News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Screen Configuration in Virtualbox

psalrod
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Screen Configuration in Virtualbox

Post by psalrod » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:55 am

I've just installed MX 18.3-32 bit in virtualbox and I want to have MX occupying the entire screen, but I don't know how to do it.
The videos I found on youtube only shows how to fix it when they install windows 7 or 10. When I run Device/install optical CD... I get an error saying "Fail to insert virtual optical disc in MX machine".

I'm running virtualbox 6.0 in a windows 10 system.

How to solve it?

mgp
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: Screen Configuration in Virtualbox

Post by mgp » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:29 am

Did you install Virtualbox guest additions into the MX guest machine ? I use open-vm-tools-desktop which is available in the MX package installer. I use from the Debian Backports for the latest. Log into the VM open Mx package installer click the Debian backports tab then search open-vm-tools-desktop. You will find it in stable repo also but a slightly older version. Just install and you should be fine. You may need a reboot. Also if you want USB support for the VM you will need to install the Virtualbox extension pack. You can download that from Virtualbox downloads to your HOST os. The extension pack is installed from Virtualbox's manager. File > preferences > extensions > click the plus sign then navigate to the downloaded extension pack.

Stevo
Developer

Re: Screen Configuration in Virtualbox

Post by Stevo » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:49 pm

We ship MX with the virtualbox-guest modules built and installed, so the full screen, shared folders, etc. should just work out of the box, though I haven't tested an install with a Windows host...it does "just work" with a Linux host in my experience.

Does anyone else have the same issue with a Win host?

What does

Code: Select all

apt policy virtualbox-guest-*
report about them being installed in your guest?

Return to “Forum How-to's”