Template for creating a MXFB theme

Help for MX Fluxbox
When asking for help, use Quick System Info from MX Tools. It will be properly formatted using the following steps.
1. Click on Quick System Info in MX Tools
2. Right click in your post and paste.
Jerry3904
Administrator

Template for creating a MXFB theme

#1 Post by Jerry3904 »

This is an exploratory thread to consider concepts and methods A couple of us are interested in being able to create a full theme made up of these possible components:
  • an FB style
  • a background; if specified in a style config file, FB apparently enables it: NOTE: the setting in the overlay file to suppress this feature would have to be changed with the theme installation, and changed back when the theme is removed. It may be easier just to move the theme background to the FB backgrounds folder and enable it.
  • a rofi config
  • a tint2 config
  • a conky choice
My working theme ("Urban Color") has these elements ATM: I assume that the delivery mechanism will need to be a script, but haven't started looking at that yet. My notion is to make that script adaptable, maybe with an associated GUI, so that it could be re-used by other MXFB people.

This is as far as I have gone--time is limited now with the onset of the growing season that increases my work load. Am interested for now in any reactions, suggestions, contributions etc.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Melber
Developer

Re: Template for creating a MXFB theme

#2 Post by Melber »

Great minds...

Sort of sounds like there is crossover with a new tool I have been fiddling with.
My aim is to be able to save and restore the settings for theme, icons, fb-style, tint2, rofi and wallpaper, so that when you have a "look" that you like you can save it, get itchy fingers and change some of the settings, decide you don't like the new settings and be able to restore the saved "look" without having to change back all the settings individually.

When and if working, preconfigured "looks" could be included as restore options...

No code, because I haven't got it working properly yet.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#3 Post by Jerry3904 »

Very interesting, that tool will likely work for this with adjustments as we go along.

Please send me a zip when ready so I can set it up in the MXFB repo, where we can easily work with you. Tentative name: "Theme maker" (like it?) to parallel "Dock maker."
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#4 Post by dolphin_oracle »

keep in mind that the official mx fluxbox iso uses nitrogen for setting the wallpapers, not fluxbox or feh.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Melber
Developer

#5 Post by Melber »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:59 am keep in mind that the official mx fluxbox iso uses nitrogen for setting the wallpapers, not fluxbox or feh.
Currently I'm using sed to edit the nitrogen bg-saved.cfg file und then nitrogen --restore to apply the wallpaper. Seems to work.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#6 Post by dolphin_oracle »

if you are feeling bold and want to add the feature to mx-tweak instead of a standalone app, that would be cool. it could be similar to the theme tab for Xfce, for instance.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#7 Post by Jerry3904 »

Not sure how exactly that would work but it seems like a possibility, thanks for the suggestion.

siamhie

#8 Post by siamhie »

I like where this project is going and would be willing to test it out. As much as I love tinkering with Flux manually, there are days where I wish I could just pick and choose a complete theme setup.

I like the name Thememaker. It has a nice ring to it and could be added to the Utilities section in MX Tools. :number1:
This is my Fluxbox . There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My Fluxbox is my best friend. It is my life.
I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my Fluxbox is useless. Without my Fluxbox, I am useless.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#9 Post by Jerry3904 »

I finally have a rofi theme that I like that matches color and *attitude* of Ruud's wallpaper and the "Bluewalls" menu.

I have switched the panel to another one by addy in the raven series ("crimson"), making a number of modifications. This is what I am going with for a theme now.

Melber
Developer

#10 Post by Melber »

Very nice.

Return to “MX Fluxbox Official Release”