News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-18.1 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.3.1 release info here

New users[/u
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

CCExtractor for MakeMKV Flatpaks

towwire
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

CCExtractor for MakeMKV Flatpaks

Post by towwire » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:10 pm

MakeMKV Flatpaks not working as it requires ccextractor.

I have this error when I try to copy the DVD files to my hard drive.
Unable to execute external program 'ccextractor' as its path is not set in preferences
Failed to execute external program 'ccextractor' from location '/app/bin/mmccextr'
https://github.com/CCExtractor/ccextractor

I wanted the DVD file's to take with me on a trip where I didn't have to worry about the DVD's getting scratched. This is MX-17.1.

towwire
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: CCExtractor for MakeMKV Flatpaks

Post by towwire » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:32 pm

I found ccextractor and put it's location in the config for MakeMKV and get this.
Failed to execute external program 'ccextractor' from location '/var/lib/flatpak/app/com.makemkv.MakeMKV/x86_64/stable/active/files/bin'
So I changed it back to this [ "app_ccextractor = "" ]

Don't know how to fix.

towwire
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by towwire » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:56 am

Well with all the searches and trying what some said would work, nothing worked for me. It's a shame but for someone that just wants video and sound, it does do that and fairly fast. I just did a DVD that have 3 main video's and this is what came out.

DVD with 3 video's Resolution 720 x 480 File size & time of video play
3.8 GB time 01:36:57
1.8 GB time 00:44:12
1.8 GB time 00:44:12

Audio
Stereo English
Stereo Spanish
Stereo French

Subtitles
Spanish
French
But NO English Closed Captions → Text

After I unchecked the English Closed Captions → Text box, It took about 12 minutes once I said do it. Of course after done you need to change the file namess, as it names them this way, "Series Name_t00.mkv", "Series Name_t01.mkv" and "Series Name_t02.mkv" etc.

I did get to try the Windows version and it worked great but in Wine there is now way to pick up the DVD drive from the program. Even though I know which drive letter wine has for the DVD drive, MakeMKV does not recognize it as the DVD drive, so you can't even try it.

caprea
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by caprea » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:47 am

After compiling the CCextractor , without moving it to somewhere else, did you allready try the following ?
Open makemkv -->preferences-->generally
Check the expert mode, close makemkv and open it again
Under "advanced" you can now set the CCextractor-executable-location

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Stevo » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:26 pm

Have you tried Handbrake to rip DVDs to mkv files?

towwire
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by towwire » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:09 pm

Stevo wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:26 pm
Have you tried Handbrake to rip DVDs to mkv files?
Yes I do use Handbrake. I have the latest installed. Makemkv is faster and everything is all set, just tell it to do it. It took about 12 minutes to do. That is without the english CC but then it did everything on a friends Windows computer and only about 1 or 2 minutes longer. Shame he lives to far from me.
Screenshot.png
capress I will reply to you later as I did early but got Blocked and lost everything I had typed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

caprea
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by caprea » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:39 pm

Probably I can't help you here so much. I have makemkv compiled on a kind of antiX-media-PC, not as a flatpak.
I rarely use it to rip. The main reason why I installed it is, that I can now view protected blurays via its libmmmd library , with vlc without problems.
I have just seen the option to set the CCextractor-executable-location in advanced mode and thought it maybe isn't so easy to find.

towwire
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by towwire » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:13 pm

caprea wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:39 pm
Probably I can't help you here so much. I have makemkv compiled on a kind of antiX-media-PC, not as a flatpak.
I rarely use it to rip. The main reason why I installed it is, that I can now view protected blurays via its libmmmd library , with vlc without problems.
I have just seen the option to set the CCextractor-executable-location in advanced mode and thought it maybe isn't so easy to find.
I think the it has to do with the Flatpak. I did change the location with every place I found CCextractor. I even built it and used that one and still no go. I have removed Makemkv and reinstall and still the same error. If I disable the English CC then it will work as show in the snapshot. It is faster than handbrake and less setup.

I did try to compile makemkv but had an error. Will try again later, and post any errors.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Stevo » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:50 pm

Handbrake might go faster if you can take advantage of its GPU-assisted acceleration.

towwire
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by towwire » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:43 pm

Stevo wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:50 pm
Handbrake might go faster if you can take advantage of its GPU-assisted acceleration.
And how do I do that?

I can also confirm that this Flatpak does not work...if you want English CC.

I created a new root and a home to install the January MX-18. I did updates and nothing else did I add or change.
Then I add all the programs need to make Makemkv and those needed to do CCextrator, I Complied them etc. I then tested it and it runs find. It did take about 30 minutes longer with the English CC enable.

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX 17/18”