Board Time

If you are having a problem with logging into the site or with registering, then post under this forum to try to get help, or just use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page to notify the Site Administrators.
Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: Board Time

#11 Post by Jerry3904 »

Hmmm. God, by definition, is outside of time--so that must have been some clock to see!
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

lucky9

#12 Post by lucky9 »

I think she was thinking about Sunrise and Sunset.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

GuiGuy

OT:Spelling Nazi here.

#13 Post by GuiGuy »

BitJam wrote:..............in a fit of virtuosity............
I think it was a fit of virtuousness - virtuosity is something different and does not usually come in fits.
Sorry, BJ, but I was shocked because your English is normally impeccable.
Your story made me chuckle anyway.

BTW I agree with lucky's Granny about God and Government.

Gaer Boy

#14 Post by Gaer Boy »

When British Summer Time was first introduced in 1916, the villagers of Llangennith, at the far west of the Gower peninsular, held a parish meeting to discuss the concept. They resolved to try the newfangled idea for one month and revert to GMT if the majority didn't like it. It wouldn't have made much difference - the only transport for the 20 miles to Swansea was the local carter.

Time zone rather than DST, but I liked the note in the rail timetable for the Indian Pacific across the Nullabor Plain. When we visited in 1990, it said that the conductor on the train would tell us when to change our watches, and by how much!

Phil

Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX, Ryzen 5 5600G, 16GB, 250GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 2x1TB HDD (MBR), MX-21-AHS
Lenovo Thinkpad X220, dual-core i5, 4MB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), MX-21

Gordon Cooper

#15 Post by Gordon Cooper »

On the Indian Pacific you certainly would not know just where you were by looking out the window. I can reme,ber the watch change
too. In US we ran into problems with those states that do not observe daylight saving, Indiana is one while it's neighbour Illinois does,
an AMTRAK staffer told us that sometimes the train stops in a passing loop to let the clock catch up - though that never happened to us,
in three months of circumnavigating US and Canada by rail, trains were most often late.

uncle mark

#16 Post by uncle mark »

Gordon Cooper wrote:In US we ran into problems with those states that do not observe daylight saving, Indiana is one while it's neighbour Illinois does,
Used to be the case, but that charged 10 years ago or so. I think Arizona is the only holdout of the contiguous 48.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

richb
Administrator

#17 Post by richb »

uncle mark wrote:
Gordon Cooper wrote:In US we ran into problems with those states that do not observe daylight saving, Indiana is one while it's neighbour Illinois does,
Used to be the case, but that charged 10 years ago or so. I think Arizona is the only holdout of the contiguous 48.
That is correct. And one friend I have does not observe it. So it is Arizona and Don. :alien:
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Gordon Cooper

#18 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Is the following view generally accepted?

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/arc ... me/354753/

richb
Administrator

#19 Post by richb »

Gordon Cooper wrote:Is the following view generally accepted?

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/arc ... me/354753/
Not among the people I know. Some grumbling, but mostly a marker that winter is on its way, when Standard Time returns.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Leo

#20 Post by Leo »

My internal clock gets me up every morning (even though, being disabled, I haven't had to get up for anything in over a decade), but it doesn't have a DST button. All of a sudden, I'm getting up at 4 in the morning... ::)
There are exceptions to every rule...
and I know I'm mighty exceptional... :lion2:
:linuxlove:
Linux user #415188

Dell Inspiron 3541, AMD A6-6310 quad-core, Radeon R4 graphics, 8GB RAM, MX-19.4, Phillips 32" HDTV monitor

Return to “Site Help”