Request for WSL2 and Docker-compliant Version of MX Linux  [Solved]

needmorebrains

Request for WSL2 and Docker-compliant Version of MX Linux

#1 Post by needmorebrains »

Got a good load set of WSL2 and Docker containers on a 22H2 Windows 10 using the minimal kernel set from Debian and Ubuntu and their GUI parts that work in the terminal. This is all working under the virtualization api that windows team made for the system without disabling or turning off any windows security devices. (Enhanced Security). I have noticed that WSL2 on first start does take some time to load in Docker, but I am still setting up devices and accounts, so some hangs. (And loads of secure keys processing and validating....)

Is there a chance that we could see a .appx or .tar version of MX Linux on the WSL2 server? MAYBE I could load Virtualbox in a container, and run MX Linux there, but it seems like it would be a real resource hog like that! (Too much virtualization...).

FullScale4Me

Re: Request for WSL2 and Docker-compliant Version of MX Linux

#2 Post by FullScale4Me »

I'm not an expert on WSL, but here's a starting point for you or the Dev's - Creating a Custom Linux Distribution for WSL

Would be a nice plus to get MX in the Microsoft Store!
Michael O'Toole
MX Linux facebook group moderator
Dell OptiPlex 7050 i7-7700 32 Gb, MX Linux 23 Xfce & Win 11 Pro
HP Pavilion P2-1394 i3-2120T 8 Gb, MX Linux 23 Xfce & Win 10 Home

wdscharff

#3 Post by wdscharff »

FullScale4Me wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:51 am
Would be a nice plus to get MX in the Microsoft Store!
This is not an argument if this "plus" is not explained

Maybe I just don't know enough about the subject matter, but:
a. what is the benefit for MX Linux
b. What is the benefit for the developers of MX Linux?
c. What is the benefit for the users/community of MX Linux?
Desktop AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 32GB Ram // SSD ... enough
Laptop Acer Core I5-7300HQ, 8GB Ram / SSD intern 256GB&2TB
mx-fluxbox, what else?

In nature there are neither rewards nor punishments.
There are consequences.

my wallpaper gallery

needmorebrains

#4 Post by needmorebrains »

I am just trying to see if there are any others who would be interested. It is not a solution, for all the Windows Security Protocols, but neither is defeating all the UEFI and Windows Security to load a secondary OS (Like MX Linux). We are caught in a time between individual devices that can do things, to servers and containers that must be accessed to serve-up our UDOP (Universally Dumb Operating Platform) client "box" .... however you define that. Developers (I think) and a hobbyist (me) would find benefit from a system that can interoperate between our devices. At least between Windows and Linux. Not sure where Apple is going, but even Windows is discussing making their hardware such that only their OS will run. (WSL2 and their linux-approved OS terminals are still being developed for hardware support for gpu, usb, PRINTERS (ugh) and AUDIO (ugh)).

Windows WSL team is working this in two channels: WSL1 and WSL2. They are different. And as always, backup and make sure you have a restore point that is current.

needmorebrains

#5 Post by needmorebrains »

Quick Update;
Not sure when it became a container in Docker, but checking my default Win10 WSL2 Docker container showed a separate container called virtbox 7. I think it was added for those who want to try and run an OS in a VM behind WSL2. Not really good yet with Docker (still learning), but I can only guess that it will be really slow to start. I know my two current linux OS (Debian, Ubuntu) take about 20 seconds to load all the due and propers to run, and is from WSL2/Docker/OS from an off state. Will report back any findings good or bad. (If I can get it to run, anyone can!) :crossfingers:

needmorebrains

Re: Request for WSL2 and Docker-compliant Version of MX Linux  [Solved]

#6 Post by needmorebrains »

Recent updates to WSL2, Windows, Docker, Linux distros, etc. broke the WSL2 load. Nothing was showing the problem, but the "system" decided to fail, and was being remotely closed. I got rid of the software, and then started receiving updates from Windows that were being held back because of WSL2 (or something?) I don't think it is ready for prime time yet. So I withdraw my request in the topic. I will setup your OS when Windows 10 is out of date (soon) 9_9

needmorebrains

#7 Post by needmorebrains »

A quick update,
There is a way to add the Hyper-V to Windows 10 Home via the MakeUseOf website (I lost the link sorry), and it will allow you to load a server instance in Windows 10 (Maybe even 11?) with Hyper-V and the Manager. Then you can grab the iso for AHS support, and the hyper-v system will properly see the MX Linux as a Generation 2 system, and load the OS. It takes a while (About an hour and a half) and a few reboots, but it does *work (*work means bad graphics support, no audio, not sure on USB, printer, etc.) but you can at least control the OS. To be fair, this slows down both Windows and MX Linux behind Hyper-V, so it is not perfect, but at least you do not have to turn off any Windows Security or UEFI Secure Boot. I wish it were better......

XperiaGo

#8 Post by XperiaGo »

Hi @needmorebrains
I succeed in doing a tar of MX-Linux and make it work on WSL2 in Win11, I also just got RDP to work with XFCE and XORG. I put the steps here viewtopic.php?f=94&p=731506 in case you are still interested.
Cheers.

needmorebrains

#9 Post by needmorebrains »

Hi @XperiaGo
Just saw your message, been off the thread for awhile, and kinda gave up on docker as a go-between in Windows. It just is too much cloud based stuff, and Windows 11 just seems to be a very intense moving target.

I may try and use wsl2 in Windows 11 and try your solution before the fall season this year. If I run into any difficulties, I'll hit you up on the forum. Apologies for the delay in reply. When I first set this up I was on Windows 10/22H2 and I don't know if this newer hardware that is baked for Windows 11 will even allow WSL to run without a significant hit to the resources (And it is a pure Intel machine/HP). I suppose a more powerful and flexible computer would help, but that is not an affordable solution.

Return to “Software / Configuration”