-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

HP LaserJet Professional P1102

Questions about printers and scanners, hardware-related and/or software-related can be asked here, as well as posting of tutorials.
Don_Zalmrol
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

HP LaserJet Professional P1102

#1 Post by Don_Zalmrol » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:17 am

Hello,

This is my first and not last post on this forum.

I have the following problem.

On my student job we use Mepis 8.0 and we are moving soon to a new location. So I want to update the system to Mepis 8.0.15 32BIT.

At home I'm running 2 computers in VMware Fusion with the setup working, everything is linked and so on.

Now we want to upgrade our printer to the HP LaserJet Pro P1102.
So I've connected the printer to the virtual Mepis machine and installed it with the instructions on the HP LIP site for Mepis.

The problem now is that when I run in the terminal as root: hp-setup.
The setup starts en scans for USB devices and does not find the P1102…

So I've tried using the printer manager and there it finds the P1102 connected to the system and for the driver I've used the ppd file from the HP tarball (tried both with CUPS en HPIJS).

The printer installs on the system and when prompted to print a test page. The printer won't accept the job…

When I read the description of the driver for the P1102 in the printer manager. It says I need a proprietary printer driver.

So now my question is:
- Where do I find this driver?
- Did I do everything alright?

What I've done:
- Downloaded everything(that was necessary) from the HPLIP site and followed the instructions correct to the letter.
- The P1102 is a brand new one! Prints on my MacBook Pro and Windows machines…

Thanks & cheers,

Don Zalmrol

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#2 Post by Adrian » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:08 am

Don't have the printer, but I did a quick search for it, it seems that at least a new version of hplip is supposed to support it http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Printing ... 4531.shtml

Which version do you use?

Also I've found this http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/ not sure if it's necessary since HPLIP should support it and it seems a little bit of a trouble to install it, but if you don't get it running with HPLIP see if this helps.

Don_Zalmrol
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#3 Post by Don_Zalmrol » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:20 am

I've used the 3.10.6 like the link describes, but from the HPLIP installation page.
And yes my printer was also in the supported list from the 3.10.6 package.

I will try your link to the foo2zjs package/ ghost script and let you know if it works or not.

Thank you

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by Stevo » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:52 am

There are updated hplips in the 8.0 community repository also...I know Debian installs new versions of the program without updating the PPDs, letting CUPS handle that instead.

It seems that installing Debian packages works better than doing it manually.
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true.

James Branch Cabell

Don_Zalmrol
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#5 Post by Don_Zalmrol » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:54 am

Well I justed tested the use of the foo2zjs and added the printer via CUPS and now I get this error:

"Unable to open device "hal:///org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_3f0_2a_000000000QN00ES0PR1a_if0_printer_noserial": Permission denied"
Adrian wrote:Don't have the printer, but I did a quick search for it, it seems that at least a new version of hplip is supposed to support it "http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Printing ... 4531.shtml"
Which version do you use?

Also I've found this "http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/" not sure if it's necessary since HPLIP should support it and it seems a little bit of a trouble to install it, but if you don't get it running with HPLIP see if this helps.

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Post by Adrian » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:11 pm

you can probably add your user name to the haldaemon group
(in /etc/group) you need to log out and then back in to activate the change. What user do you use in CUPS, you could try with root...

Don_Zalmrol
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#7 Post by Don_Zalmrol » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:25 pm

I will try adding my username to it.

In cups I've used the root user.

But I know now the problem that caused it.
My VM is getting a bit unstable from tinkering with it.

So I've created a fresh one, downloaded the foo2zjs and installed it.
Then on cups (connect via USB, not via HAL) it's working fine, without the HAL daemon interfering with it.

Thank you all for your help!

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Post by lucky9 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:58 pm

I'd have used the host system myself using VirtualBox though.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

meyh
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: HP LaserJet Professional P1102

#9 Post by meyh » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:54 am

The model number HP Laserjet P1102 does not seem to be correct.

Method 1:
You may refer to the below links and use the troubleshooters. Check if it lists and helps resolve any issues: Open the Printer troubleshooter:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/sear ... en&submit=

Method 2:
You may check if you have the latest drivers installed for the device. You may refer to the below link for getting the latest drivers and check.
HP Laserjet P1102 Driver

Good Luck.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: HP LaserJet Professional P1102

#10 Post by lucky9 » Thu May 05, 2016 9:36 am

Welcome to the forum anuraag pandey! :welcome:
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Return to “Print/Scan”