-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Terminal Emulator Choices

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Terminal Emulator Choices

#11 Post by skidoo » Fri May 04, 2018 4:01 pm

Termite. It doesn't seem possible to select any of the text output within for copying.
Hmm, same as with most other terminal emulators, even without pressing Ctrl+Shift+V,
drag-selecting some text should cause that text range to become the "primary selection".

I would expect either of the following to accomplish pasting:

1) drag-select a range of text in termite
2) focus another application window and press Ctrl+V (or right click and use the applications's context menu Paste action)
or

2) press Ctrl+Shift+V
3) focus another application window and press Ctrl+V (or right click and use the applications's context menu Paste action)

Finding either of the above to be unsuccessful, I would purge/reinstall termite and/or check whether a global (xfwm) keybind is trapping Ctrl+Shift+V

abbreviatedman
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#12 Post by abbreviatedman » Sat May 05, 2018 9:00 am

asqwerth wrote:
abbreviatedman wrote:
dolphin_oracle wrote:If terminology isn't in the test repo, it will be shortly.
I didn't check the test repo. Haven't played around with changing sources yet, but I might just now. Thanks for the prod!
You don't have to change sources manually or via Synaptic.

OPen MX Package Installer ==> Full App Catalog tab, and choose MX Test Repo from there. MXPI will automatically disable Test Repo after you've installed whatever you want from there.
Thanks for the help on the MXPI! I didn't realize it was made with such safety and stability in mind. I love it!

I now have Terminology, but, as a true fiddler, I've decided I prefer Terminator anyway. : )
ThinkPad x220
16 GBs of RAM
120-GB SSD
Greatest Of All ThinkPads

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#13 Post by asqwerth » Sat May 05, 2018 9:34 am

skidoo wrote:
Termite. It doesn't seem possible to select any of the text output within for copying.
Hmm, same as with most other terminal emulators, even without pressing Ctrl+Shift+V,
drag-selecting some text should cause that text range to become the "primary selection".

I would expect either of the following to accomplish pasting:

2) focus another application window and press Ctrl+V (or right click and use the applications's context menu Paste action)
or

2) press Ctrl+Shift+V
3) focus another application window and press Ctrl+V (or right click and use the applications's context menu Paste action)

Finding either of the above to be unsuccessful, I would purge/reinstall termite and/or check whether a global (xfwm) keybind is trapping Ctrl+Shift+V
I meant, selecting text output using the mouse.

Most other terminal emulators will allow you to select its displayed text output with your mouse, and then copy same with a right click. With Termite - granted I've only ever tried it in 2 Arch-based distros using Virtualbox (Archlabs and Archmerge) - I couldn't select or do anything with the mouse cursor inside the terminal window. IIRC, termite came as default with these 2 distros, as it's an unfamiliar terminal emulator to me and not something I would install on my own. In the same VMs of these 2 distros, both lxterminal and xfce4-terminal allowed me to select and copy text output.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Return to “Desktop Environment”