Welcome!
Important Alert
Do not upgrade your MX 17 or MX18 system installed or live until further notice. A problem with a kernel upgrade has occurred. A fix will be posted when available.

Important information
-- Required MX 15/16 Repository Changes
-- Information on torrent hosting changes
-- Information on MX15/16 GPG Keys
-- Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities

News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

A shoutout to lz4

dreamer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

A shoutout to lz4

Post by dreamer » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:08 am

I was making snapshots with lzo compression. It took about an hour with one processor core. ISO size around 2,7 GB. Then I decided to try lz4 instead. Amazing speed, an hour became not much more than 6 minutes, so almost a 90 % reduction of ISO creation time. ISO size went from 2,7 to 3,2 GB.

I think some MX Snapshot update reset my config, but my successful config (for low power machines) had two entries like this (in /etc/mx-snapshot.conf):

Code: Select all

mksq_opt=-comp lz4 -processors 1
Unless you want to distribute your ISOs I don't think ISO size is a problem so it can be worth making them bigger and put less strain on your poor little machine (and make them run faster in live-mode?). If you make them on a powerful machine you don't have to worry and can use standard settings.

richb
Administrator

Re: A shoutout to lz4

Post by richb » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:13 am

A lot of discussion on lz4 in this thread

viewtopic.php?f=77&t=47237&hilit=lz4&start=20
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 18.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

Return to “Software / Configuration”