FVWM configs & addon

rasat

Re: FVWM3 configs & addon

#51 Post by rasat »

Today I finished the configs that I have had in mind that go well along the workflow and efficiency. The behavior has similarities to the early 90s Window Managers that I really liked. What was missing was the style and beauty. Now, it became my new work desk and WM (FVWM)

manyroads

#52 Post by manyroads »

You have put in a lot of hard work there @rasat. Enjoy! Enjoy!
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

rasat

#53 Post by rasat »

TAdam wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:03 pm FYI for those following along here -- I've released fvwm3-1.0.2. See: https://github.com/fvwmorg/fvwm3/releases/tag/1.0.2
The new update is in the MX Test Repo. It works fine.

rasat

#54 Post by rasat »

I was reading about the powerful feature of FVWM’s virtual desktop… “which allows you to place windows on an area much larger than the actual size of the visible display”. Before starting to create the config, there are a few questions.

1. Is it possible to maximize the window size to 4 pages (0-3)? If possible, what’s the geometry (Action Maximize ? ?).
2. Can there be a different wallpaper for each page? Or, best if one image covers the four pages.

An illustrated screenshot of Gimp on virtual pages.

TAdam

#55 Post by TAdam »

rasat wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:50 pm 1. Is it possible to maximize the window size to 4 pages (0-3)? If possible, what’s the geometry (Action Maximize ? ?).
No, it's not possible.
rasat wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:50 pm 2. Can there be a different wallpaper for each page? Or, best if one image covers the four pages.
See FvwmBacker, but also see: https://github.com/fvwmorg/fvwm3/issues/25

-- Thomas

rasat

#56 Post by rasat »

TAdam wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:03 pm
rasat wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:50 pm 1. Is it possible to maximize the window size to 4 pages (0-3)? If possible, what’s the geometry (Action Maximize ? ?).
No, it's not possible.
Did a test, it works amongst the pages (not out of desktop area). With the below configs, the window max size is 4 pages (2x2).

Code: Select all

DesktopSize "2x2"
Action Maximize 197 190" #(width / height)
This is a great feature for image and desktop publishing apps to work with a full-view window simply by using the pager or scroll with mouse cursor (EdgeScroll 100 100). For example, in Gimp you can use a large image on zoom 100% and 200%. Even larger with DesktopSize "3x3", etc.

rasat

#57 Post by rasat »

After decades of working on a "cramed" screen, it makes a big difference in 3x2 virtual window. One new extension for FVWM. With a button, it changes the desk size with a new wallpaper and returns with another. Gimp in action...

My favorite Gnome lost its usefulness. It was a good model of what can be expected by a desktop. FVWM has the means.... easy to create the modules by yourself. Does whatever is needed with an easy script language. And many ready-made samples are there, though scattered. The best part, it never breaks... allows any experiment. :number1:

rasat

#58 Post by rasat »

A few have been asking what do I mean by aiming with the myExt to make daily computer "workflow simpler and more efficient". I found an interesting sample and a config that directly deals with this question. it is related to virtual window management function. Patrick tells that his workflow is interrupt-driven, so it’s really a stack; you know, start one thing, get interrupted, do new task, finish new task, return to old task. So my FVWM config uses the EdgeCommand instruction to allow me to pan right or left into other pages.
https://fvwmforums.org/t/getting-things ... onfig/1135

Sounds familiar.... "start a new window, do work, get interrupted, move right into new space, open a new window, do work, close window, pan left to old task". :) To minimize this "stress" effect is to use EdgeCommand. In his post, there is one sample animated GIF showing when moving with the cursor from one virtual page to another.
https://jslf.app/projects/fvwm/FVWM-demo.gif

I modified the virtualDesk extension with this config. With the latest beta release FVWM3 1.0.2-79, the panning config works fine in 3x2 desk area. I could not figure out what off-screen window config supposed to do. Is it to auto iconify the windows in root area when scrolling into the next page?

rasat

#59 Post by rasat »

Here is one new feature for myExt ver.3.0 which I have wanted for a long time. The Window List feature is nice but to make it as an "Activity Overview" similar to Gnome and Xfdashboard without featuring as full screen, is much better. Became awesome with the colorset Transparent and ParentalRelativity option showing the screen wallpaper as background for the window list thumbnails.

Return to “Community Submissions”