Finally Chose a Disto today... Guess Which One! MX LINUX

Here you can post about what you did to get MX to work right with your computer or if hardware worked right out of the box for you. This is for the computers and/or hardware that is normally hard to get working right in Linux or MX.
RandomScumbag

Finally Chose a Disto today... Guess Which One! MX LINUX

#1 Post by RandomScumbag »

alright alright alright.... So back story, I have a busted ass T520 ThinkPad which I love but I got it for cheap like 90$ with a charger 250msata drive and 8gb ram. I love ThinkPad laptops, at least the earlier ones. My Main Laptop for the last 2 years has been a T430 with 16gb ram i5 processor with Manjaro and Windows 10 as a dual boot. Separate hard drives. I loved Manjaro, I learned a lot on it. Why I chose to step away? Well its a New Year I usually reformat everyone year back up everything go through pictures music and stuff I haven't seen. My desktop was a mess. I had copies of pictures of full folders all over the place. I took my time and backed up things slowly but effectively. Got rid of the doubles if there are still doubles I will get to them eventually. Anyway
So after hopping through im guessing 20 different distro's just skimming through them I landed on MX Linux. I went in no particular order or anything like that. I tried Endeavour, Ubuntu, Fedora, Feren, OpenSuse, Zorin, there was a lot. I tried all versions along the way, GNOME XFCE, Openbox, KDE is my personaly favorite and I needed some comfort. Anyway, I got to MX Linux.... I am nervous about switching to Debian, as I haven't really used it before. I am not a professional Linux user, I am always looking up how to install stuff, remove stuff, I forget commands, I make cheat sheets for things I try to figure out watching videos and such on youtube.
Out the Box, some of the things I check are everything thats installed in it first, how much space it takes on my hard drive after install, as I download a lot, do video edits and music cuts. I had pretty much most of the stuff I normally use for the day to day and a little extra. Some of the programs same functions just different names which isn't too hard to find. Gparted I used a lot, KDE Partion Manager... simple things like that. One Program I never used before but absolutely love is the music player Clementine. Love the look and simplicity of it. The in graphic window to see all my music in the music folder. Simply click and play and it plays in the same window right next to the folder so you can see everything there.
All in All, I am very happy with this OS. I'm a simple computer user who likes to browse, listen to music, sort through pictures, edit pictures and videos. Its been quite a pleasure setting things up. I haven't banged my head on the keyboard, or spent hours looking things up. I wanted something that was less complexxed, easier to navigate. Knowing where things should be, but with different names, helps me learn more about whats in here. Aside form the 1 click everything else is very enjoyable. I just wanted to share my story and give a huge thank you to the MX LINUX developers. Thank You.

0S: MX x86_64 Kernel 5.10.0-9-amd64 shell bash 5.1.4 DE: Plasma 5.20.5 is my current system.

Maybe this helps someone trying to figure out what they want to try? If they should try MX Linux etc.... if not, Thanks for reading.

Arnox

Re: Finally Chose a Disto today... Guess Which One! MX LINUX

#2 Post by Arnox »

Some beginning tips for you.

When downloading and installing new packages, go through the Popular Applications tab. If it's not in the Popular Applications, then check the Stable Repo. If it's not in the Stable Repo, check the MX Test Repo and the Debian Backports next. If it's not in those either, then check the Flatpaks. (It'll most likely be there, if anywhere.) But if for some weird reason, it's not in any of those, you'll probably have to go to the package creator's website and try to download a .deb package there. Use this pattern and 99.99% of the time, you'll find what you're looking for. This process also ensures that you'll get the most stable version of the package available to MX Linux. Now if you have a package both in, say, the Stable Repo and Flatpak Repo, it all depends on whether you want the latest and greatest (flatpak) or the most stable (Stable Repo). I always go with the most stable unless I REALLY want the latest features of that package for whatever reason.

RandomScumbag

#3 Post by RandomScumbag »

Thank you very much for the tip. Im saving it in my MX folder in case that happens. I for the most part am just trying to stick to whats available until I get to that road. But I appreciate it a lot. I sometimes get distracted doing 5 things at once and have to reset myself back to one thing at one time.

Stuart_M

#4 Post by Stuart_M »

RandomScumbag wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:12 am Aside form the 1 click everything else is very enjoyable.
If you're referring to the single-click or double-click option, that is the first thing I change when installing MX Linux.

Go to MX Tweak > "Config Options" tab > disable (un-check) "Enable single-click on desktop" and "Enable single-click in Thunar File Manager" as shown in the below image.
MX_Tweak_Single-click.png

Edit: Just remembered that you're using Plasma so it may not be possible with you. I am using MX-19.4 Xfce and the image is from that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Huckleberry Finn

#5 Post by Huckleberry Finn »

On KDE it may be here: "System Settings" => "Workspace Behavior" : General Behavior

(I'm on Xfce, too at the moment)

richb
Administrator

#6 Post by richb »

Huckleberry Finn wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:26 am On KDE it may be here: "System Settings" => "Workspace Behavior" : General Behavior

(I'm on Xfce, too at the moment)
It is there.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

SwampRabbit

#7 Post by SwampRabbit »

Welcome!

You've gotten good advice and I'm sure you'll get even more from the smart folks here.

A few tidbits from me...

- you can bookmark this thread on the forum using the "wrench icon" at the top of the thread, you can then find and access it quickly from User Control Panel by clicking on your screen name in the upper right
- read the forum guides, announcements, FAQs, and bookmark ones you want for future reference
- take MX Tour (you can find it in the main menu, MX Tools, and MX Welcome) some of it you may know already, but other good nuggets of info in it
- remember there is a FAQ and Manual on your desktop

Edit: and these are always worth having/knowing...

NEW USERS START HERE FAQS, MX Manual, and How to Break Your System - Don't use Ubuntu PPAs! Always post your Quick System Info (QSI) when asking for help.
NEW USERS START HERE FAQS, MX Manual, and How to Break Your System - Don't use Ubuntu PPAs! Always post your Quick System Info (QSI) when asking for help.

LU344928

#8 Post by LU344928 »

Congratulations. You found where it's at.

MX forum is a super cool chill out place :number1: :happy: :pint:
As in certain cults it is possible to kill a process if you know its true name.
-- Ken Thompson and Dennis M. Ritchie

RandomScumbag

#9 Post by RandomScumbag »

Stuart_M wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:20 am
RandomScumbag wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:12 am Aside form the 1 click everything else is very enjoyable.
If you're referring to the single-click or double-click option, that is the first thing I change when installing MX Linux.

Go to MX Tweak > "Config Options" tab > disable (un-check) "Enable single-click on desktop" and "Enable single-click in Thunar File Manager" as shown in the below image.MX_Tweak_Single-click.png
Edit: Just remembered that you're using Plasma so it may not be possible with you. I am using MX-19.4 Xfce and the image is from that.
Yea its the same on plasma. It was the first thing I changed when I installed.... and honestly thats been the only thing I had to change other than a few programs and defaults. Otherwise its a great system. Getting used to the program names is fun, Some of them do more than I am used to. Definitely helps out a lot having an idea of where stuff is and finding all this other stuff I didn't know was out. One of the major plus's in distro hopping. I didn't want to just settle on a main OS until I found one that just really clicked. That is what happened with me and Manjaro when I stumbled onto it. I went down the Distro Watch list, and then just went one or 2 every ten or so. Not a fan of that site as far as listings go, but I get it, based on numbers. It is informative though. Just anyone checking for a new OS, boot it up, look at all applications see whats coming with it.... is there too much stuff, not enough? not what your looking for? Keep looking there's a Verison of Linux for everyone. There is just soo many options.

RandomScumbag

#10 Post by RandomScumbag »

SwampRabbit wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:16 am Welcome!

You've gotten good advice and I'm sure you'll get even more from the smart folks here.

A few tidbits from me...

- you can bookmark this thread on the forum using the "wrench icon" at the top of the thread, you can then find and access it quickly from User Control Panel by clicking on your screen name in the upper right
- read the forum guides, announcements, FAQs, and bookmark ones you want for future reference
- take MX Tour (you can find it in the main menu, MX Tools, and MX Welcome) some of it you may know already, but other good nuggets of info in it
- remember there is a FAQ and Manual on your desktop

Edit: and these are always worth having/knowing...

Yea I have it as my first book mark. I am not much of a Forum guy, I usually read em but never interact in them if you know what I mean. Most of the questions are usually answered. I do my best to figure it out, and jot a note. I hate doing something, then a few days or weeks or months later, have to go searching for it again. Its not bad though you look up one thing you find 10 more things lol

Return to “Success Stories”