-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

how to change the icon of an application (qpdfview)?

Laurentius
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

how to change the icon of an application (qpdfview)?

#1 Post by Laurentius » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:17 pm

Hello.
I would like to change the application icon of qpdfview as it is shown on Window Buttons and Alt+Tab Switcher. How can i do that (if possible).
I notice that some applications apply the icon theme set on Appearence. But qpdfview (and some others, like Palemoon) does not (I mean, they don't change when changing the Icon-theme, may be there is no image prepared for them on it) . While Palemoon "native" icon is ok, the pale qpdfview icon is quite meaningless on the panel.

Thank you.

tascoast
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: how to change the icon of an application (qpdfview)?

#2 Post by tascoast » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:34 pm

Just edit launcher from menu then click on the icon button (a couple of times if necessary) to bring up the dialogue to select another.

You could choose any suitable small image in the appropriate format, alternatives found in the default location, or icons sourced elsewhere and saved locally in another folder.

When selecting, there is a drop-down option that will display any image files, etc.

The only issue down the track might be if using something like a snapshot. You may need to reinstate the custom icon, depending where you have saved it. I keep any custom images in my user folder and just adjust manually in such cases, or new installs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tascoast on Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM, MX-16 RC1/MX14.04/MX-15.01/antiX16(64-bit)-Aspire One D255E 1.66GHz, 512KB cache, 1GB RAM-MX-15.01/W10

Laurentius
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#3 Post by Laurentius » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:42 pm

Thank you tascoast for your reply.
But i'm afraid that only changes the launcher icon, not the application icon "as it is shown on Window Buttons and Alt+Tab switcher" expo view.

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by dolphin_oracle » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:51 pm

With regards to the taskbar button , Unless qpdfview has an option in its preferences it set internally by the code and cannot be changed by the user
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

tascoast
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#5 Post by tascoast » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:57 pm

dolphin_oracle wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:51 pm
With regards to the taskbar button , Unless qpdfview has an option in its preferences it set internally by the code and cannot be changed by the user
Could one locate the icon and do a switch, substituting/editing it and retaining the file name?
Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM, MX-16 RC1/MX14.04/MX-15.01/antiX16(64-bit)-Aspire One D255E 1.66GHz, 512KB cache, 1GB RAM-MX-15.01/W10

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Post by dolphin_oracle » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:13 pm

tascoast wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:57 pm
dolphin_oracle wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:51 pm
Could one locate the icon and do a switch, substituting/editing it and retaining the file name?
I suppose. If any other app uses the icon, it will be changed for all those apps too.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Post by asqwerth » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:35 am

Check usr/share/pixmaps.

Some programs store their hardcoded fallback icons here. If it's there, you can replace the icon in question (use the same name).
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

dreamer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#8 Post by dreamer » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:23 pm

usr/share/pixmaps is a good location to check, but it isn't there.

I just discovered ANGRYsearch (in test repo). With that program you should be able to find anything on your root (/) partition.

If you search for qpdfview you should be able to locate the icon (if the icon is called qpdfview).

A better way may be to go to /usr/share/applications. You have to do this as root (use Thunar as root). In there you'll find qpdfview.desktop. Right-click on this file and choose properties. If you are root you can click on the icon in the properties window and choose another icon for the qpdfview.desktop file. Your best bet is to select an icon from the "Applications category" that is displayed. A random image may or may not work. This "should" change every qpdfview icon on your system. You may have to log out and log back in to let Whisker menu update. Linux (start)menus can be a little tricky so if every qpdfview icon change except the one in Whisker menu it's still progress.

Another possibility is to place your favorite qpdfview icon in the icon theme you are currently using. That's a little more work because icon themes often have app-icons in seven different sizes. The good thing about Linux is that there are always possibilities. :popcorn:

dreamer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#9 Post by dreamer » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:42 pm

I forgot. If you want to change the icon inside the program you need to find the icon associated with the executable. This is easy if the executable is in /opt, but in this case it isn't. .desktop files are just shortcuts with a few attributes. Once the program has launched the .desktop icon doesn't matter.

I'm not using MX right now, but I'll boot into it and find the icon now that I have ANGRYsearch set up.

dreamer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#10 Post by dreamer » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:46 pm

The qpdfview.desktop file (all the shortcuts) might use this icon: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/qpdfview.svg (which is 48x48 pixels according to Thunar).

(I wish the Thunar dialog in usr/share/applications pointed to a specific icon instead of generic categories).

The qpdfview executable might use one of these:
usr/share/qpdfview/qpdfview.xpm (32x32 pixels)

/var/lib/app-info/icons/debian-stretch-main/
There are two folders, one for 64 pixel icons and one for 128 pixel icons. The qpdfview icon is available in both. First folder contains almost 1600 pngs and second folder almost 1400 pngs.

It seems there is an icon for every user-facing application in Debian in those folders... :exclamation:

Return to “Software / Configuration”