Easy application portfolio 'alteration' (tweaks)

Here is where you can post tips and tricks to share with other users of MX. Do not ask for help in this Forum.
anticapitalista
Developer

Re: Easy application portfolio 'alteration' (tweaks)

#21 Post by anticapitalista »

I meant for a final list not each posters individual choice.
You need to come to some sort of consensus of a list of apps that all users (if we do decide on an uninstall option before installation) can choose to remove/install.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#22 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Maybe it's me, but with all the large harddrives these days... why remove stuff? There is plenty of space.

I don't remove anything at all, not going to bother. I actually liked the loads of things on the install when I first started using it. Why? Because I was afraid of using the installer as I didn't know if I would break things. Everything was on there, so.. no need to start looking into these scary things at all.

I have an alternate suggestion: menu edits.

I have no idea if this is possible, I am not a programmer, but maybe menu entries with tickboxes. So a long list of what can be seen in the menu, untick what you don't want to appear in there. It is still available if you change your mind, just tick the box again. And it is easily getting stuff out of sight if you want a minimal look. Saves the whole uninstall risk of getting rid of too much, people complaining about -that- happening, and takes less time.

*shrug* Just my two cents.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

anticapitalista
Developer

#23 Post by anticapitalista »

As an example, I would suggest the option to remove samba and vpn related stuff before install. Removing this, user benefits, not so much in the space saved, but in a slightly faster boot and lower RAM/CPU usage since those daemons will no longer be present and therefore not running.
Who would benefit from this? Mainly users with those cheap netbook/laptops with 1 GB RAM that are everywhere.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

manyroads

#24 Post by manyroads »

@Eadwine Rose... for many who want to run on old PCs disk space actually is an issue. :frown: As for menu edits, they would work if the Menu Editors were actually reliable, which they are not. As an aside, when I make menu changes I have to use three menu editors just to make certain I get things cleaned, leave no broken menu links, desktops, etc behind, and set up clean menus (I use menulibre, alacarte, and MX Menu editor). But that's all fodder for another time. :p

As a geek/programmer (whose skills are nearly gone):
1. the scripts (mentioned in my original post) offer wonderful flexibility (I am happy with those).
2. I believe the next and perhaps 'best' solution (which I was not promoting but I will here) is to create a stripped down 'no-frills' install (or snapshot) and allow people to use synaptic/MXPI to add what they want to the minimal base.

But truly, I'm perfectly happy leaving everything the way it is. :thumbup: The scripting (cut&paste approach) I offer, in this thread, as a response to a thread on the MX facebook group as well as some of the comments posted around the forum here.

Having said all that. I am happy to take MX18 and create a snapshot that will be devoid of almost all apps and make it available to everyone. About the only apps I'd leave are the MXTools, system tools, and accessories (like terminal, editor, ftp, etc.). :bagoverhead: All someone need do is say they want it and will provide a place for it to be housed/ downloaded from.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Buck Fankers

#25 Post by Buck Fankers »

Off Topic - skip all but @manyroads
manyroads wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:49 am @manyroads The reason I posted the list(s) was because @anticapitalista said someone should show the devs which of the base apps were not used or were replaced. (This is just my list.)
My apology I again come across different I meant to before writing, bad habit and non native english speaker makes it worse. It was meant as suggestion for new thread if there is an interest. Actually, I may start it myself ;-) And thanks for the links, will check them out! About Manjaro, yes I have MX on one computer and Manjaro on another, I had Manjaro before MX, but I'm thinking, didn't decided yet, to focus only on MX, less need to learn and keep up with for this old brain.
manyroads wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:49 am Oh and as for speedcrunch... I just like galculator. :lipsrsealed:
Unforgivable mistake! ;-) :tongue:
Last edited by Buck Fankers on Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thomasl

#26 Post by thomasl »

manyroads wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:06 pmI believe the next and perhaps 'best' solution (which I was not promoting but I will here) is to create a stripped down 'no-frills' install (or snapshot) and allow people to use synaptic/MXPI to add what they want to the minimal base.
I agree. I also think an "official" minimal install ISO would be the "best" option... but I've got a feeling that it's not gonna happen anytime soon :-)

Strictly speaking it is not necessary and doing/maintaining such an ISO would undeniably take some time and effort :-/ Fair enough.
Frugal installs on Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Ryzen 5 4650U/24GB * HP Pavilion Ryzen 3 3300U/16GB * Toshiba R950 i5-3340M/12GB
I have a reservation... What do you mean it's not in the COMPUTER!

manyroads

#27 Post by manyroads »

@Buck Fankers... I made the leap from manjaro to MX myself. All eight (8) of my supported PCs (5 users) are now on MX. I'm a fan of both distros, but I like the way the MX environment works. The support and help is especially wonderful here. :happy:

And yes, just in case you wondered, I am an opinionated old guy. :number1:
Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

manyroads

#28 Post by manyroads »

@thomasl I'm happy to create one... I just need someone else to host, test, and maintain it going forward.

Edit: actually I could just a build a script that strips the base install. That would be much easier to host and 'give away.' I'd still need someone to test the results. Any volunteers??? :p
Pax vobiscum,

manyroads

#29 Post by manyroads »

Okay so I have done both....viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47841
Pax vobiscum,

Richard

#30 Post by Richard »

Sure, I'll test it in 32 bit.
I still have one of those 1GB netbooks that can always benefit from fewer active resources.
Currently running MX18-386 on it, but easy enough to snapshot and test away.

Well, no, I'll use the script, slightly modified for my uses, eg., remove samba, etal.

BTW, I think baobab is on the MX18 iso?
Last edited by Richard on Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

Return to “Tips & Tricks by users”