Ideas for a "Quick Start" document

AA BB

Re: Ideas for a "Quick Start" document

#81 Post by AA BB »

I recently switched from Windows 10 to MX-19. After I completed the install from LiveUSB I did nothing for a week except read the MX User manual. Which I found frustrating at times.

What's needed in my opinion :
1. Multiple living docs (in non-PDF format so they can be quickly updated/modified by doc authors and the updates stored in somewhere easily available to MX users)
2. multiple docs each of which is focused on one topic e.g.
one doc covering installing MX (aka 'Quick Start'), another covering desktop navigation, another covering basic MX apps, Networks, CLI basics, etc, etc
The current MX Uman is a gigantic task to update and keep current; multiple docs (each assigned to a different author) makes this task less daunting, allows for multiple people to modify/update independently of other authors and assures MX users they have the latest and best info authored by MX experts

BitJam
Developer

#82 Post by BitJam »

The following two statements are usually both true:
  • There's not enough documentation.
  • There's too much documentation.

--Larry Wall
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#83 Post by JayM »

"Why are there so many manuals and documents? I can't even figure which one I need, there are so many! Why don't you put all of that information in just one user manual that I can search for what I'm looking for?"

Now, on the other hand, maybe if they were all in HTML format and there was an main index with hyperlinks... but I don't know what the advantage of that would be over a pdf document.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Return to “General”