News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Clicking a Link in an email doesn't oper Firefox...until later. - Resolved

Help for Current Versions of MX
CrackMeUp
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: Clicking a Link in an email doesn't oper Firefox...until later.

Post by CrackMeUp » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:39 pm

Good! ... as I suspected ... the first part of the file (Default Applications) is fine ... noticed that you use TB for newsfeeds etc ... that quite fine too. Now you'll notice that the second part "Added Associations" is faulty. For example, the first line!

Code: Select all

x-scheme-handler/http=exo-web-browser.desktop;userapp-Thunderbird-KKWY2Z.desktop;userapp-Firefox-7KMV0Z.desktop;userapp-Waterfox-9UCO3Z.desktop;
TB is NOT a web browser NOR is it an FTP client! ... and neither should TB be included in the next 10 entries following ...The first 11 entries in "Added Associations" should look like this (unless you really need Waterfox, feel free to edit it out as well. Personally, I would so as to have only one browser handling things properly):

Code: Select all

x-scheme-handler/http=exo-web-browser.desktop;userapp-Firefox-7KMV0Z.desktop;userapp-Waterfox-9UCO3Z.desktop;
x-scheme-handler/https=exo-web-browser.desktop;userapp-Firefox-7KMV0Z.desktop;userapp-Waterfox-9UCO3Z.desktop;
x-scheme-handler/ftp=userapp-Firefox-7KMV0Z.desktop;userapp-Waterfox-9UCO3Z.desktop;
x-scheme-handler/chrome=userapp-Firefox-7KMV0Z.desktop;userapp-Waterfox-9UCO3Z.desktop;
text/html=userapp-Firefox-7KMV0Z.desktop;userapp-Waterfox-9UCO3Z.desktop;
application/x-extension-htm=userapp-Firefox-7KMV0Z.desktop;userapp-Waterfox-9UCO3Z.desktop;
application/x-extension-html=userapp-Firefox-7KMV0Z.desktop;userapp-Waterfox-9UCO3Z.desktop;
application/x-extension-shtml=userapp-Firefox-7KMV0Z.desktop;userapp-Waterfox-9UCO3Z.desktop;
application/xhtml+xml=userapp-Firefox-7KMV0Z.desktop;userapp-Waterfox-9UCO3Z.desktop;
application/x-extension-xhtml=userapp-Firefox-7KMV0Z.desktop;userapp-Waterfox-9UCO3Z.desktop;
application/x-extension-xht=userapp-Firefox-7KMV0Z.desktop;userapp-Waterfox-9UCO3Z.desktop;
So for your own curiosity, compare with what you sent me and you'll see the problem ... TB hijacks functions of web-browsers! Just copy/paste the edits I made replacing the first 11 lines in the "Added Associations" section of the file and save the file. ... I assume this is from your .config folder ... halfway home ... send me the next one from your .local folder and we're down the homestretch ... thanks Falcon ...
Last edited by CrackMeUp on Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Falcon
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Falcon » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:51 pm

Thanks, CrackMeUp. I'm kind of "under the weather" today, but I should be able to get to this tomorrow and then I'll update you with the next file.

CrackMeUp
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by CrackMeUp » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:59 pm

Good! ... take care ... see you tomorrow ...

richb
Administrator

Post by richb » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:01 pm

Please use code tags when posting code type data. Quotes are for quoting a person or snippet from an article. Highlight the text and click on the </> symbol at the top of the text block.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 18.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

CrackMeUp
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by CrackMeUp » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:09 pm

Thanks richb ... didn't know till now ... done ...

Jerry3904
Administrator

Post by Jerry3904 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:22 pm

@CMU: I see that now, good stuff!
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB
Personal: XPS 13, 4.18.0-19.3-liquorix, 4 GB

richb
Administrator

Post by richb » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:27 pm

CrackMeUp wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:09 pm
Thanks richb ... didn't know till now ... done ...
Thank you for the quick edit.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 18.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

sunrat
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by sunrat » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:53 pm

manyroads wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:35 pm
Have you tried this? (I just jumped in at the end here...)

https://www.lifewire.com/change-the-def ... rd-2532751
This may be the only thing you need to set if it is incorrect, takes about a minute.
I just checked all my other settings in mimeapps and userprefs and none of them are set as people are advising but links in TB always open in FF when I click on them. Try it before you start doing complicated edits in config files.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Post by JayM » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:48 pm

FYI I just looked at my own Edit/Preferences/Attachments/Incoming settings in Thunderbird and I don't have anything at all listed in the Content Type column, yet when I click on a URL in an email message it opens it with my default browser, which is Firefox.

I don't want to read through all three pages again, but has the OP ever tried creating a new MX user account, logging in as that user, and seeing whether TB and FF work together as expected?

I also wonder what his default mail client and browser are set to in Settings/Settings Manager? The site below tells how to set your default browser when doing so from within the browser itself isn't working properly, which sounds like what might be happening here: choosing Firefox as thedefault isn't "sticking" and Falcon keeps being asked over and over if he wants Firefox to be the default browser. They give instructions for how to do it in Ubuntu and in KDE-based distros, but in Xfce it's where I stated.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/se ... s-not-work
If Settings/Settings Manager already says Firefox he might try changing it to a different browser, logging out and in, changing it back to FF, then logging out and in again.
Last edited by JayM on Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

CrackMeUp
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by CrackMeUp » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:56 pm

@sunrat
Already partially agreed with manyroads as per this prior post #29 ... viewtopic.php?p=508969#p508969 ... really important that Falcon adjusts the mime-settings FIRST, then afterwards making it permanent by following Jerry3904's submission here: https://mxlinux.org/wiki/applications/thunderbird/ might work (no guarantees, as I've tried it before and didn't fully resolve the issue). That being said, I still find Jerry's summary to be a convenient place to get the info rather than having to gaggle-around the google for the same info ...

If folks don't read the posts au complet, it makes it really difficult to help others to remain in-focus. I admire Falcon, as a total newbie, that the problem was clearly stated and his responses to help also clearly and meticulously stated as to how nothing worked for him yet. So please let Falcon do as I ask and don't confuse matters more than it already is by chiming in on what's already been said ... please!

There's absolutely nothing complicated about adjusting user-configs as also there is nothing "wrong" adjusting grub-configs as root ... when stuff needs to be done right, you just do it when necessary.
Last edited by CrackMeUp on Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “MX Help”