Does Brave deserve its place in repositories?  [Solved]

danielson

Does Brave deserve its place in repositories?

#1 Post by danielson »

Maybe not?

"Not sure who posted this in HackerNews. Thanks for all the feedback.

I will be trying Firefox. So many people have recommended it. It’s something I have forgotten over the last couple of years and before that it frequently caused issues and was only my secondary browser for testing.
There is nothing sinister about the decision or PR at work. I tried installing extensions, it didn’t work, I uninstalled and made a note of why I am doing it. Interpretations are all yours.

Update 2:

This is for people suggesting I jumped the gun and probably didn’t take the time to understand the real problem. I am an Chrome extension author myself, I had just published a new version of it only 8 hours before and tested installation on Brave and Chrome. So, I understand the issue. And I have linked to GitHub issues where this has been discussed.

Original Post

I have been using the Brave Browser for almost 2 years I think. @logic introduced it to me at some point and it has been my primary browser both in Desktop and Mobile, home and office computers since then.

I got my first heads up when I came across a post on HackerNews about Brave misbehaving due to the “Brave backend servers” being unreachable. It struck me as strange when a comment on the Github ticket mentioned that Brave servers need to be up for Brave to function."

https://arunmozhi.in/2021/12/06/goodbye-brave/

Adrian
Developer

Re: Does Brave deserve its place in repositories?

#2 Post by Adrian »

I have been using the Brave Browser for almost 2 years I think.
Sounds like it deserves its place only on this fact alone.

timkb4cq
Developer

Re: Does Brave deserve its place in repositories?

#3 Post by timkb4cq »

If you had read all the followup on the thread you linked, you would see that Brave does not depend on Brave servers being up to function. Rather, there is a proxy set up so you don't have to connect directly to Google to install Chrome extensions. That proxy requires a key. The user's version of Brave was a year out-of-date so it didn't have the correct key.

Normal browsing was unaffected. Updating Brave would have allowed installing extensions again. And installing an extension always requires the server the extension is hosted on be accessible. This is just FUD, not a serious argument against Brave.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

danielson

Re: Does Brave deserve its place in repositories?  [Solved]

#4 Post by danielson »

Wish i could be as geeky as you guys!

Appreciate the enlightening words! :happy:

Return to “MX Repositories”