News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

ZyGrib please?

Stevo
Developer

Re: ZyGrib please?

Post by Stevo » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:41 pm

Yes, it builds and installs on MX 15. We already had "qwt" packages that it needs in the MX 15 test repo: http://mxrepo.com/mx/testrepo/pool/test/q/qwt/

Ancient_Hermit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Ancient_Hermit » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:04 am

Stevo wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:18 pm
Often we can still build new programs even for MX 15. I'm building new releases of Pale Moon, Deadbeef, and the Liquorix kernel for it right now, so it's not dead yet!

I'll take a look at ZyGrib after those finish cooking.
Well the fact is, a mate and I already started planning for a Ryzen 3 build, maybe a soon to be Volkscomputer if you like. Maybe it'll be a popular enough format to commonly have stuff fit right. Announcements in the next week or three might rewrite that, but we can only wait and see.

Thanks big time for taking a look at ZyGrib, that might be very handy too if cash turns out to be longer in the saving than hoped. ;o)
Cheers,
Ian

Ancient_Hermit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Ancient_Hermit » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:10 am

Stevo wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:41 pm
Yes, it builds and installs on MX 15. We already had "qwt" packages that it needs in the MX 15 test repo: http://mxrepo.com/mx/testrepo/pool/test/q/qwt/
That sounds like good news!

This never came up before, but how do I safely make use of it? Temporary addition to synaptic. Manually select it from there for update, then lose the test repo entry from synaptic? I could see me getting a few more problematic updates to other things knowing my luck! LOL ;o)

Sure, I am nervous, crazy not to be cautious when you know your own limits! ;)

Oh, might it just get added to normal updates? Should have asked that first I guess.
Cheers,
Ian

asqwerth
Developer

Post by asqwerth » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:25 am

Ancient_Hermit wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:10 am
how do I safely make use of it? Temporary addition to synaptic. Manually select it from there for update, then lose the test repo entry from synaptic? ...
Nope. Use MX Packageinstaller, not Synaptic. Click on Test Repo tab and install from that. That only opens up Test Repo long enough to install what you want, then disables it again and refreshes your package list again. Voila, No problem with forgetting to disable it manually!
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Stevo
Developer

Post by Stevo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:17 pm

MX 15/16 doesn't support Ryzen processors out of the box, though, so you should be be doing an upgrade for those.

Ancient_Hermit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Ancient_Hermit » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:56 pm

asqwerth wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:25 am
Ancient_Hermit wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:10 am
how do I safely make use of it? Temporary addition to synaptic. Manually select it from there for update, then lose the test repo entry from synaptic? ...
Nope. Use MX Packageinstaller, not Synaptic. Click on Test Repo tab and install from that. That only opens up Test Repo long enough to install what you want, then disables it again and refreshes your package list again. Voila, No problem with forgetting to disable it manually!
Right, never had to use that before, was rather fun. I like that it does what I would intend to do, but as you say, it remembers to do all of it! ;)

Thank you.

A slight oddity though; it said it was over writing 6.x.x with 8.0.1. When I run ZyGrib, the title bar and about in the help menu say it's version 7. Heck it's s bit further forward for all that! LOL
Cheers,
Ian

Ancient_Hermit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Ancient_Hermit » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:05 pm

Stevo wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:17 pm
MX 15/16 doesn't support Ryzen processors out of the box, though, so you should be be doing an upgrade for those.
Yep, as I hinted in an earlier post the Ryzen Project is aimed at moving up to MX 18 and maybe to 19 as and when that seems sensible.

I'll likely run the old one as it is (15), while we assess the new set up once it's built with 18. I'd imagine my mate will use his new one right away on 18, and tinker with other distros on the old one, as his got a little problematic of late.

Not sure of the time frame for it all, but if things go well and industry announcements pan out as hoped in the next week or two then the build could start as early as the end of this month or the start of the next. If not then across the rest of summer, autumn and maybe even further towards next year. A lot of it is out of my hands.
Cheers,
Ian

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX-15/16”