Trying to install WINE from the website but having problems.  [Solved]

RandomScumbag

Re: Trying to install WINE from the website but having problems.

#11 Post by RandomScumbag »

Makes a lot of sense. Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Never really thought about it like that. I don't know the terminals that well. Above all else the software I was trying to install isnt linux friendly anyway lol. So it was shame. Gonna reinstall tomorrow and work on keeping the system clean and making sure before I go into terminals. I just gotta get better with it. I do love the MX its a very nice Desktop. Thanks for the help.

Buck Fankers

#12 Post by Buck Fankers »

Hey, if you don't mind, I would like to tell you something else. :p Once you have set up your system the way you like it, with all programs installed, with email set up, bookmarks in your browser, when it is all done. Then you can do something really special.

You can with only few mouse clicks create your own personal install-able ISO file. See in MX-Tools: "MX Snapshot"

This snapshot (iso file) will be complete copy of your system. Say you break something, you can use it to re-install your (already configured and set up) system. Or, say you have another computer and you would like to have it set up exactly the same as on first computer. Yes, you guessed it correctly, just use this snapshot iso, put it on USB stick and use it to install it on another computer. How cool is that?!?

Things like this, makes MX perfect in my eyes. No one other comes even close.

RandomScumbag

#13 Post by RandomScumbag »

Yea i made an iso and it was like 40gb, but that was after I downloaded some movies and music and such. I usually do a fresh install every few months depending how everything is going. I distro Hop a lot, but i liked MX and needed a Main OS . I actually printed your other post on a sticker and saved it to not follow guides and why lol. So after like Fresh Installs and setting everything up, I am pretty solid, its when I am trying to do stuff I don't know how to do is when things get all finicky.

SwampRabbit

#14 Post by SwampRabbit »

@RandomScumbag You can use MX Repo Manager > last tab to disable repos you may have enabled to install WINE.

You don't have to enable or disable repos after you fix the ones you added.

Then you can try to go back to MX Package Installer > Popular Applications > use the search bar upper right and search for "wine" and check the box and reinstall WINE

What application are you trying to install with WINE?

Don't hesitate to ask a question, no question is bad.
NEW USERS START HERE FAQS, MX Manual, and How to Break Your System - Don't use Ubuntu PPAs! Always post your Quick System Info (QSI) when asking for help.

RandomScumbag

#15 Post by RandomScumbag »

I was trying to Install Serato and DeckBoard some DJ software. I am not too familiar with removing repos, never had to do anything like that before. I usually search before I ask, but I never used wine before, I thought It was just a program that installed windows programs. Maybe I am using it wrong or something, but I added and clicked ok and it didn't do anything. I do like MIXXX though once I get my board back ill flirt around on that. I thoroughly love Linux much more than windows, but I do keep windows on a separate Hard Drive for times when I need it. But i mostly just use it for iTunes and the DJ software.

towwire

#16 Post by towwire »

A few tips on Wine. You can install from Popular Apps or Wine-staging from MX Test Repo. After installed go to Menu==>Other Configure Wine. Look at all the tabs, test sound and say what Windows Version.

To installed a Windows Program you can use the Menu==>Other Uninstall Wine Software, it has an Install..Button or right click on the file and "Open With 'Wine Windows Program Loader'.

You will fine some programs that will not install and others that look like they installed fine but will not run.

Go here and look at the Wine AppDB.
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... nding=true

You can always ask for help but there may not be a way to make it work.

Return to “General”