Thunar hangs and lost Custom Actions

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: Thunar hangs and lost Custom Actions

#11 Post by dolphin_oracle »

what, if anything, is running your desktop display? (thunar, zzzfm, something else, nothing?)
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#12 Post by dolphin_oracle »

another things to check, especially since libgtk3.0 updated, is anything overriding gtk client side decorations or other gtk libraries. doesn't matter that thunar doesn't use them.
possibly a thumbnailer out of control, but that should show up in htop/top with a cpu consuming process (unlikely)

Steve

#13 Post by Steve »

Not sure of the timing of the issue 26,27,28th but that with that apt list should give the application that broke it? Or did you make a new custom action in that timeline? All things you’ve most likely covered though.
If you wish to share that I’ll see if it breaks mine :eek:

AVLinux

#14 Post by AVLinux »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:21 pm what, if anything, is running your desktop display? (thunar, zzzfm, something else, nothing?)
No Desktop 'manager' XFCE4+Openbox w Nitrogen handling Wallpaper..

AVLinux

#15 Post by AVLinux »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:29 pm another things to check, especially since libgtk3.0 updated, is anything overriding gtk client side decorations or other gtk libraries. doesn't matter that thunar doesn't use them.
possibly a thumbnailer out of control, but that should show up in htop/top with a cpu consuming process (unlikely)
Yes!

If I open Thunar which I've noticed sometimes will let me open a folder or two before locking up once it goes unresponsive it's consuming 100% CPU in top

AVLinux

#16 Post by AVLinux »

@Steve

I appreciate the offer of help but this isn't a straight up AVL-MXE install here, It's my main Desktop used to make AVL but it's a bit of a mutt upgraded manually from Buster so better just let me suffer the consequences... I'm hoping this issue is just on this system and not an AVL issue..

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#17 Post by dolphin_oracle »

AVLinux wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:45 pm
dolphin_oracle wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:29 pm another things to check, especially since libgtk3.0 updated, is anything overriding gtk client side decorations or other gtk libraries. doesn't matter that thunar doesn't use them.
Yes!

If I open Thunar which I've noticed sometimes will let me open a folder or two before locking up once it goes unresponsive it's consuming 100% CPU in top
you might want to disable tumbler then and see if that helps.

AVLinux

#18 Post by AVLinux »

Plot thickens..

Overkill perhaps but I removed tumbler completely (Geez googling disabling tumbler shows a lot of people unhappy with it!). Anyway... Rebooted and same problem even with tumbler out of the picture.. This issue is pushing me further into the loving arms of LXDE!

Gotta run a few errands, I'll check back later and do some more googling, thanks so far!!

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#19 Post by dolphin_oracle »

welp, not tumbler then. :p

Steve

#20 Post by Steve »

If I were a betting man I’d put my money on zzzfm messing with a library thunar is using. But I’m not. :rolleyes: I’d lose to much. :mad:

Return to “MX Modified”