-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

What advice would you give to new people just starting to use Linux?

m_pav
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: What advice would you give to new people just starting to use Linux?

#21 Post by m_pav » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:25 am

Most people don't have a clue what the real definition of an OS is, so I start with questions like what do you use your computer for and let them answer taking note of what they say, then I follow up with what else do you do other than the ones you just told me about. Often, I'll get one or two other responses, but seldom do I get everything. When they've exhausted all their top list items, I suggest others common to most users and include business accounting software without neglecting printers and scanning. If they have business software on which they depend, then Linux usually will not work for them, but if they don't, then the world's their oyster.

Next, I tailor my response towards their answers, but I try to include the all important question that removes the first barrier to someone fed up with Windows, "can you point and click?" I've never had a no and to that I respond with something link if you can point and click, then you can use a Linux Desktop OS. from a newbies viewpoint, the biggest hurdle may be getting used to the names of the programs because by and large, Windows programs do not work in Linux because they're simply not designed to, so a different program will help you accomplish the task you need to achieve.

Usually, at this point, a user will say what about my <name of program>, most commonly, Microsoft Office, iTunes, DVD Player, but typically based on their answers given earlier. This is where I show them the Linux equivalent, if there is one, but I make sure beyond all measure they understand the replacement programs do not try to be <name of program> even though they usually provide the same functionality. The walls really come down if/when they mention Firefox, VLC, Google Chrome and Open or Libre Office but they go up again when I broach the subject of protection and printing/scanning because all of a sudden, their printer CD will not work and their perception of protection is threatened.

This is my entry point on how to install software and how because Linux differs from Microsoft, most people don't need or use antivirus and printer installation is usually just a point and click affair and driver installation, if any is done in as little as a minute, all without the CD.

The remainder of what I explain thereon is highly dependent on their needs, but to be truthful, I actually try to talk them out of it because I don't want to be the support person for a needy user. When I detect they're truly willing to give Linux a try, I go deeper and introduce the concept of community and assistance through the forums and user Manual. If we get this far, I prepare them a USB drive and show them how drop dead easy it is to do so.

Another way I do it is by leading them a 7 year old first generation Intel i5 Toshiba laptop with 2GB RAM for a week with a fresh installation of MX on it. The only thing I show them is how to get onto their wireless and that's all. Every time without fail they contact me saying how impressed they are by its speed, often outperforming their own systems by a country mile and it often leads to my installing MX onto their 1 year old machine.
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Mine)Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSHD, MX17 64-bit
(Wifes) Asus M4A88TD-M, AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU, nVidia GF610, 6Gb, 500GB+320GB, MX17 + KDE
(Kids) Intel NUC, J1900, 4GB, 64GB SSD, MX17

KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#22 Post by KBD » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:14 pm

Another important issue would be to point them toward a user friendly Linux distribution and especially a friendly forum like this one. They are going to need support at some point and it definitely makes a difference. I would not recommend they go to a place where every question is met with RTFM. While the documentation is very important, being able to actually communicate with users makes a difference.

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#23 Post by uncle mark » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:42 pm

m_pav wrote: Usually, at this point, a user will say what about my <name of program>, most commonly, Microsoft Office, iTunes, DVD Player, but typically based on their answers given earlier.
iTunes, Quicken or Quickbooks, or Photoshop, if any are mentioned, I walk away.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#24 Post by KBD » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:20 pm

uncle mark wrote:
m_pav wrote: Usually, at this point, a user will say what about my <name of program>, most commonly, Microsoft Office, iTunes, DVD Player, but typically based on their answers given earlier.
iTunes, Quicken or Quickbooks, or Photoshop, if any are mentioned, I walk away.
Good point. There are some people who should never use Linux. I'm like you, if they insist on a long list of Windows only programs they cannot do without I don't reply and have no interest into talking to them about Linux. Some people are better off sticking with Windows or Apple.
But anyone determined to use Linux I am happy to help. When I was using XP years ago viruses bricked my computer for a second time and I was absolutely determined to use anything other than Windows.

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#25 Post by uncle mark » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:31 pm

But anyone determined to use Linux I am happy to help. When I was using XP years ago viruses bricked my computer for a second time and I was absolutely determined to use anything other than Windows.
The prime candidates for me were those who kept getting infected (XP, Vista, and W7 to a lesser extent) and those who hate what Windows has become (W8x and W10).

I used to make a decent chunk of folding money de-lousing infested Windows machines, but smart phones took away many of the home users and MSFT has made their OSs less vulnerable to the type of debilitating infections that would send people my way. That business has dried up nearly completely. It probably didn't help that I moved a lot of my best -- meaning repeat -- customers to Linux. I never hear from them again.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#26 Post by KBD » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:07 pm

uncle mark wrote: The prime candidates for me were those who kept getting infected (XP, Vista, and W7 to a lesser extent) and those who hate what Windows has become (W8x and W10).

I used to make a decent chunk of folding money de-lousing infested Windows machines, but smart phones took away many of the home users and MSFT has made their OSs less vulnerable to the type of debilitating infections that would send people my way. That business has dried up nearly completely. It probably didn't help that I moved a lot of my best -- meaning repeat -- customers to Linux. I never hear from them again.
My father in law had a Vista computer with more viruses than I had ever seen before. I wiped it and installed Linux and not another problem.
I got my wife a large screen smartphone and she uses it for 99% of all her computing. Most people are probably like that now. Schools and Colleges usually want something more powerful, same for office workers, but for nearly everyone else smartphones are the new 'laptop'.
I prefer a keyboard and something more powerful, also my eyes can't take looking at a tiny screen for long.

Artim
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#27 Post by Artim » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:04 am

I would have to strictly warn against buying some software at Wal-Mart or downloading it from some web site.

Only use the repositories to get software!

Debian repositories are the largest on planet Earth (and on my home planet, Bakoo, as well). MX has added some awesome cool stuff too. And if it isn't in either one, ask for it! But for goodnessakes don't go getting it from who-knows-where!
Greetings from the Bakoo!

rokytnji.1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#28 Post by rokytnji.1 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:20 am

Artim wrote:I would have to strictly warn against buying some software at Wal-Mart or downloading it from some web site.

Only use the repositories to get software!

Debian repositories are the largest on planet Earth (and on my home planet, Bakoo, as well). MX has added some awesome cool stuff too. And if it isn't in either one, ask for it! But for goodnessakes don't go getting it from who-knows-where!
Yeah. What he said. :hug: Unless you got no choice because you are hardware limited and gotta cheat a little. Like using PLOP or Smart bootmanager to get started.
Like people in third world conditions with ancient low spec hardware. :bawling:

Enough of that. :alien: I looked at my sojourn into computers and into strolling into using Linux on them like this.

I just moved into new place and I don't know of any rooms or what are in them. I don't how to turn the doorknobs or what requires keys or is just turn and open.
Everybody, my neighbors in the neighborhood, does not speak my native tongue. They speak a different language. Like Bakoo or something.
Some of these neighbors sound like robots when I ask em a question. No emotion. No empathy. They expect me to understand Bakoo when I ask for directions to move about the neighborhood and my house. Because they assume I know the steps they left out in their answer to my question. Forums can suck like that sometimes. If I go duh? Then emotion kicks in and they get upset. Then I get upset. A viscous circle of verklept has now been started.

They assume I know a lot. But I am just clueless human being trying something I have no clue on using.
Because I am not into computers or work or went to school to get a job in IT.

The was me years ago.

So being a recluse type of dude. Because I get am a big biker who gets upset with folks when they get upset with me. :happy:
I downloaded a bunch ofthese

No pretty wallpapers for me for about the 1st year. Then on to help site bookmarks. Named a folder Linux and went to town on it. No you got to remember. I am new to Linux and am not a MX moderator yet. So some of bookmarks are not MX/debian related. But they help me grok stuff also.

https://www.howtoforge.com/
https://www.cyberciti.biz/
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=home
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/
https://blog.linuxmint.com/
http://www.tldp.org/
https://www.linux.com/
http://linuxcommand.org/

When I found some site I liked. I would bookmark it like a lightning flash. Because I am a slow study and learner and require much time to grok things.
After finding out wikki did not mean it was a yurt.

I started using those also and exploring help files provided by any distro I was trying out. I learned how to search on the internet better also by including site url in my search box in google.

https://support.google.com/customsearch ... 3886?hl=en

Example

See? Like a hunter. I use one word wizard spells < gotta include site: refrain lick though. there are rules to magic also > and locate my prey with one click.
Don't take my post to heart. This is typed out as a user. Not a moderator.
Just having fun with this thread before I drive off this morning. I gotta get some motorcycle parts sand blasted. :rock:

I'll leave you guys this morning before my 200 mile round trip with this. No credit goes to me. The link name of the blog in the url is a hip dude too cool for skool image
Why we Use Linux

arjaybe
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#29 Post by arjaybe » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:36 pm

If you just want to see what the fuss is about, run a bunch of distros live or in Virtualbox. If you're serious about using Linux, think about the reasons why you're serious, then do it. Be prepared to start over a few times until you understand what you're doing. Learn what tools are available and use them. If you want us to help, just ask. If you want us to hold your hand while you moan about how everything is so hard and it used to be so easy before you tried Linux, please stay away. The world doesn't need any more people who want to use Linux because they think it's free Windows.
Intel Celeron 1007U with integrated HD Graphics 2500, 4GB RAM

A thug state led by an overweening twat.

Green Comet

Return to “General”