-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Curious about VLC 

You can ask for help with video cards, tv cards, dvb, monitors, webcams, digital cameras and software related to these devices, here. Tutorials about these devices can be posted here, too.
DBeckett
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Curious about VLC 

#1 Post by DBeckett » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:04 am

I've always had good luck with VLC—it will play just about anything I throw at it.

I recently bought a low-end DVR, so low in fact that you have to provide your own USB hard drive. It does work though, and I'm able to record HDTV pulled from the air by two homemade antennas in my attic. I don't watch that much television, but I like to watch at a time of my own choosing.

Out of curiosty, after making some recordings I plugged the USB drive into my PC to see what was on it, and to see if I could play it. The files have an MPG extension, and if I hover over them the popup says MPEG.

VLC however will not play them. It doesn't say anything at all, but it doesn't play them either.

Gnome MPlayer, to my surprise, does play them just fine.

Is there some magic that will allow VLC to play these files? The VLC version I'm using is 2.1.2-2+b1.
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-6100 hex-core, 3.3GHz, 8G, Radeon HD6570

Eadwine Rose
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Curious about VLC 

#2 Post by Eadwine Rose » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:27 am

I don't know if it is possible.. but if you start VLC through the konsole/terminal, and then start that file, is there any output?
MX-17.1_x64 Horizon 3-2018 * 4.15.0-1-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.12.3 * AMD Asus M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 * ASUS GF GT640-1GD5-L NVIDIA 384.130 * AMD Proc. Athl II X4 635, sAM3 * HDA ATI SB VT1708S An * 2x4Gb DDR3 1600 Kingst * 22" Samsung SyncM P2250 * HP Envy5030

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by Stevo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:46 am

They should be...I think they are in MPEG-TS (transport stream) format. Maybe a web search of that term and VLC?

DBeckett
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#4 Post by DBeckett » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:15 pm

Eadwine Rose...... I get nothing.

Stevo....... This stuff is way over my head. The only tidbit of info that I've found is that, according to Gnome MPlayer, which does play these files, the format is FFMPEG2.

JBoman
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#5 Post by JBoman » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:52 pm

get a similar result with same version of vlc and just .mpg but I get an error... see attached... :confused:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://patentabsurdity.com/
AMD 64x2 2.6GHz 4GB ram MX-17.1 KDE regular updates
"beware a frequent flirt with potential disaster"

DBeckett
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#6 Post by DBeckett » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:47 pm

Now that you mention it, I got an audio related error too running vlc from the command line, but it was about pulse audio, which isn't even installed here. I notice however that the vlc pulse audio plugin is installed.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Post by Stevo » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:10 am

It's just looking for pulse audio and not finding it on your system. No problem.

What is probably happening is that your recorder is not creating a technically perfect mpeg-ts file, and VLC won't play it, where Mplayer is more adaptable and forgiving. VLC will play sample mpeg-ts files off the internet...the research also says that VLC will play those problem files if you tell it to use the external libav decoder to play it (like mplayer does) instead of its internal one. I have to run now, I'll find out what command to pass to vlc to do that.

greywolf
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#8 Post by greywolf » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:46 pm

I'm not sure if this is totally relevant but here goes anyway?

I have done a lot of recording from Topfield PVRs and conversion to DVD. One unique thing about the Topfields is that they add a special header to the mpg file that they create. You can't do anything with them until you remove that header. The application used for that ( in the repos) is Project-X (a DVB demuxing tool). I know VLC would not play these until the header was removed. Perhaps your problem is similar?

I do know there can be some significant differences between mplayer/mencoder and ffmeg useage. Just as a personal preference, I have always found mplayer/mencoder apps like SMPlayer to be much more "flexible" than ffmpeg based apps like VLC; but that's just one persons experience.

greywolf.
It is about the Dragons - it was always about the Dragons!

DBeckett
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#9 Post by DBeckett » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:49 pm

I'll look into that, thanks.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#10 Post by Stevo » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:11 am

Try having VLC use the ffmpeg-type demuxer to play the problem files. Start VLC up from the terminal with the command

Code: Select all

vlc --demux ffmpeg
and then open a problem file to see if it plays.

If it plays, you can make a custom launcher or menu entry to use that command to start VLC.

Return to “Video-Related”