Welcome!
Important information
-- Required MX 15/16 Repository Changes
-- Information on torrent hosting changes
-- Information on MX15/16 GPG Keys
-- Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities

News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.2 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Discussion about Bible software

User avatar
KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1528
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:52 pm

Discussion about Bible software

#1

Post by KBD » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:31 pm

Let's discuss it here folks.

Really loving TheWord Bible software. Just added more modules. Any modules of note worth adding?
Question--what is the difference between the ESV Bible and ESV 2011?

User avatar
paul1149
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:39 pm

Re: Discussion about Bible software

#2

Post by paul1149 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:54 pm

Good idea to have a dedicated thread. After theWord's own repo, the best place for modules is www.wordmodules.com. If you're into original languages, the Textus Receptus Interlinear is gold. The Apostolic Polyglot will give you the Septuagint in Greek with Strong's, but without morphology. HISB will give you an OT Hebrew interlinear with Strong's. For dictionaries I like Thayer, Vines - Old and New Testament, and Robertson's Word Pictures and Vincent's Word Studies. There's even an abridged TDNT floating around, but it's not legit. Not sure about ESV 2011, but last I checked the NASB tW has is the older edition, with archaic divine pronouns, for some reason.
MX-17.1 x64, on C2D, 6GB RAM, SSD.

User avatar
KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1528
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:52 pm

Re: Discussion about Bible software

#3

Post by KBD » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:06 pm

paul1149 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:54 pm
Good idea to have a dedicated thread. After theWord's own repo, the best place for modules is www.wordmodules.com. If you're into original languages, the Textus Receptus Interlinear is gold. The Apostolic Polyglot will give you the Septuagint in Greek with Strong's, but without morphology. HISB will give you an OT Hebrew interlinear with Strong's. For dictionaries I like Thayer, Vines - Old and New Testament, and Robertson's Word Pictures and Vincent's Word Studies. There's even an abridged TDNT floating around, but it's not legit. Not sure about ESV 2011, but last I checked the NASB tW has is the older edition, with archaic divine pronouns, for some reason.
Thanks for the info and the link! I've been piddling around with learning Biblical Greek for several years. Those interlinear tools are great. I have a print copy of Vine's so I know that is a good one. I just looked up the ESV difference and it looks like they vastly improved the grammar in that 2011 update, got rid of some odd word uses:
http://bible-researcher.com/esv2011changes.pdf
The more I use TheWord software, the better I like it :)

User avatar
KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1528
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:52 pm

Re: Discussion about Bible software

#4

Post by KBD » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:19 pm

what is the twm file type? I just downloaded Thayers and it is not something I can open in wine like the regular modules.
Edit: never mind. I got it to install by going under file, install modules within the program.

User avatar
paul1149
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:39 pm

Re: Discussion about Bible software

#5

Post by paul1149 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:51 pm

KBD wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:19 pm
what is the twm file type? I just downloaded Thayers and it is not something I can open in wine like the regular modules.
I have Thayer's as .twm. You can place that in

Code: Select all

/home/<user>/.wine/drive_c/users/Public/Application Data/The Word/Dictionaries
and when you restart tW it will see it.
MX-17.1 x64, on C2D, 6GB RAM, SSD.

User avatar
KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1528
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:52 pm

Re: Discussion about Bible software

#6

Post by KBD » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:31 pm

paul1149 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:51 pm
KBD wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:19 pm
what is the twm file type? I just downloaded Thayers and it is not something I can open in wine like the regular modules.
I have Thayer's as .twm. You can place that in

Code: Select all

/home/<user>/.wine/drive_c/users/Public/Application Data/The Word/Dictionaries
and when you restart tW it will see it.
Thanks. It took me awhile but I finally figured it out. I was able in TheWord to go under file/install modules/ and find it in my downloads folder to add it. I'm liking TheWord program better than e-sword or Xiphos. It is particularly nice that it highlights corresponding dictionaries and commentaries when you highlight a word or passage.

User avatar
paul1149
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:39 pm

Re: Discussion about Bible software

#7

Post by paul1149 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:01 pm

KBD wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:06 pm

The more I use TheWord software, the better I like it :)
It's an amazing piece of work for a giveaway. It has a lot to it that requires careful setup to unlock, but for real Bible study, it's very much worth it. Very glad you're liking it.
MX-17.1 x64, on C2D, 6GB RAM, SSD.

User avatar
Pierre
Posts: 551
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:23 am

Re: Discussion about Bible software

#8

Post by Pierre » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:54 pm

both theWord and eSword are installed on some of my PCs,
but I've got them both working in Crossover.

now, I'm aware that some Folks do have an Dislike for supporting any Linux Commercial Software,
but, I've had some good results from using this software.

anyway - they both do work on ./wine as well :cool:
and they both have some excellent books that are included by default.
- I've added some paid Extra Books into eSword, but not as yet with the Word program.
as always, you do have to watch their pricing structure, for any add-ons,
but I've been able to get those add-ons for eSword, while they were on a 'mark-down ' special. ..

User avatar
k357k9
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:16 am

Re: Discussion about Bible software

#9

Post by k357k9 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:11 am


User avatar
figueroa
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 377
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:20 am

Re: Discussion about Bible software

#10

Post by figueroa » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:26 am

Following this thread with some interest. I've found that with all of the available on-line Bible resources, it's a waste of my time to run Bible study resources locally. See the last part of this following web page that I haven't been maintaining as vigorously as I should:
http://philippians-1-20.us/biblebcp.htm
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

Post Reply

Return to “Chat”