Change some color in Greybird-mx theme

Help for Current Versions of MX
When asking for help, use Quick System Info from MX Tools. It will be properly formatted using the following steps.
1. Click on Quick System Info in MX Tools
2. Right click in your post and paste.
snl

Change some color in Greybird-mx theme

#1 Post by snl »

Hi,

where I can change specific color (a frame, which is now too dark #D9D9D9) in Greybird-mx theme?

I was searching in /usr/share/themes/Greybird-mx/, but I ve found nothing.
Screenshot.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Goodbye Windows :snail:

Erus

Re: Change some color in Greybird-mx theme

#2 Post by Erus »

Hi,

I have exactly the same question for the theme color change.
However, I am interested in changing "mx-comfort" 's font color for deactivated windows as the readability of deactivated windows is not great as shown below.
2022-01-12-102844.png
I was no able to find any ways to modify that yet.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

snl

#3 Post by snl »

It would be nice to have something like this in repository of MX:

https://www.linux-apps.com/p/1130273/
https://www.linuxadictos.com/en/oomox-a ... hemes.html
Goodbye Windows :snail:

Erus

#5 Post by Erus »

I guys,

I am happy to play with the CSS file, the problem is knowing which CSS entry is related to what. :-)

It's not like a website where you can inspect the source and go modify the CSS corresponding to the source.
Is there a guide/doc defining which CSS entry is related to which location of the theme?

Thanks

SwampRabbit

#6 Post by SwampRabbit »

snl wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:11 am It would be nice to have something like this in repository of MX:

https://www.linux-apps.com/p/1130273/
https://www.linuxadictos.com/en/oomox-a ... hemes.html
Oomox is in the repos for MX-19, it hasn't been brought over to MX-21 yet. These things take time.
NEW USERS START HERE FAQS, MX Manual, and How to Break Your System - Don't use Ubuntu PPAs! Always post your Quick System Info (QSI) when asking for help.

Erus

#7 Post by Erus »

Oomox is in Flatpaks.
However, my understanding is that Oomox can only modify the Numix, Materia, and Arc theme right?
But I am very happy with the "mx-comfort" theme, it's great.
I just would like to change the font CSS for the color of writings in inactive windows.
Is there no way to find which CSS is for what?
Thanks

asqwerth
Developer

#8 Post by asqwerth »

Erus wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:59 am Oomox is in Flatpaks.
However, my understanding is that Oomox can only modify the Numix, Materia, and Arc theme right?
Correct, you can't use oomox to edit or make greybird-based themes.

To the OP: I've opened up greybird to have a look at the css. IIRC, I think it's not in the normal place or in a few different places/subfolders in the theme file. It's very detailed, and I think one would have to test changes one by one. One possibility is to try to work out what is the html code of the colour you don't like, then search for all instances of it in the css. Then change those (one by one) that seem to have a fitting description and see what happens.

As for the themes that oomox can create/generate, in the more recent oomox (as tested in Arch-based distros - oomox is in AUR), it is no longer possible even to generate Arc themes although it's still listed in the application itself. Something to do with a sass-related package not being upgraded.

To be honest, I've not tried using oomox to make Arc themes in MX21/Debian Bullseye or with the latest Flatpak version, so maybe it's different in Debian. You'll know it doesn't work if you try generating Arc theme in oomox and your CPU usage goes up to 100% and the generation never completes. I still have an old oomox flatpak in MX17 that I've never updated. I believe that still can generate Arc themes, but whether that version of Arc theme is fully compatible with the current Bullseye version of gtk3+ is another issue. So far my older Arc-oomox themes still seem to work fine on my Arch-based distros. Another reason to preserve that MX17/18 even when it goes EOL in April!

[UPDATED] just tested a flatpak install of oomox on my newly installed MX21 XFCE - Arc themes can be generated. I guess in flakpak the dev can ensure the correct version of various dependencies are packaged together. Packages in AUR have to deal with the version of dependency packages that will work with the rest of the fast moving Arch repos. If the version compatible with the AUR package is outdated in comparison with the Arch repo packages, the AUR application may not work properly.

But I am very happy with the "mx-comfort" theme, it's great.
I just would like to change the font CSS for the color of writings in inactive windows.
Is there no way to find which CSS is for what?
Thanks
MX-comfort was generated first with oomox and then changes made manually to sort out some problems/bugs.

If you want to experiment with it (you can't just edit its css files without enabling something first), see here: viewtopic.php?p=671084#p671084

It was all trial and error in finding out how to tweak the generated theme.

You may wish to search the css file for the words "inactive" and "text", change the colour, and test its effect on the theme.

If you are referring to the text colour in the xfwm4 window decoration/border itself, it's a different file, not css.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Erus

#9 Post by Erus »

Thanks for your great answer!

I was able to modify the color of the title easily by changing:
/usr/share/themes/mx-comfort/xfwm4/themerc
"red" => inactive_text_shadow_color=#FF0000

But what I am really interested in is changing the color of what I believe is the menu of the window as this is nearly unreadable (please see screenshots)?

Some buttons in some applications are completely unuseable too. Please see example below with Gimp.

I tried to search for the color that I think is the one (found in origxfwm) in the folder and changed for "ffffff" but it didn't work. :-(
grep -r "c6c8c8" .

=>
./xfwm4/shade-toggled-inactive.xpm:"+ c #c6c8c8",
./xfwm4/maximize-toggled-inactive.xpm:"+ c #c6c8c8",

asqwerth
Developer

#10 Post by asqwerth »

This is a dark gtk theme, not mx-greybird (which is light) ? It also does not look like mx comfort dark. Colours are too black-Grey. Perhaps it's greybird dark?

Alternatively, if it's GIMP's file chooser that you are opening, maybe it's not the gtk theme that is at fault. You may need to check if GIMP has its own theming enabled that disregards the look of the theme you are using. Maybe it's set to light theme look, so has a dark text colour, which of course won't do well against a dark background ? I do not really use GIMP much so could be wrong.

Anyway, assuming the problem is indeed in the theme and not the program you are using, note that:

Those text colours must be changed from the appropriate css file of the CORRECT gtk theme, whatever it is. Not the xfwm4 file of any theme. Definitely not in mx comfort's origxfwm file. Xfwm4 border themes do not change internal elements in the window.

You may be applying mx comfort's xfwm theme but you are not using mx comfort or comfort dark gtk theme.

Ensure you are experimenting with the correct gtk (not xfwm) theme.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Return to “MX Help”