Snapshot with autologin

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
rasat

Snapshot with autologin

#1 Post by rasat »

In previous snapshots (distribution to others) that I made, the autologin is the setting for the demo user. Yesterday I made one snapshot and it requires login. Is there a change or did I miss something when creating the snapshot?

Adrian
Developer

Re: Snapshot with autologin

#2 Post by Adrian »

Nothing should have changed, that's what I use for Monthly snapshot of MX if this would not work well people would be asked to enter a password.
Please provide more info: at minimum the version of mx-snapshot and flavor (Xfce, KDE?). Also check if you didn't do a "preserve account" by any chance, how is it working now, what account do you see it asks for password, is "demo" working?

rasat

#3 Post by rasat »

I used an older iso. I downloaded the latest MX-21_March_x64.iso, which works fine and does autologin. This means that I have to redo my latest respin. :(

Adrian
Developer

#4 Post by Adrian »

Even if using an old ISO it's a good idea to update the tools before taking a snapshot or installing, there's no point in using old apps that have bugs that have already been fixed.

rasat

#5 Post by rasat »

I jumped too quickly to conclusion before testing the actual purpose of the snapshot that I am doing. Downloaded the latest MX iso and made one snapshot.

The difference becomes when the Xfce is removed, replaced with another DE/WM. From previous iso, now the file /usr/share/xsessions/lightdm-xsession.desktop must be there. Also be modified as per the DE/WM. In my case, I removed the file, causing the demo login. Without renaming the file, only changed the content, it works fine.

xsessions/lightdm-xsession.desktop

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=Default
Exec=fvwm3
Icon=
Type=Application
I assume, this could have been solved in /etc/lightdm/ ???

Adrian
Developer

#6 Post by Adrian »

OK, that makes sense, if you mess with Desktop environment or DM you might have random results. The configuration to autologin is in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf, if you use another DM you obviously have to set that up to log in automatically, if you remove/readd Xfce then all the bets are off.

Return to “MX Modified”