-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

anyone having trouble with Pale Moon in MX?

Help for Current Versions of MX
lonesomepoint
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

anyone having trouble with Pale Moon in MX?

#1 Post by lonesomepoint » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:23 pm

My Pale Moon browser not working well would obviously be a question for the Pale Moon forum, but before I go there, I wanted to see if by any chance Pale Moon is known to have problems in MX. (I'm using 16.) My PM is extremely slow. It shouldn't be my RAM--I have 8 GB and don't run anything else especially memory-intensive. And none of my other applications are slow. I have repeatedly reinstalled PM and deleted the configuration files in my user account. I don't want to go back to Firefox, but I'm getting frustrated enough to consider it. Screenshot of my memory status attached, in case anyone would like to see.

Whenever I have a problem whose exact cause isn't obvious, my problem is that I'm never sure which element to blame: the application, the desktop environment, the distro, something else, etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by lonesomepoint on Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gordon Cooper
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: anyone having trouble with Pale Moon in MX?

#2 Post by Gordon Cooper » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:31 pm

I use only Pale Moon now and while have not done any speed tests, it does not seem slow for memories of Firefox.
Last edited by Gordon Cooper on Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
Primary OS : MX-17.1 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.
Dell9010, MX-17.1, Win7

dcihon
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#3 Post by dcihon » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:50 pm

I've been using Pale Moon for a while now and haven't had much issues.
I am on version 28.2.2 (64-bit).
I am running MX-18.
I have 16 tabs open at the moment.
My system does have 16 GB RAM.
It does use a lot of CPU and ram.
htop shows 15.9% CPU
2333M VIRT
324M RES
Not sure what those numbers mean.
Let me know if I can help with any more info.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by Stevo » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:48 pm

Can we get a "Quick System Info" from you in code tags?

By "slow", do you mean in opening pages, dialogs, or something else? Have you tried any ad blockers in PM?

If you try the standalone binary from PM, is it also as slow? (no installation required)

dreamer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#5 Post by dreamer » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:34 pm

I'm using Pale Moon 28.2.2 64-bit on MX-17 from MX Package Installer. Works well. No problems. With 9 tabs open PM is currently using 700 MiB RAM and about 20 % CPU on a 1,6 GHz AMD dual-core.

Many sites use close to zero CPU. I don't think there is a leaner full featured browser out there and since this is a weak system I would notice if anything was wrong.

lonesomepoint
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Post by lonesomepoint » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:31 pm

Stevo wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:48 pm

By "slow", do you mean in opening pages, dialogs, or something else? Have you tried any ad blockers in PM?

If you try the standalone binary from PM, is it also as slow? (no installation required)
Sorry, I'm not sure I know how to run the standalone binary. Please advise. About the Quick System Info: where do I find it? In the MX tools?

It's opening pages that's slow. Yes, I always use ad blockers. I still use Noscript--oh. I suppose that could be it, eh? Palemoon's incompatibility with NoScript. Hadn't thought about it. I am also trying ScriptBlock, but am less happy with it, because it seems to have only two settings: on/off; block all scripts or none at all. If I would block every script on a page, it sounds like I don't want to visit the page at all. The reason I've kept NoScript is because I have not found another script blocker that blocks individual scripts.

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#7 Post by fehlix » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:50 pm

lonesomepoint wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:31 pm
Please advise. About the Quick System Info: where do I find it?
Click on Menu and type "quick", click on the displayd icon Quick System Info.
The system information shown will be copied automatically into the clipboard.
Just paste the content into a new post.
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

lonesomepoint
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#8 Post by lonesomepoint » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:51 pm

dcihon wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:50 pm
I've been using Pale Moon for a while now and haven't had much issues.
I am on version 28.2.2 (64-bit).
I am running MX-18.
I have 16 tabs open at the moment.
My system does have 16 GB RAM.
It does use a lot of CPU and ram.
htop shows 15.9% CPU
2333M VIRT
324M RES
Not sure what those numbers mean.
Let me know if I can help with any more info.
MX-18? I didn't know it was released. I'm looking on the site and don't see it.

dreamer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#9 Post by dreamer » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:12 pm

lonesomepoint wrote:
Stevo wrote:

Sorry, I'm not sure I know how to run the standalone binary. Please advise. About the Quick System Info: where do I find it? In the MX tools?

It's opening pages that's slow. Yes, I always use ad blockers. I still use Noscript--oh. I suppose that could be it, eh? Palemoon's incompatibility with NoScript. Hadn't thought about it. I am also trying ScriptBlock, but am less happy with it, because it seems to have only two settings: on/off; block all scripts or none at all. If I would block every script on a page, it sounds like I don't want to visit the page at all. The reason I've kept NoScript is because I have not found another script blocker that blocks individual scripts.
Disable those add-ons and see what happens. Apparently not their favorite topic so NoScript in PM has been restricted to this thread:
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=19119

As for MX-18 it is currently beta.

lonesomepoint
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#10 Post by lonesomepoint » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:09 pm

dreamer wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:12 pm
lonesomepoint wrote:
Stevo wrote:

Disable those add-ons and see what happens. Apparently not their favorite topic so NoScript in PM has been restricted to this thread:
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=19119

As for MX-18 it is currently beta.
Hmm, thanks for indirectly advising me not to try discussing NoScript in the Pale Moon forum. I'll add it to my mental list of topics I'm well-advised to leave alone in various forums. Working on the other advice. I'm waiting for my Pale Moon to display that frustrating slowness again. I had just reinstalled it and now it is working normally for the moment. That's odd, because previously, reinstalling either didn't help or helped only briefly. Therefore, I'm expecting the slowdowns to begin again, after which I can eventually try the advice here.

Return to “MX Help”