"ragout" ... really?

Help on all MX Re-spins
r1sen

"ragout" ... really?

#1 Post by r1sen »

So I have been toying with the "ragout" mx arm build and I am sorry... was this rushed? Was there little to no attention to detail as far as stability and use? Was this nothing more then a mashup of packages piped onto an arm kernel? For one it ships entirely with only sysD? Not even the sysD shim + sysV? and.. what is with the multi layered bloat? By default there are active lxde, openbox and xfce components and full desktop and window managers? The repo's are grandfathered and not updated? This was the release final? A thousand random wallpapers, window managers with no session tag from lightDM so they just sit idly by wasting space? Just stings to see and think there was zero testing and thought into rolling out a distro based off a sysD free distro that one only has a sysD build and choosing flux by default you seemingly "forgot" to trim all the bloat that only works if you are running xfce4?

*PS.. also if you are going to layer ontop of a deb kernerl.. perhaps layout sysV and compile the binaries of sysD independent packages first? Just a thought..*
Last edited by r1sen on Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

SwampRabbit

Re: "ragout" ... really?

#2 Post by SwampRabbit »

:popcorn:
NEW USERS START HERE FAQS, MX Manual, and How to Break Your System - Don't use Ubuntu PPAs! Always post your Quick System Info (QSI) when asking for help.

richb
Administrator

#3 Post by richb »

As Moderator

Forum image rules are mages shall be a maximum of 640 x 620. Larger images disrupt the flow of the topic.I see you are using Imgur. Pick the "Large" image link which meets Forum Requirements. I have removed the img tags. The image can be viewed directly by clicking the image link.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Jerry3904
Administrator

#4 Post by Jerry3904 »

MX Linux "Ragout" is a personal respin, not an official MX release. I was the lead, so will make only a few comments and corrections.

1) The OS is based on and designed to be fully compliant with Rasbian, which requires a sysD boot. It is entirely distinct from the MX family approach.
2) I named it "Ragout" ("stew" in French, right?) precisely to point to the mixture of app sources, which I also explicitly mentioned in the Blog announcement. Rasbian itself brings in the lxde and openbox components, and the few Xfce pieces derive from personal preference and a desire to reduce separate maintenance demands.
3) Rasbian, like MX, is based on Debian Stable; there is a recent Bullseye release, but it is essentially an early Beta and not usable for any development purposes IMO.

If you have any interest in why other people download, check out this video from a highly-respected video reviewer with 40K followers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Me1dz86qLI
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

richb
Administrator

#5 Post by richb »

Moderator Comment:
Topic is locked. No help asked for, criticisms are made and response to same are made.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Return to “MX Respins”