First ever successful upgrade without fresh install

Here you can post about what you did to get MX to work right with your computer or if hardware worked right out of the box for you. This is for the computers and/or hardware that is normally hard to get working right in Linux or MX.
swarfendor437

First ever successful upgrade without fresh install

#1 Post by swarfendor437 »

Hi, This machine is used by my good lady. At the end of life of Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit I migrated initially to Feren OS but it became too clunky. The machine a home-built MSI Athlon-64 single core processor, maxed out at 2 Gb RAM and EVGA 8x AGP 256 Mb RAM from 2006 was migrated to MX-Linux 19 (patito feo). When it came to migrate to 21.1 (Wildflower) I did a belt and braces job of backing up the /home directories with hidden files and also a full system backup using rescuezilla. I needn't have worried though as the migration went very successfully. I have SoftMaker Office 2021 on this machine which has the nearest resemblance to MSOffice and my good lady still thinks it is that other Suite! I managed to get a very good deal for 5 machines just before lockdown so it has helped tremendously.
Thanks to the devs and the excellent migration guide everything has been running smoothly, but I have had some issues recently on other matters which I have posted in the help section. I really appreciate that MX Linux is one of the few distributions that are helping to prevent e-waste. Keep up the great work!

Return to “Success Stories”