-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Feeds Disabled

If you are having a problem with logging into the site or with registering, then post under this forum to try to get help, or just use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page to notify the Site Administrators.
richb
Administrator

Feeds Disabled

#1 Post by richb » Wed May 01, 2013 8:48 pm

In order to run a test regarding the recent Forum outages and slow operation, the feed capability of the Forum has been disabled.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

richb
Administrator

Re: Feeds Disabled

#2 Post by richb » Wed May 01, 2013 9:08 pm

If I am reading the chart correctly there was an over limit condition just before I disabled the feeds, and a drop after. I did have issues with a forum post hanging just prior to disabling the feeds. Time will tell.
Forum Rules

Rich
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

richb
Administrator

#3 Post by richb » Sat May 04, 2013 6:13 am

Feeds have been re-enabled.
Forum Rules

Rich

JimC
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#4 Post by JimC » Sat May 04, 2013 1:57 pm

I should have said something in the threads about it at the time. But, I was a bit busy and it slipped my mind.

But, when the forums were having issues and you guys were looking a reports and graphs and trying to figure out what caused some of the spikes (suspecting DOS attacks, etc.), one of the error screens I saw suggested it was a MySQL resource problem (as one of them returned a too many connections error for MySQL, unlike the pages other users reported seeing during the problems).

I think I *might* (and I stress "might*) have grabbed a screen capture. But, it would take some digging around to see if I did or not.

IOW, I'd suspect MySQL resource allocation from your host to be the culprit, based on one of the error screens I saw. So, you may want to take a closer look at the MySQL setup and logs, too.

JimC
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#5 Post by JimC » Sat May 04, 2013 2:51 pm

JimC wrote:I should have said something in the threads about it at the time. But, I was a bit busy and it slipped my mind.

But, when the forums were having issues and you guys were looking a reports and graphs and trying to figure out what caused some of the spikes (suspecting DOS attacks, etc.), one of the error screens I saw suggested it was a MySQL resource problem (as one of them returned a too many connections error for MySQL, unlike the pages other users reported seeing during the problems).

I think I *might* (and I stress "might*) have grabbed a screen capture. But, it would take some digging around to see if I did or not.

IOW, I'd suspect MySQL resource allocation from your host to be the culprit, based on one of the error screens I saw. So, you may want to take a closer look at the MySQL setup and logs, too.
Found it. It took a while since I was trying to use the find command from a terminal to search for images with either mepis or forum in their name. For example, like this:

find / -iname *mepis*.jpg
find / -iname *mepis*.jpeg
find / -iname *forum*.jpg

etc.

But, I had named it something without mepis or forum in the name. Grrrrrrr

Anyway, here's a direct link to the screen capture of the SQL related error I saw (morning of April 7, 2013), while trying to access the forums here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/453 ... rror1.jpeg

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Post by Jerry3904 » Sat May 04, 2013 2:59 pm

Thanks, Jim, we appreciate your paying attention to such issues. We have been running a thread for quite a while in the Moderators Forum, and have discussed this message and related issues. Peregrine has a small group working with her on this persistent and annoying problem we are having with the server, feel free to PM her if you can contribute to the sleuthing.
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

Return to “Site Help”