-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Has anyone used KDE Connect?

News about updates on package status for CR packages compiled for MEPIS 12.0
richb
Administrator

Re: Has anyone used KDE Connect?

#11 Post by richb » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:45 am

Had an opportunity to use the latest KDE Connect on a KDE system and it is greatly improved. It has a lot of functionality and an easy way to transfer files between mobile devices and a desktop/laptop on the same LAN. I concur that it would be a good addition to MX-15.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#12 Post by eemaestro » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:25 pm

This is the first that I heard of KDE Connect. I have not yet tried it. I read the info. at https://community.kde.org/KDEConnect. I gather it uses the portable electronic device (PED)'s wireless carrier as the medium for relaying messages. In other words, you can use it on your PED to talk to a wired internet-connected personal computer when you're away from home, or at home when you don't have a wireless router, so long as you're in an area with working wireless service from your mobile phone carrier. Am I wrong?

richb
Administrator

#13 Post by richb » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:36 pm

Both devices need to be on the same secured network. So no, you cannot connect when the mobile is away from that network.
Forum Rules

Rich
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

nathan2423
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Has anyone used KDE Connect? - Voice Recognition thru Android

#14 Post by nathan2423 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:20 pm

This weekend I was listening to a linux podcast which indicated that the best way to do voice-recognition (such as dictating long documents) on linux is to use an android phone using Swype, which has been purchased by Nuance and now integrates Dragon Naturally speaking for 99 cents. The discussion (Linux Action Show, if I recall) indicated that the best way to interface the phone with a linux desktop is to use KDEconnect. I decided to post in this old thread to see if anyone was successfully using this. I see in this recent blog post http://www.webupd8.org/2017/01/integrat ... -with.html that indicator-kdeconnect ought to work in XFCE, and I see this person saying that he was using this on Debian Jesse - https://github.com/vikoadi/indicator-kd ... /issues/47

Does anyone currently use kdeconnect and if so could they tell me how to make this work? I currently run dolphin in my XFCE desktop so I am not concerned about downloading the dependencies, but I don't see indicator-kdeconnect anywhere that I can test.

Thanks!

Edit: I have now tested Swype+Naturally Speaking, and it does seem to work very well. Probably this IS the best way to get voice recognition dictation ability on linux. I suppose I can just dictate into SimpleNote and let that transfer directly to my desktop via that method, rather than use KDEConnect, but I suppose the original question still stands.

richb
Administrator

#15 Post by richb » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:28 pm

I have tried several time to get KDE Connect to work with the modified KDE MX 16 and MX 16.1 without success.
Forum Rules

Rich

nathan2423
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#16 Post by nathan2423 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:10 pm

Thanks for responding Richb. I suppose in the end at least for purposes of my intended use (moving voice dictation from phone to desktop) it won't make much difference, because the method I indicated of using Simplenote to transfer the file seems to work well. Also, I have used myphonexplorer under wine and that works well too, as does simply using a file manager when connecting via Mtp, so maybe KDEConnect doesn't really add anything. Thanks again.

richb
Administrator

#17 Post by richb » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:35 pm

For transferring files there are many other options as you indicated. KDE Connect does give you desktop notifications of phone activity when on a network. That can come in handy. Some Android apps and browser extensions can also do that. For example Pushbullet for texts.
Forum Rules

Rich

Return to “Package Status - 12.0 Beta”