(SOLVED) Can't mount sd card in Antix 17.4.1

Moltke

(SOLVED) Can't mount sd card in Antix 17.4.1

#1 Post by Moltke »

Hi everyone! Hope you're all having a nice life! :)

I just tried Antix 17.4.1 both, base and full .iso and can't mount a sd card, it doesn't even show, while it works just fine in 17.2.
It's on hp 2000 notebook, Dual Core AMD E-300 APU with Radeon HD Graphics. The sd card is a Trascend 32gb.
Last edited by Moltke on Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Without each other's help there ain't no hope for us :happy:

manyroads

Re: Can't mount sd card in Antix 17.4.1

#2 Post by manyroads »

Moltke wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:16 pm Hi everyone! Hope you're all having a nice life! :)

I just tried Antix 17.4.1 both, base and full .iso and can't mount a sd card, it doesn't even show, while it works just fine in 17.2.
It's on hp 2000 notebook, Dual Core AMD E-300 APU with Radeon HD Graphics. The sd card is a Trascend 32gb.
Do you have a viable mount point for the card(s)? I have found with CDs etc that I needed to create a mount point like /media/sr0. But I only have experience with antiX19....
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

mxer

#3 Post by mxer »

Does it show up in your dmesg output, has it been assigned a drive designation(?).

(Perhaps it is mounted under /media)
(FOSS, Linux, & BSD since 1999)

Moltke

#4 Post by Moltke »

mxer wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:46 pm Does it show up in your dmesg output, has it been assigned a drive designation(?).

No, it doesn't. I checked /media and there was nothing there. Also, I tried the usb maker and the resulting usb live didn't boot properly. Maybe some bugs no one else has spotted? It happened in both, base and full .iso, I tried the demo, live session only. Not sure whether a full install, update & upgrade would do the trick but...that was my experience.

Moltke

#5 Post by Moltke »

Well, I can confirm that Antix sees the card reader.

Code: Select all

lspci -v
shows

08:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTS5229 PCI Express Card Reader (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company RTS5229 PCI Express Card Reader
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
        Memory at 90100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
However, it doesn't seem to be able to mount the sd card or even see it at all :(

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#6 Post by JayM »

Moltke wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:04 pm
mxer wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:46 pm Does it show up in your dmesg output, has it been assigned a drive designation(?).

No, it doesn't. I checked /media and there was nothing there. Also, I tried the usb maker and the resulting usb live didn't boot properly. Maybe some bugs no one else has spotted? It happened in both, base and full .iso, I tried the demo, live session only. Not sure whether a full install, update & upgrade would do the trick but...that was my experience.
Are you using Live USB Maker to burn the antiX iso to the SD card, or to a USB stick? If it's a USB stick then either the iso you downloaded is corrupt or the USB stick is either bad or incompatible with the antiX live system. If you're burning the iso to an SD card and trying to boot with it, someone else will have to step in and help as I don't even have a card reader on my system.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Moltke

#7 Post by Moltke »

JayM wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:55 pm
Moltke wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:04 pm

Are you using Live USB Maker to burn the antiX iso to the SD card, or to a USB stick? If it's a USB stick then either the iso you downloaded is corrupt or the USB stick is either bad or incompatible with the antiX live system. If you're burning the iso to an SD card and trying to boot with it, someone else will have to step in and help as I don't even have a card reader on my system.
No, I'm not trying to burn/write the Antix 17.4.1.iso into the sd card, that'd be easier. Antix 17.2 does see, recognize and automatically mount the sd card. It just happens with 17.4, I tried with the full.iso, base.iso and core.iso, none of them sees it let alone mount it. I haven't tried with Antix 19. The thing with the usb maker is just another one which didn't work either. Funny thing is 17.2 does not auto-mount my usb hdd while 17.4 does. The sub stick is just fine, the card reader and the sd card are too, the problem is inside, within Antix, some obvious missing package or packages are needed for it to find and mount the sd card.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#8 Post by JayM »

Also, I tried the usb maker and the resulting usb live didn't boot properly.
Did you check the iso file's md5 sum after downloading it? How didn't it boot properly? There may be more going on than just not mounting the SD card if you're also having a boot issue.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Moltke

#9 Post by Moltke »

JayM wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:49 am
Also, I tried the usb maker and the resulting usb live didn't boot properly.
Did you check the iso file's md5 sum after downloading it? How didn't it boot properly? There may be more going on than just not mounting the SD card if you're also having a boot issue.
Maybe I didn't explain myself good the first time. From Antix 17.2 I created a live usb containing Antix 17.4.1, which booted just fine, no problems at all. Once in the desktop, in the 17.4.1, I open spacefm and noticed that my sd card wasn't mounted, it didn't even show. After some inspection I found out that Antix 17.4.1 didn't see my sd card althought it did see the card reader. From that live usb, containing Antix 17.4.1, I tried the live usb maker and create one with antix 17.2, which didn't boot properly, so I guess something is missing there. Like I said, I tried with 3 different versions; full.iso, base.iso and core.iso. I only tried the usb maker with the full.iso, though.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#10 Post by JayM »

What does lsblk show?

If the SD card is there, try manually mounting it from the command line:

sudo mkdir /mnt/sdcard
sudo mount /dev/sdX /mnt/sdcard
where sdX is the drive designation of the SD card as shown in lsblk (i.e. /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc1)

Return to “antiX”