-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

What advice would you give to new people just starting to use Linux?

GuiGuy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: What advice would you give to new people just starting to use Linux?

#11 Post by GuiGuy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:37 pm

KBD wrote:......
.. Don't be afraid of the terminal...
I can't quite agree with that because IMHO beginners should avoid the root terminal
unless they don't fear having to reinstall their system.

My advice:-
Don't use the terminal as root (or use sudo in the terminal) until you have some *nix
experience - even experienced users need to take care as root in the terminal.

azrielle
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#12 Post by azrielle » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:54 pm

To borrow a legal term, you assume facts not in evidence.
Most new users haven't a clue about bash commands, much less the ones likely to get them in trouble. Other than apt-get *.
Lenovo T430 i5/3320m 8GB 14.1" MX17.1/Win7SP1 180GB SSD/128GB mSATA
Lenovo X230 i7/3520m 12GB 12.5" MX17.1/AntiX 17.1 Fluxbox/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Lenovo X131e i3/3227u 8GB 11.6" MX17.1/AntiX 17.1 Fluxbox/Win7SP1 500GB SSD

NGIB
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#13 Post by NGIB » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:00 pm

My advice is use the programs you need just as you do under Windows. Many of them are the same or nearly so and let's be honest, most folks turn on their computer to do something other than play with the OS. Surf the web, listen to music, watch videos, read a book, build a spreadsheet, create a written document, etc. The OS is just there to allow you to use what a computer offers...
Last edited by NGIB on Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

richb
Administrator

#14 Post by richb » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:01 pm

azrielle wrote:To borrow a legal term, you assume facts not in evidence.
Most new users haven't a clue about bash commands, much less the ones likely to get them in trouble. Other than apt-get *.
Except they do a Google search and blindly follow some advice, bring up a root terminal and make a mess.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#15 Post by KBD » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:40 pm

asqwerth wrote:Think of the software or package manager like the app stores on smart phones, and install your programs from there. Don't go trawling the internet downloading executable files from different locations like Windows.
Well said. Coming from Windows I expected to have to look up programs to download like Windows. It took awhile to get used to using Synaptic, but once that was figured out things got much easier.

KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#16 Post by KBD » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:43 pm

GuiGuy wrote:
KBD wrote:......
.. Don't be afraid of the terminal...
I can't quite agree with that because IMHO beginners should avoid the root terminal
unless they don't fear having to reinstall their system.

My advice:-
Don't use the terminal as root (or use sudo in the terminal) until you have some *nix
experience - even experienced users need to take care as root in the terminal.
It's a good point, but 99% of the time when they come onto a forum like this we will need them to run some terminal commands just to get basic info about their system.
I look at the terminal as a way to look into their computer and find out what's making it ill :) Plus it will make other things easier for them if they don't fear the terminal. Yes, it can wreck their machine if they do something foolish, but that is also a way to learn, if the hard way.

sunrat
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#17 Post by sunrat » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:04 pm

Keep notes. Whenever you do something you may wish to do again sometime note it down. For configurations, commands, installing drivers or firmware, anything. I use Zim Desktop Wiki for this, and keep a backup copy of the notes directory just in case.
And make backups! I do system backups but systems can be reinstalled. If you lose your personal data, it may be gone forever. Backup your personal data! This applies to any OS or device.

Artim
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#18 Post by Artim » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:26 pm

Keep notes
That's a good one! I started a "Linux diary" in which I wrote down what I hoped to accomplish, what I did to make it happen, whether or not it worked, how I fixed it - even if I just gave up and reinstalled.
Greetings from the Bakoo!

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#19 Post by asqwerth » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:15 am

Artim wrote:
Keep notes
That's a good one! I started a "Linux diary" in which I wrote down what I hoped to accomplish, what I did to make it happen, whether or not it worked, how I fixed it - even if I just gave up and reinstalled.
I use Geany as my text editor because by default it remembers all opened tabs upon exiting. So when I next open Geany, I have that text file (actually I have a few) where I keep all my useful notes and terminal commands opened automatically.

Examples:
1. the full syntax for the dd command, together with the target USB device name (/dev/sdd) on my machine, and also the lsblk command, just so I never forget and type /dev/sdc by accident, which would wipe my DATA PARTITION. :eek:
[even though MX's live usb tool now has an easy way to use the dd command, I multiboot so this command is helpful while I'm booted into another distro]

2. my older Brother scanner driver has an issue where the files are installed in an folder location that is no longer accessed by scanner programs. So I have all the terminal commands ready to create the necessary symlinks to the appropriate folder location whenever I install the scanner driver in a distro.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

LnoyBoy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#20 Post by LnoyBoy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:13 am

Practice with live cds/dvds first.

Return to “General”