News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.2 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

{Solved} More from Dedo

Bluesguy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: More from Dedo

Post by Bluesguy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:51 am

@asqwerth
I am offering folks the opportunity to amend/restate/rethink what only 2 of us have proposed in this thread thus far ... in 2 sentences if possible --- that's what I meant clearly by "sounds right" ... reread it and weep. ... Not asking for a diatribe ...

I also made it abundantly clear that the question has been on my mind over the years MX has been in existence ... I'm NOT Dedo's spokesman or lackey ... get that right ... as for his discomfort with some small Distros closing shop, he does have a point. My POINT here in this thread is that MX SHOULD say something concrete, something that sounds right, in roughly 2 sentences or less regarding it's time-frame longevity support from one Stable release to another. Is that so difficult to grasp? Unless, of course, MX ends up like some of those you mentioned ... and THAT too would be assuaged by those who worry like Dedo ... so why not do it? I know that Adrian is one of the Devs, but he didn't offer to make a contribution ... he simply said what he didn't like ... his prerogative, of course.

So let's try to work together in a creative manner and perhaps one day the Devs just might chime in, accept something, contribute something, and thank us for our efforts.

Let me add something here on my own production. I am a retired person. I still get the odd contract as an IT resource-person, Open Source software consultant, helping licensed Techs transition from their use of proprietary software in educational institutions in a number of small towns in my home area ... budget issues that I helped remedy ... everything from outfitting libraries to classroom apps. Alongside of this, I've had a pretty darn successful, and still active, career as a performing artist for nearly 50 years (hence Bluesguy). I operate a small recording studio and also work at home producing audio and video content. Linux has been my platform of choice in all these creative endeavors for going on 10 years now. My distro of choice has been MX from Jessie to the present version. YES, I, too, need to be assured that MX will live on, continue to provide over a reasonable time-span, etc. Normal reinstalls from Stable to Stable is a matter of course for anyone who has ever used/using Linux ... that goes with the territory. But I just can't wrap my head around the fact that a Distro that loves it when the ratings go up, getting deservedly patted on the back for all the toil they doggedly put into their masterpiece, yet cannot precisely say how long will it NORMALLY be before a user should opt to install fresh ... maybe I can rightly shave it down to every 4 years? ... Anything would suffice, even "We gotcha covered for the next 3 years but then we're goin' tits-up" ... much clearer than "the foreseeable future" I dare say ... ;) No one's asking for a guarantee ... just proudly stand up and say what the life-expectancy truly is ... in 2 sentences of course ...
Last edited by Bluesguy on Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

JayM
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by JayM » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:36 am

There are no guarantees that even Debian, CentOS, Arch, *buntu or Slackware won't go belly-up at any time. Same for, I suppose, Microsoft or Apple. Companies do go bankrupt, or get bought out, or are destroyed by vulture capitalists. Volunteer devs of Linux distros do get burned out sometimes, get their dream-come-true day job and don't have time to support their distro anymore, or decide to move to Bali and join a Buddhist monastery. Whatever. Life is uncertain, which is why you should always eat dessert first.

It's the one-person distros like PCLOS that kind of worry me. What if something happened to Texstar, God forbid? He's pretty much the lone developer, package manager and support lead for that distro. People might end up PCLOSless. I'm not too worried that MX is going away within my lifetime, and I'm not even that concerned that it will change in a direction I can't live with (dropping 32-bit system support, changing to systemd init, scrapping Xfce in favor of Unity or whatever that awful Ubuntu touchscreen-centric DE was called, dropping support for computers with <Core i5 CPUs. Ain't happening.) Some devs may go, new faces may come to replace them, but the fact that y'all operate as teams is heartening.

Maybe MX needs a corporate sponsor? I suggest Volkswagen: then you can promise people the moon and just fudge the numbers to make it look as though you're meeting your goals. :laugh:
OS: MX-18.1 x64. Kernel: 4.9.160-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64. CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.6GHz. GPU: AMD RS780 (Radeon HD 3200). Mobo: ASRock A780GM-LE. BIOS: AMI P1.50 (5/25/2010). HDDs: WD Blue 500GB+Seagate Barracuda 1TB. RAM: 8GB (2x4GB 400MHz) DDR2

Bluesguy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Bluesguy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:55 am

I don't think the Folks at MX/antiX would ever go that route ... the corporate sponsor thing ... they're a dedicated group of Devs/Linux enthusiasts/advocates who take great pride in their autonomy. I credit them for that ... it's a tough road being your own "boss", yet very rewarding at the end-of-the-day.

As far as eating dessert first, it's actually, believe or not, good for your digestive system. If you eat your dessert first, roughly 20 minutes before you consume your main menu, it sets up the proper enzymes to break down the meal. This from my life-partner, an Indigenous herbalist/medicine woman (a University lecturer as well) whose practices and teachings stem from savoir/savoir-faire going-back centuries.

Getting back to the discussion ... the adj. foreseeable expresses the notion of "to have prescience of; to know in advance ..." ... an affirmation that you have some prior knowledge. What does MX know in advance regarding the topic of this thread? I'll be hammering away at this thing as long as I feel it doesn't become a total waste of time ... Thus far anticapitalista, (in a very subtle way), by giving info regarding MX's continued support of Jessie until final EOL, provides a clue that Stretch will receive the same treatment, and, given that MX-18 already includes the Debian LTS Team upgrade path in its sources.list.d, as well as the Debian LTS Team having Stretch cued-up, are already elements of a good recipe for a blanket statement. Shouldn't be too hard to do ...

Oops, maybe there's a fear that more hordes will be coming ... :eek:

KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by KBD » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:32 am

MX and its folks aren't going anywhere. They stuck together even after SimplyMEPIS died. How many groups do that? Then they started their own distro built with help from AntiX. This is not a "fly by night" group :)

Bluesguy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Bluesguy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:59 am

Never seriously crossed my mind or shatters my confidence in MX ... JayM and I, for example, were just hashing things out, lookin' at all angles sometimes seriously and often chuckling at how nothing in life comes with a guarantee ... except for someday you die ... dessert/snack time ;)

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Stevo » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:37 pm

JayM wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:36 am
It's the one-person distros like PCLOS that kind of worry me. What if something happened to Texstar, God forbid? He's pretty much the lone developer, package manager and support lead for that distro. People might end up PCLOSless.
Woah...I guess you haven't kept up with the PCLOS news, then. :frown:
My personal prediction is that their community will step up and continue the distro.

Artim
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Artim » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:44 pm

Even Crunchbang survives under a new name and different devs, but it had such a faithful and loyal following it just couldn't be allowed to disappear. Some distros are like that: Immortal no matter what because a "fan base" will do all kinds of stuff to keep a great thing going.

Head_on_a_Stick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Head_on_a_Stick » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:38 am

Artim wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:44 pm
Even Crunchbang survives under a new name and different devs
Not really, the #! repositories died some time ago and both BunsenLabs and #!++ use their own repositories.

Users of #! were always advised to perform a fresh install at the BL forums and BL has moved on quite a bit compared to #!, or at least it had when I was still involved.

JayM
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by JayM » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:14 am

Stevo wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:37 pm
JayM wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:36 am
It's the one-person distros like PCLOS that kind of worry me. What if something happened to Texstar, God forbid? He's pretty much the lone developer, package manager and support lead for that distro. People might end up PCLOSless.
Woah...I guess you haven't kept up with the PCLOS news, then. :frown:
My personal prediction is that their community will step up and continue the distro.
No, I haven't been. :frown:
https://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/201807/page01.html
I'll miss him even though I'm not using that distro any more. I remember one time where I had some issues after a large update and I posted that the update broke my computer. He replied something like, "No, I think your computer broke my update!" I had to laugh out loud at that. (Edit: I found the very topic and his reply: https://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.p ... 09057.html)

Per the article I cited he's hand-picked a team of successors, so hopefully they'll continue to maintain and improve PCLOS. It's still among my favorite distros and I'd probably still be using it today if it supported full-disk encryption on installation better: never being able to make that work is what prompted me to start distro-hopping again after several years with PCLOS and ended up with me choosing Mint as the least-bad alternative (I wish I'd discovered MX at that time though.)
OS: MX-18.1 x64. Kernel: 4.9.160-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64. CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.6GHz. GPU: AMD RS780 (Radeon HD 3200). Mobo: ASRock A780GM-LE. BIOS: AMI P1.50 (5/25/2010). HDDs: WD Blue 500GB+Seagate Barracuda 1TB. RAM: 8GB (2x4GB 400MHz) DDR2

Bluesguy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Bluesguy » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:50 pm

Giving it my last shot ...
MX is based on Debian Stable and, as such, is dependent on Debian's support timetable as it moves from one Stable release to another. MX comes with 3 years of Debian standard version-support and includes 2 more years from the independent Debian LTS Team as that team brings forward its latest updates. Add to this MX's extended support for its own packages, and you have an OS that can easily accommodate users seeking mid-to-long-term productivity features. In short ... 3 years/minimum to 5 years/foreseeable maximum.
Honest (as Richard once said) and a good compromise even using the word foreseeable ;) Let me know if y'all find it befitting as a description for those inquiring about the longevity of MX releases. Sorry 'bout the 4 sentences ... :bagoverhead: tried my best to match my own criterion ...

Return to “General”