Welcome!
Important information
-- Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities
-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MX-17 to MX-18 update testing

Message
Author
User avatar
mx-ian
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:36 am

Re: MX-17 to MX-18 update testing

#51 Post by mx-ian » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:11 am

Stevo wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:42 pm
mx-ian wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:04 pm
Successful upgrade from 17.1 on a 32-bit laptop.

Happy to accept more updates.

...
If you want to test the 4.19 kernel, it's available if you search in Synaptic for "4.19.0-1" and install the linux-image.
Installed the 4.19 kernel.
The more I update it, the more I like it.

Code: Select all

inxi -S
System:
  Host: MX Kernel: 4.19.0-1-686-pae i686 bits: 32 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 
  Distro: MX-18_386 Continuum March 12  2017
Samsung Netbook N310, Intel Atom N270, 2GB RAM, MX-18 Beta 1 (32-bit PAE)

User avatar
zorzi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:41 pm

Re: MX-17 to MX-18 update testing

#52 Post by zorzi » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:20 pm

Everything went fine.

Just have a font problem with Thunderbird. "g" letter now blinks in messages subjects when I move my mouse cursor. Did someone experience that ?

This can be "solved" by changing fonts or tweaking noto sans fonts to a bigger bigger size.

I suspect the fontconfig & fontconfig-config packages updates.
Desktop: HP Pavilion a6435 (Athlon64 2x 2,6Ghz, Radeon R7-240, Ram 4 Go, HD 500 Go) / MX Linux 17

User avatar
Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 17016
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:07 pm

Re: MX-17 to MX-18 update testing

#53 Post by Stevo » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:25 pm

Can anyone running the 4.19 32-bit kernel install spectre-meltdown-checker and see if it now supports the PTI Meltdown hardening, as was advertised?

Steve (too dang lazy to upgrade in a virtual machine and check for himself)

User avatar
anticapitalista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 5827
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:40 am

Re: MX-17 to MX-18 update testing

#54 Post by anticapitalista » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:48 pm

Stevo wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:25 pm
Can anyone running the 4.19 32-bit kernel install spectre-meltdown-checker and see if it now supports the PTI Meltdown hardening, as was advertised?

Steve (too dang lazy to upgrade in a virtual machine and check for himself)
In VBox

Code: Select all

spectre-meltdown-checker 
Spectre and Meltdown mitigation detection tool v0.40

Checking for vulnerabilities on current system
Kernel is Linux 4.19.0-1-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 4.19.5-1~mx17+1 (2018-11-28) i686
CPU is Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU       M 520  @ 2.40GHz

Hardware check
* Hardware support (CPU microcode) for mitigation techniques
  * Indirect Branch Restricted Speculation (IBRS)
    * SPEC_CTRL MSR is available:  NO 
    * CPU indicates IBRS capability:  NO 
  * Indirect Branch Prediction Barrier (IBPB)
    * PRED_CMD MSR is available:  NO 
    * CPU indicates IBPB capability:  NO 
  * Single Thread Indirect Branch Predictors (STIBP)
    * SPEC_CTRL MSR is available:  NO 
    * CPU indicates STIBP capability:  NO 
  * Speculative Store Bypass Disable (SSBD)
    * CPU indicates SSBD capability:  NO 
  * L1 data cache invalidation
    * FLUSH_CMD MSR is available:  YES 
    * CPU indicates L1D flush capability:  YES  (L1D flush feature bit)
  * Enhanced IBRS (IBRS_ALL)
    * CPU indicates ARCH_CAPABILITIES MSR availability:  NO 
    * ARCH_CAPABILITIES MSR advertises IBRS_ALL capability:  NO 
  * CPU explicitly indicates not being vulnerable to Meltdown (RDCL_NO):  NO 
  * CPU explicitly indicates not being vulnerable to Variant 4 (SSB_NO):  NO 
  * CPU/Hypervisor indicates L1D flushing is not necessary on this system:  NO 
  * Hypervisor indicates host CPU might be vulnerable to RSB underflow (RSBA):  NO 
  * CPU supports Software Guard Extensions (SGX):  NO 
  * CPU microcode is known to cause stability problems:  NO  (model 0x25 family 0x6 stepping 0x2 ucode 0x616 cpuid 0x20652)
  * CPU microcode is the latest known available version:  YES  (latest version is 0x11 dated 2018/05/08 according to builtin MCExtractor DB v84 - 2018/09/27)
* CPU vulnerability to the speculative execution attack variants
  * Vulnerable to CVE-2017-5753 (Spectre Variant 1, bounds check bypass):  YES 
  * Vulnerable to CVE-2017-5715 (Spectre Variant 2, branch target injection):  YES 
  * Vulnerable to CVE-2017-5754 (Variant 3, Meltdown, rogue data cache load):  YES 
  * Vulnerable to CVE-2018-3640 (Variant 3a, rogue system register read):  YES 
  * Vulnerable to CVE-2018-3639 (Variant 4, speculative store bypass):  YES 
  * Vulnerable to CVE-2018-3615 (Foreshadow (SGX), L1 terminal fault):  NO 
  * Vulnerable to CVE-2018-3620 (Foreshadow-NG (OS), L1 terminal fault):  YES 
  * Vulnerable to CVE-2018-3646 (Foreshadow-NG (VMM), L1 terminal fault):  YES 

CVE-2017-5753 aka 'Spectre Variant 1, bounds check bypass'
* Mitigated according to the /sys interface:  YES  (Mitigation: __user pointer sanitization)
* Kernel has array_index_mask_nospec:  YES  (1 occurrence(s) found of x86 32 bits array_index_mask_nospec())
* Kernel has the Red Hat/Ubuntu patch:  NO 
* Kernel has mask_nospec64 (arm64):  NO 
> STATUS:  NOT VULNERABLE  (Mitigation: __user pointer sanitization)

CVE-2017-5715 aka 'Spectre Variant 2, branch target injection'
* Mitigated according to the /sys interface:  YES  (Mitigation: Full generic retpoline)
* Mitigation 1
  * Kernel is compiled with IBRS support:  YES 
    * IBRS enabled and active:  NO 
  * Kernel is compiled with IBPB support:  YES 
    * IBPB enabled and active:  NO 
* Mitigation 2
  * Kernel has branch predictor hardening (arm):  NO 
  * Kernel compiled with retpoline option:  YES 
    * Kernel compiled with a retpoline-aware compiler:  YES  (kernel reports full retpoline compilation)
> STATUS:  NOT VULNERABLE  (Full retpoline is mitigating the vulnerability)
IBPB is considered as a good addition to retpoline for Variant 2 mitigation, but your CPU microcode doesn't support it

CVE-2017-5754 aka 'Variant 3, Meltdown, rogue data cache load'
* Mitigated according to the /sys interface:  YES  (Mitigation: PTI)
* Kernel supports Page Table Isolation (PTI):  YES 
  * PTI enabled and active:  YES 
  * Reduced performance impact of PTI:  NO  (PCID/INVPCID not supported, performance impact of PTI will be significant)
* Running as a Xen PV DomU:  NO 
> STATUS:  NOT VULNERABLE  (Mitigation: PTI)

CVE-2018-3640 aka 'Variant 3a, rogue system register read'
* CPU microcode mitigates the vulnerability:  NO 
> STATUS:  VULNERABLE  (an up-to-date CPU microcode is needed to mitigate this vulnerability)

CVE-2018-3639 aka 'Variant 4, speculative store bypass'
* Mitigated according to the /sys interface:  NO  (Vulnerable)
* Kernel supports speculation store bypass:  YES  (found in /proc/self/status)
> STATUS:  VULNERABLE  (Your CPU doesn't support SSBD)

CVE-2018-3615 aka 'Foreshadow (SGX), L1 terminal fault'
* CPU microcode mitigates the vulnerability:  N/A 
> STATUS:  NOT VULNERABLE  (your CPU vendor reported your CPU model as not vulnerable)

CVE-2018-3620 aka 'Foreshadow-NG (OS), L1 terminal fault'
* Mitigated according to the /sys interface:  YES  (Mitigation: PTE Inversion)
* Kernel supports PTE inversion:  YES  (found in kernel image)
* PTE inversion enabled and active:  YES 
> STATUS:  NOT VULNERABLE  (Mitigation: PTE Inversion)

CVE-2018-3646 aka 'Foreshadow-NG (VMM), L1 terminal fault'
* Information from the /sys interface: 
* This system is a host running an hypervisor:  NO 
* Mitigation 1 (KVM)
  * EPT is disabled:  N/A  (the kvm_intel module is not loaded)
* Mitigation 2
  * L1D flush is supported by kernel:  YES  (found flush_l1d in /proc/cpuinfo)
  * L1D flush enabled:  UNKNOWN  (unrecognized mode)
  * Hardware-backed L1D flush supported:  YES  (performance impact of the mitigation will be greatly reduced)
  * Hyper-Threading (SMT) is enabled:  NO 
> STATUS:  NOT VULNERABLE  (this system is not running an hypervisor)

> SUMMARY: CVE-2017-5753:OK CVE-2017-5715:OK CVE-2017-5754:OK CVE-2018-3640:KO CVE-2018-3639:KO CVE-2018-3615:OK CVE-2018-3620:OK CVE-2018-3646:OK

Need more detailed information about mitigation options? Use --explain
A false sense of security is worse than no security at all, see --disclaimer
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX-17 "Heather Heyer" - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

User avatar
dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 10052
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:17 pm

Re: MX-17 to MX-18 update testing

#55 Post by dolphin_oracle » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:49 pm

Stevo wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:25 pm
Can anyone running the 4.19 32-bit kernel install spectre-meltdown-checker and see if it now supports the PTI Meltdown hardening, as was advertised?

Steve (too dang lazy to upgrade in a virtual machine and check for himself)

Code: Select all

demo@mx1:~
$ sudo spectre-meltdown-checker 

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

    #1) Respect the privacy of others.
    #2) Think before you type.
    #3) With great power comes great responsibility.

[sudo] password for demo: 
Spectre and Meltdown mitigation detection tool v0.40

Checking for vulnerabilities on current system
Kernel is Linux 4.19.0-1-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 4.19.5-1~mx17+1 (2018-11-28) i686
CPU is Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3320M CPU @ 2.60GHz

Hardware check
* Hardware support (CPU microcode) for mitigation techniques
  * Indirect Branch Restricted Speculation (IBRS)
    * SPEC_CTRL MSR is available:  NO 
    * CPU indicates IBRS capability:  NO 
  * Indirect Branch Prediction Barrier (IBPB)
    * PRED_CMD MSR is available:  NO 
    * CPU indicates IBPB capability:  NO 
  * Single Thread Indirect Branch Predictors (STIBP)
    * SPEC_CTRL MSR is available:  NO 
    * CPU indicates STIBP capability:  NO 
  * Speculative Store Bypass Disable (SSBD)
    * CPU indicates SSBD capability:  NO 
  * L1 data cache invalidation
    * FLUSH_CMD MSR is available:  YES 
    * CPU indicates L1D flush capability:  YES  (L1D flush feature bit)
  * Enhanced IBRS (IBRS_ALL)
    * CPU indicates ARCH_CAPABILITIES MSR availability:  NO 
    * ARCH_CAPABILITIES MSR advertises IBRS_ALL capability:  NO 
  * CPU explicitly indicates not being vulnerable to Meltdown (RDCL_NO):  NO 
  * CPU explicitly indicates not being vulnerable to Variant 4 (SSB_NO):  NO 
  * CPU/Hypervisor indicates L1D flushing is not necessary on this system:  NO 
  * Hypervisor indicates host CPU might be vulnerable to RSB underflow (RSBA):  NO 
  * CPU supports Software Guard Extensions (SGX):  NO 
  * CPU microcode is known to cause stability problems:  NO  (model 0x3a family 0x6 stepping 0x9 ucode 0x19 cpuid 0x306a9)
  * CPU microcode is the latest known available version:  NO  (latest version is 0x20 dated 2018/04/10 according to builtin MCExtractor DB v84 - 2018/09/27)
* CPU vulnerability to the speculative execution attack variants
  * Vulnerable to CVE-2017-5753 (Spectre Variant 1, bounds check bypass):  YES 
  * Vulnerable to CVE-2017-5715 (Spectre Variant 2, branch target injection):  YES 
  * Vulnerable to CVE-2017-5754 (Variant 3, Meltdown, rogue data cache load):  YES 
  * Vulnerable to CVE-2018-3640 (Variant 3a, rogue system register read):  YES 
  * Vulnerable to CVE-2018-3639 (Variant 4, speculative store bypass):  YES 
  * Vulnerable to CVE-2018-3615 (Foreshadow (SGX), L1 terminal fault):  NO 
  * Vulnerable to CVE-2018-3620 (Foreshadow-NG (OS), L1 terminal fault):  YES 
  * Vulnerable to CVE-2018-3646 (Foreshadow-NG (VMM), L1 terminal fault):  YES 

CVE-2017-5753 aka 'Spectre Variant 1, bounds check bypass'
* Mitigated according to the /sys interface:  YES  (Mitigation: __user pointer sanitization)
* Kernel has array_index_mask_nospec:  YES  (1 occurrence(s) found of x86 32 bits array_index_mask_nospec())
* Kernel has the Red Hat/Ubuntu patch:  NO 
* Kernel has mask_nospec64 (arm64):  NO 
> STATUS:  NOT VULNERABLE  (Mitigation: __user pointer sanitization)

CVE-2017-5715 aka 'Spectre Variant 2, branch target injection'
* Mitigated according to the /sys interface:  YES  (Mitigation: Full generic retpoline)
* Mitigation 1
  * Kernel is compiled with IBRS support:  YES 
    * IBRS enabled and active:  NO 
  * Kernel is compiled with IBPB support:  YES 
    * IBPB enabled and active:  NO 
* Mitigation 2
  * Kernel has branch predictor hardening (arm):  NO 
  * Kernel compiled with retpoline option:  YES 
    * Kernel compiled with a retpoline-aware compiler:  YES  (kernel reports full retpoline compilation)
> STATUS:  NOT VULNERABLE  (Full retpoline is mitigating the vulnerability)
IBPB is considered as a good addition to retpoline for Variant 2 mitigation, but your CPU microcode doesn't support it

CVE-2017-5754 aka 'Variant 3, Meltdown, rogue data cache load'
* Mitigated according to the /sys interface:  YES  (Mitigation: PTI)
* Kernel supports Page Table Isolation (PTI):  YES 
  * PTI enabled and active:  YES 
  * Reduced performance impact of PTI:  YES  (CPU supports PCID, performance impact of PTI will be reduced)
* Running as a Xen PV DomU:  NO 
> STATUS:  NOT VULNERABLE  (Mitigation: PTI)

CVE-2018-3640 aka 'Variant 3a, rogue system register read'
* CPU microcode mitigates the vulnerability:  NO 
> STATUS:  VULNERABLE  (an up-to-date CPU microcode is needed to mitigate this vulnerability)

CVE-2018-3639 aka 'Variant 4, speculative store bypass'
* Mitigated according to the /sys interface:  NO  (Vulnerable)
* Kernel supports speculation store bypass:  YES  (found in /proc/self/status)
> STATUS:  VULNERABLE  (Your CPU doesn't support SSBD)

CVE-2018-3615 aka 'Foreshadow (SGX), L1 terminal fault'
* CPU microcode mitigates the vulnerability:  N/A 
> STATUS:  NOT VULNERABLE  (your CPU vendor reported your CPU model as not vulnerable)

CVE-2018-3620 aka 'Foreshadow-NG (OS), L1 terminal fault'
* Mitigated according to the /sys interface:  YES  (Mitigation: PTE Inversion)
* Kernel supports PTE inversion:  YES  (found in kernel image)
* PTE inversion enabled and active:  YES 
> STATUS:  NOT VULNERABLE  (Mitigation: PTE Inversion)

CVE-2018-3646 aka 'Foreshadow-NG (VMM), L1 terminal fault'
* Information from the /sys interface: 
* This system is a host running an hypervisor:  NO 
* Mitigation 1 (KVM)
  * EPT is disabled:  N/A  (the kvm_intel module is not loaded)
* Mitigation 2
  * L1D flush is supported by kernel:  YES  (found flush_l1d in /proc/cpuinfo)
  * L1D flush enabled:  UNKNOWN  (unrecognized mode)
  * Hardware-backed L1D flush supported:  YES  (performance impact of the mitigation will be greatly reduced)
  * Hyper-Threading (SMT) is enabled:  NO 
> STATUS:  NOT VULNERABLE  (this system is not running an hypervisor)

> SUMMARY: CVE-2017-5753:OK CVE-2017-5715:OK CVE-2017-5754:OK CVE-2018-3640:KO CVE-2018-3639:KO CVE-2018-3615:OK CVE-2018-3620:OK CVE-2018-3646:OK

Need more detailed information about mitigation options? Use --explain
A false sense of security is worse than no security at all, see --disclaimer
demo@mx1:~
$ 
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

User avatar
tek10
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:20 pm

Re: MX-17 to MX-18 update testing

#56 Post by tek10 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:27 pm

Code: Select all

$ inxi -S
System:    Host: fractal Kernel: 4.19.0-1-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 
           Distro: MX-18_x64 Continuum March 14  2018 
Updated 17.1 and installed the 4.19 kernel. Everything looks good so far.

User avatar
Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 17016
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:07 pm

Re: MX-17 to MX-18 update testing

#57 Post by Stevo » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:48 pm

Thanks! So the 32-bit 4.19 kernel now does have the PTI Meltdown mitigations working. That's another improvement bullet point on the release notes.

User avatar
tascoast
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1088
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:58 am

Re: MX-17 to MX-18 update testing

#58 Post by tascoast » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:52 pm

I seemed to have no problems updating after adding /etc/apt/sources.list.d/devrepo.list, using root Thunar, as described in OP.

This additional source does not appear in Synaptic and reading through posts regarding disabling, noting other updates may yet come through, I assume I would # (ie. comment out) the
deb http://mxrepo.com/mx/testrepo/ mx18 dev
line, or just delete the file itself at some stage?


System: Host: mx1 Kernel: 4.14.0-3-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3
Distro: MX-18_x64 Continuum December 15 2017
Machine: Type: Desktop System: LENOVO product: 7522RU3 v: ThinkCentre A58

No news is good news unless something unusual crops up in operation.
Kind thanks
Mick
Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX17/MX-16/antiX17/Mint 19

marlowe221
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:56 pm

Re: MX-17 to MX-18 update testing

#59 Post by marlowe221 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:06 am

Just updated to MX 18 and 4.19.0-1 64 bit. Everything seems to be working well so far. The update process was smooth and seamless.

Edit - My hardware is a Lenovo Thinkpad T450, in case that information is useful.

User avatar
Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 17016
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:07 pm

Re: MX-17 to MX-18 update testing

#60 Post by Stevo » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:59 pm

We have a patched MyPaint in the dev repo that is now also compatible with GIMP 2.10.X, unlike the situation in upstream Debian, though I did get the patch to fix it from a Debian bug report. If anyone else wants to test and confirm that, we'd appreciate that!

Post Reply

Return to “General”