does MX have a problem re scaling of display?

Seeker

does MX have a problem re scaling of display?

#1 Post by Seeker »

I have read that Linux falls beneath Windows in ability to scale the display easily. So I am concerned whether in buying a refurbished Thinkpad (especially one with 12.5" display) I should avoid 1080p display.

MXRobo

Re: does MX have a problem re scaling of display?

#2 Post by MXRobo »

My opinion, I wouldn't necessarily avoid it, but 720s just seem to be a 'fit' for linux in its current state. I have both, the 1080s aren't bad, but it's not as of a natural 'fit' as my 720. You can adjust a lot of items, Window Managers, Appearance, Scaling (usually doesn't work for me), fonts, applications themselves, zoom, etc. - again not quite as good as 720 IMHO. 1080s aren't bad, but bad is relative and subjective. Will 1080 improve in linux? If you're considering several laptops, personally, I might go with the one with better specs - but I can NOT comment on the 12.5" display.

Cheers

SwampRabbit

#3 Post by SwampRabbit »

1080p is perfectly fine on Linux and especially on MX Linux, there should be no scaling issues with that system at all.
NEW USERS START HERE FAQS, MX Manual, and How to Break Your System - Don't use Ubuntu PPAs! Always post your Quick System Info (QSI) when asking for help.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#4 Post by chrispop99 »

Current KDE versions handle scaling really well, although not automatically.

Xfce versions have an MX Tool that uses two different scaling methods; they have worked well for me.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

Seeker

#5 Post by Seeker »

tnx all. I understand it is better to use the xrandr tool in mx tweaks. how to use it? i didn't notice a 19xx x 1080 selection in the dropdown menu of resolutions that is above the xrandr option. btw I find the display gives me great resolution both on the 1366 x 768 12.5 screen of my thinkpad x220 and on my not-too-old Dell 19" monitor. I am concerned about being able to use a hdpi (did I get that right?) monitor and a 1080p monitor on a 12.5" or 14" laptop screen.

Return to “Hardware /Configuration”