News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Can't full install to USB stick [Solved]

Help for Current Versions of MX
azrielle
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Can't full install to USB stick

Post by azrielle » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:54 am

Again, I've had good luck with the Samsung Fit which are a similar form-factor.
The Mushkin Atom USB-3 sticks also work quite well, and also have a similar form factor.
Lenovo T430 i5/3320m 8GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 180GB SSD/128GB mSATA
Lenovo X230 i7/3520m 12GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Lenovo X131e i3/3227u 8GB MX17.1/AntiX 17.1 Fluxbox/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Acer AOD257 Atom n570 2GB MX18.1-32bit/Win7SP1 128GB SSD

fehlix
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by fehlix » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:40 am

turtlebay777 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:04 am
Finally I had to make it by running a copy of Mint 17 and using their USB Image Writer, which worked perfectly.
FWIW, Linux Mint‘s mintstick, which provides USB-imagewriter and USB-imageformater is available from mx-testrepo.
BitJam wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:06 am
I'm not sure that is the right code or if it is up to date. When I look at their Python code they seem to be using the "dd" command just like we do but with a different blocksize, which really should be inconsequential (since dd does a byte for byte copy):

Code: Select all

'dd if='+source+' of='+target+' bs=1024'
They meanwhile using pure python code instead of dd shell-command. GIT:Linux Mint:Mintstick
The block size used is now bs=4096. raw_write.py
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

BitJam
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BitJam » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:42 am

IMO usb-3 combined with those tiny form factors really revolutionized the live-usb experience. It's become a lot more fun and at the same time, become more practical.
Will I cry when it's all over?
When I die will I see Heaven?

oldhoghead
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by oldhoghead » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:44 am

BitJam,

fyi if needed, the sdb is the bad stick with mx17, and sdc is good one on another stick MX18

ohh@ohhacer:~
$ sudo lsblk -o name,size,fstype,parttype,label
NAME     SIZE FSTYPE PARTTYPE LABEL
sda    298.1G                 
├─sda1    13G ntfs   0x27     PQSERVICE
├─sda2   100M ntfs   0x7      SYSTEM RESERVED
├─sda3 176.5G ntfs   0x7      Acer
├─sda4     1K        0x5      
├─sda5  97.5G ext4   0x83     rootantiX
└─sda6    11G swap   0x82     swap
sdb       60G                 
├─sdb1    60G ext4   0x83     Live-usb
└─sdb2    50M vfat   0xef     Live-uefi
sdc     14.9G                 
├─sdc1  14.9G ext4   0x83     MX-Live-usb
└─sdc2    50M vfat   0xef     MX-uefi
I am going to use dd to format the bad stick using 1024 and see if it makes a difference.

cheers,
ohh
Laptop Toshiba Satellite A205-S4777
Desktop iMac 5,1 V 1.0

turtlebay777
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by turtlebay777 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:36 pm

BitJam wrote:
If you don't mind, turtlebay777, you could help verify this by running the command:

sudo lsblk -o name,size,fstype,parttype,label $DEV
where $DEV is the live-usb device created by USB Image Writer, such as /dev/sdb. Or you could omit $DEV in which case the command will give output for all of your drives. When I do that for one of our "dd" live-usbs I get this output:

NAME    SIZE FSTYPE  PARTTYPE LABEL
sdd      29G iso9660          antiXlive
├─sdd1  1.4G iso9660 0x0      antiXlive
└─sdd2  3.3M vfat    0xef     MX-uefi

pete@pete-Inspiron-1545 ~ $ sudo lsblk -o name,size,fstype,parttype,label 
[sudo] password for pete: 

lsblk: unknown column: parttype,label
pete@pete-Inspiron-1545

BitJam wrote:
Also, when you said "MX Live USB maker kept failing even with the DD option" did you mean the program errored out or did you mean the live-usb it created failed to boot? Thanks!
It errors with " Error encountered in the Live USB creation process ".

(Oh dear me, I;ve broken the forum rules again in a religious manner by mentioning 'creation' - this time it's not just me who is deeply offended by the mod's deletion of my remarks about God!)

BitJam
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BitJam » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:16 pm

turtlebay777 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:36 pm
It errors with " Error encountered in the Live USB creation process ".
Ah, I misunderstood! Since this thread was about booting problems, I had ASSumed you were talking about fixing a boot problem not a creation problem. If you were running *live-usb-maker on an installed system then there should be a big fat clue in the file /var/log/live-usb-maker.log.

But I have a guess to what the problem was and if I'm right, we may have a solution in the works. It is the problem that Fehlix pointed out recently. Sometimes we have trouble loop mounting the iso file. We need to mount it before we copy from it. If it is easy to get to the system where you had problems then you can test this with these commands:

mkdir iso
sudo mount -o loop,ro $THE_ISO_FILE
ls iso/
sudo umount iso
If the mount command fails then the umount command is not needed. The problem is not the iso file itself but with the file system it is on. There are some file systems that don't allow us to loop mount files. If the command above works then my guess was wrong and we should try to find clues in the log file.

I must be using a different version of lsblk. Sorry about that. I did copy and paste that command from a terminal window. But since this is a creation problem and not a boot problem, the lsblk info is not needed. Thanks for you help.

jeanpaulberes
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by jeanpaulberes » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:36 pm

paul1149 wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:02 pm
I've been trying to install MX18 x32 to a usb stick. I boot to a live usb session, and click on Install, with a second usb stick as the target. I tried twice to first partition the drive, with root, home, and ntfs storage partitions, but this last time I settled for a simple install on the complete drive, save some blank space at the end of the drive that I intended to use as a storage partition later. For the partition scheme I choose GPT in Gparted.

Each time, after the grub menu and subsequent splash, I get a BusyBox command line. If I enter "exit" the response lists the UUID of a partition that has not been found. It changes with each format attempt of mine, but on one of the attempts I traced the UUID back to the root partition. So that seems to be inaccessible.

I am left with an "initramfs" prompt. Does anyone know why this is happening? Thanks.
Hi,
Well I do use MX-18 installed on an USB-key and the /home on the internal disk,
BUT one stuff is for sure, you may NOT choose GPT for the USB-key ...
Simply, delete the partition now on that USB key (during install with the Gparted option ... apply)
Format the USB-key with Ext4
Select / to be on that USB-key
Later don't forget when asked where to put the Grub .. simply select that USB-key (do not change the other params)
This did work well for me
Best regards,
JP
:needcoffee:

paul1149
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by paul1149 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:59 am

jeanpaulberes wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:36 pm

Thank you for your input here. I had read somewhere that GPT was the way to avoid a lot of switching around in the UEFI. Next time I try this, if it doesn't work I will try reverting back to MBR.
MX-17.1 x64, on C2D, 6GB RAM, SSD.

BitJam
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BitJam » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:27 pm

paul1149 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:59 am
jeanpaulberes wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:36 pm

Thank you for your input here. I had read somewhere that GPT was the way to avoid a lot of switching around in the UEFI. Next time I try this, if it doesn't work I will try reverting back to MBR.
AFAIK, gpt partitioning on usb sticks is NOT a problem. For example, our live-usbs boot fine with either msdos or gpt partitioning. We now default to msdos because some Dell systems will not let you boot via both legacy and uefi from the same device if you use gpt partitioning. But until we encountered that Dell bug we created our live-usbs with gpt partitioning by default.

There may be a problem if you want to boot from the usb-stick via uefi instead of legacy. In order to do that, you will need a small fat32 partition for uefi to boot from. This is what we do on the live-usb. Our live-usb boots with all six of these combinations:

1) msdos partitioning & legacy boot
2) msdos partitioning & 64-bit uefi boot
3) msdos partitioning & 32-bit uefi boot
4) gpt partitioning & legacy boot
5) gpt partitioning & 64-bit uefi boot
6) gpt partitioning & 32-bit uefi boot

For some Dell machines, if you use gpt partitioning then will you have to choose either legacy booting or uefi booting when you create the live-usb. if the Dell bios sees that legacy booting is enabled then it automatically disables uefi booting from that same device (when gpt partitioning is used).

paul1149
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by paul1149 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:14 pm

What an odyssey this has been. I have been using the live session stick with persistence, and find it does everything I need a usb stick to do. But then I decided to Remaster it, to incorporate the changes, and found my 4GB stick left too little space for that.

So I tried cloning the 4GB Kingston stick to an 8GB Patriot stick. I used dd, but then Gparted wouldn't expand the still-too-small partition without changing it to fat32, which broke everything.

Then I got the idea to use the 4GB stick to clone itself via the MX usb utility. I could not get this to work, whether the 8gb target stick was gpt or mbr, and this time neither stick is SanDisk! The utility errored out at ~1:47m. I noticed mention of an adjustment in the progress window for a Dell bios bug of some kind (the machine is a Dell Win7). Not sure if that is a factor.

Finally I got the bright idea of trying the install again. I formatted the 8gb usb stick to gpt, gave it a swap partition and a ntfs storage partition. Then I find that the root partition must be 6gb, so I make adjustments. At that point everything seemed to work fine. I'm now booted into the 8gb stick and I don't see any problems. It seems the gpt scheme is not a problem. The only potential problem I see is that, though I created a 50MB fat32 partition for UEFI use, the installer did not offer it as a BOOT choice. I think some uefi's look for that to boot?
MX-17.1 x64, on C2D, 6GB RAM, SSD.

Return to “MX Help”