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page to notify the Site Administrators.
dreamer

Sent PM stays in Outbox for a while

#1 Post by dreamer »

I want to report this slightly annoying forum feature. When I send a PM then it says "Sent" but it stays in Outbox. It's moved to the Sent messages folder after an unknown amount of time (probably less than 24 hours).

This behavior makes me question whether the PM has been sent or not.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: Sent PM stays in Outbox for a while

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Forum PM's are removed from your outbox when they are read by the recipient
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

richb
Administrator

#3 Post by richb »

It is actually a nice feature letting you know when a PM has been read by the recipient.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

dreamer

#4 Post by dreamer »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:59 pm Forum PM's are removed from your outbox when they are read by the recipient
richb wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:02 pm It is actually a nice feature letting you know when a PM has been read by the recipient.
aha, it's smarter than email. Nice. I still live in the era when a message in Outbox means Thunderbird has no Internet connection. :footinmouth:

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#5 Post by dolphin_oracle »

dreamer wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:10 pm
dolphin_oracle wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:59 pm Forum PM's are removed from your outbox when they are read by the recipient
richb wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:02 pm It is actually a nice feature letting you know when a PM has been read by the recipient.
aha, it's smarter than email. Nice. I still live in the era when a message in Outbox means Thunderbird has no Internet connection. :footinmouth:
took me a LOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG time to figure that out :happy:
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Gordon Cooper

#6 Post by Gordon Cooper »

PM's can sit in the Outbox for a long time if the recipient has not set up the notification system. I get a note from Admin in my regular email when a PM is posted to me.

One that I sent a couple of years ago sat the in the outbox for months. the recipient had had just disappeared from the forum. Perhaps deceased?o
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

richb
Administrator

#7 Post by richb »

Gordon Cooper wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:55 pm PM's can sit in the Outbox for a long time if the recipient has not set up the notification system. I get a note from Admin in my regular email when a PM is posted to me.

One that I sent a couple of years ago sat the in the outbox for months. the recipient had had just disappeared from the forum. Perhaps deceased?o
You can also set a PM notification via the User Control Panel so a red indicator shows at the the Private Messages verbiage at the top of the Index Page
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Gordon Cooper

#8 Post by Gordon Cooper »

I have both notification methods set up. Find that the email from Admin is very useful because - force of habit - email is the first thing that I look at in the morning. Probably a hang-over from when I was moderating a group that did all their messaging by email.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

Return to “Site Help”