-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MX-17 won't boot up anymore. [solved]

Help for Current Versions of MX
GuiGuy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: MX-17 won't boot up anymore.

#41 Post by GuiGuy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:28 pm

In #18 above (reporting on his fstab)
Mauser wrote:sda1 is missing. sda3 which is an external backup drive and sda2 swap is there.
so it looks though his drive is messed up.
IMO he needs to get a live USB and use it to debug his system.

P.S. How can sda3 be an external drive? Typo for sdb(c)3?

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#42 Post by dolphin_oracle » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:44 pm

GuiGuy wrote:In #18 above (reporting on his fstab)
Mauser wrote:sda1 is missing. sda3 which is an external backup drive and sda2 swap is there.

good catch GG I missed that.

still, whatever is on sda1 doesn't *have* to be present in the fstab, although we should see a root / partition definition and a swap partition I think.

now that Mauser at least has a basic root Xfce session, perhaps creating a new user will allow him to post some info more easily.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

GuiGuy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#43 Post by GuiGuy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:01 pm

dolphin_oracle wrote:........
now that Mauser at least has a basic root Xfce session, perhaps creating a new user will allow him to post some info more easily.
I wonder whether he will be able to create a new user by CLI : could you post how to do it?
(He has no panel and right-click commands are not working).

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#44 Post by dolphin_oracle » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:14 pm

GuiGuy wrote:
dolphin_oracle wrote:........
I wonder whether he will be able to create a new user by CLI : could you post how to do it?
(He has no panel and right-click commands are not working).
I believe the command is useradd , which should pull the default configuration from /etc/skel.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

GuiGuy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#45 Post by GuiGuy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:25 pm

useradd -m USERNAME
works for me: you then have to do
passwd USERNAME
But I don't know whether it will work on Mauser's broken system :crossfingers: .

Mauser
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#46 Post by Mauser » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:41 pm

dolphin_oracle wrote:the place where you log in as root can also be used to log in as user. assuming your user account is working.
No, because it won't let me into my user account. I reformatted the hdd and re-install MX17 and this time I didn't encrypt it. I have seen this encryption issue on another Linux distro to other people which I can't say which one and how that went because it would violate forum rules. On a positive note, the MX community handled this encryption issue in a nice professional manner. Thank you all for your efforts.

Mauser
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#47 Post by Mauser » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:44 pm

Stevo wrote:
Of course, there is the mystery as to why this happened in the first place.
There was the mention of the recent change of swappiness from 60 to 10. Maybe this had some unforeseen interaction with encryption when the swap somehow was used this last time. The other possibilities may be a flaky hard drive or some sort of power fluctuation that caused a disk error, even just a fluke cosmic ray that flipped a critical bit.
It booted fine about a half a dozen times after that swappiness change. I guess we have to see if it happens to anyone else.

Mauser
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#48 Post by Mauser » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:46 pm

GuiGuy wrote:In #18 above (reporting on his fstab)

That's a typo from my Stupidphone. ;) There is nothing like a real key board.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#49 Post by Stevo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:07 pm

Mauser wrote:
dolphin_oracle wrote:the place where you log in as root can also be used to log in as user. assuming your user account is working.
No, because it won't let me into my user account. I reformatted the hdd and re-install MX17 and this time I didn't encrypt it. I have seen this encryption issue on another Linux distro to other people which I can't say which one and how that went because it would violate forum rules. On a positive note, the MX community handled this encryption issue in a nice professional manner. Thank you all for your efforts.
You can certainly tell the tale of how it went on any other distro as long as you don't go nuts and start cursing...

There's plenty of situations that seemed to work fine until conditions were right for them to fail. A classic example is the Challenger space shuttle disaster, though plenty of people were aware of the O-ring problem beforehand.

Mauser
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#50 Post by Mauser » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:11 pm

Stevo wrote:
Mauser wrote:
You can certainly tell the tale of how it went on any other distro as long as you don't go nuts and start cursing...

There's plenty of situations that seemed to work fine until conditions were right for them to fail. A classic example is the Challenger space shuttle disaster, though plenty of people were aware of the O-ring problem beforehand.
I can't tell the tale because I was warned before about it by one of the moderators.

Return to “MX Help”