-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Compiz and missing Window Decorations

emjaycee
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: Compiz and missing Window Decorations

#11 Post by emjaycee » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:06 pm

Sigh... there is something that I am clearly missing here. When I click on the Fusion icon and select the Emerald Theme Manager and then click on one of the packages (Human Ubuntulooks is as good as any)... well, nothing happens. It doesn't seem to matter whether I choose the Compiz Window Manager or not... nothing happens... other than I do lose my window decorations if I choose Compiz lol. Even if I select import, nothing happens. Something is broken lol... although it's probably me!

And yeah, I was trying to follow Dolphin's video on the Wiki. Okay, this is MX-17 not MX-16 and Compiz is now a standard package and you don't have a full app section these days... but I did try to follow the video as closely as I knew how.

I did note that when I logged in this morning that I had to get the Fusion icon back in the panel by clicking it in the menu, but as I hadn't changed to Compiz or made it standard as yet, I assume that is why. Kind of not prepared to make it 'standard' till I get it to work lol.

Michael

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#12 Post by asqwerth » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:53 pm

... doesn't seem to matter whether I choose the Compiz Window Manager or not... nothing happens... other than I do lose my window decorations if I choose Compiz lol. Even if I select import, nothing happens.
And before all these steps, did you open compiz settings manager (which can also be done from fusion icon right click menu ) , scroll down through the many settings, and tick the "window decorations" checkbox to enable it?

Just checking.

emjaycee
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#13 Post by emjaycee » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:07 pm

Didn't need to :) Window Decorations and the emerald --replace command were installed from the get-go.

Cheers
Michael

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#14 Post by asqwerth » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:28 pm

To be frank I have never done it by terminal, ever.

Never needed to.

It was always install the packages, open compiz settings manager, tick window decorations, AND THEN ACTIVATE COMPIZ as window manager.

Yes, I tweaked all my compiz settings while still in xfce window manager mode.

So you're sure if you open compiz settings manager , the setting is ticked ?
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

emjaycee
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#15 Post by emjaycee » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:35 pm

If I knew how to, or was allowed to lol, I'd attach the screenshot that shows it 'ticked' lol.

Michael

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#16 Post by asqwerth » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:56 pm

You could search whisker menu for screenshot, open that, and choose to take a shot of active window. Set a 3sec delay so you can select the compiz manager as active window.

Then post the pic on imgur.com and post the link to the picture here.

Are there also ini and config files in

~/.config/compiz/compizconfig

?
If so, you can also post the contents of these here.

The ini file is more relevant:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co ... figuration

Unfortunately I'm going out to the gym soon and this is reaching the edge of my own knowledge, so I'm hoping others take over helping you.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

emjaycee
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#17 Post by emjaycee » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:29 am

Hey... everyone has been great :) It would seem that Compiz is rather a unique product lol.

My reasons for trying it aren't really all that important when it comes down to it. I seem to be getting quite a bit of rippling/rolling ( a minor form of screen tearing perhaps?) in my web browsers which is tiresome more than a huge issue. I thought not having a GPU this time round would significantly improve that... but so far I've been proven wrong lol. That said, the Pale Moon browser has actually been quite good in that respect. Firefox has always been the worst in that regard, Pale Moon being a derivative, yet working the best is actually a bit surprising... but hey, beggars can't be choosers :)

My preferred browsers are usually Opera and Vivaldi, but the Debian based multimedia codecs are somewhat limited in that they won't play all video clips formats for me. I'm a huge Aussie Rules fan and Opera/Vivaldi won't play clips on the AFL site and that IS important to me lol.

Apart from that, I do like some of the Compiz effects like wobbly windows etc, but I guess I could/should try a KDE desktop distro as an option for that huh lol.

I guess what I'm saying is that if nobody can help me get Compiz working, it's not the end of the world. Like I said, people have been greatly supportive... and it's probably something simple I'm just not doing. It is what it is :)

Cheers
Michael

Return to “Software / Configuration”