News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

ZyGrib please?

Ancient_Hermit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

ZyGrib please?

Post by Ancient_Hermit » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:01 am

Hi all

would we be able to get ZyGrib up to date please. We are showing 6 something and it's been 8 something for 2 years and some change.

There might be fixes for the very minor map rendering glitches.

Many thanks, I hope this is not a huge ask; I have simply no idea how hard this might be.

Living in hope.......
Cheers,
Ian

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

Re: ZyGrib please?

Post by Eadwine Rose » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:40 am

When I open Synaptic/MXPI in the regular stable repo the latest version is 8.0.1+dfsg.1-1?
MX-18.3_x64 May 26 2019 * 4.19.0-5-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.12.3 * 8-core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 390.116 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy5030

Ancient_Hermit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Ancient_Hermit » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:51 am

I'm seeing 6.2.3-1.

Boy oh boy, that's not good is it?

I guess it's going to turn out to be punishment due to me sticking with MX-15.
Cheers,
Ian

manyroads
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by manyroads » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:04 am

Time to update/ upgrade... ;)

Edit: you can also choose to install it directly. According to their site here are the instructions:

Compilation with Linux Debian/Mint/Ubuntu linux.gif
Install required tools:
apt-get install build-essential g++ make libbz2-dev zlib1g-dev libproj-dev libnova-dev nettle-dev libpng16-dev libjpeg-dev libjasper-dev qtbase5-dev qt5-default
Compile zyGrib:
Download file zyGrib-xxxxx.tgz on this page, and run these commands in a terminal:
tar xvzf zyGrib-xxxxx.tgz
cd zyGrib-xxxxx
make
make install
Command to run zyGrib from a terminal:
cd ~/zyGrib; ./zyGrib

You might find the successor of interest:
https://opengribs.org/en/xygrib

Edit-edit
I just downloaded and installed the tar file from OpenGribs.org. Once you expand the tar file, click on the new icon and follow the instructions.It takes about 1 minute... nothing technical involved.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
bspwm MX-18.3 kernel: 5.1.11-antix.1-amd64-smp
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Testing: Obarun, Guix, antiX19

Jerry3904
Administrator

Post by Jerry3904 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:49 am

Does MX-15 have the prerequisites?
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB
Personal: XPS 13, 4.18.0-19.3-liquorix, 4 GB

Ancient_Hermit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Ancient_Hermit » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:17 pm

OK all, and thanks, it seems it is as I feared.

This might take some time as I need to get things in the right order and do some saving for a new machine.

My present machine has a fairly good fit kernel wise, but it's had the odd issue. I suspect from a fair bit of reading there is not going to be a solution, as it's been a few years now.

Next machine will be styled possibly on the Ryzen build being done by Chris Barnatt at Explaining Computers on you tube. If all keeps looking good I'll maybe go close to that spec. I would prefer to use the onboard graphics on the Gigabyte mobo.

Does that look mainstream enough to make MX a simple OS to get running right, or are there alarm bells again like with my current machine?

I know Linux advocates like to have it that Linux will run on anything, and all that shows is a lack of their imagination about what anything might actually turn out to be.

So, does that look like a safe enough rough plan or not? I would then be able to go to 18-19 I think

Anyone?

If I do go there I would likely start a new thread for that. Others might find it helpful, so why not?
Cheers,
Ian

Ancient_Hermit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Ancient_Hermit » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:15 am

Jerry3904 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:49 am
Does MX-15 have the prerequisites?
No, it is just getting a bit long in the tooth.

It comes to us all you know! ;o)
Cheers,
Ian

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Post by JayM » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:12 am

Ancient_Hermit wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:17 pm
I know Linux advocates like to have it that Linux will run on anything, and all that shows is a lack of their imagination about what anything might actually turn out to be.
Truer words were never spoken. There are a lot of unique legacy computers and combinations of hardware out there, not to mention the brand-new bleeding-edge systems and components that Linux distros haven't caught up with yet. Also not to mention that the majority of distros have stopped making 32-bit versions. Plus it depends on one's definition of "run."
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

Ancient_Hermit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Ancient_Hermit » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:21 pm

Thanks for that JayM.

I find the situation a bit problematic; It is unknowable how old is too old and how new is too new. Then there is the question of how far from the norm is too far.

In designing my last machine I wanted to find out about light power use machines, mine uses a 20 watt laptop PSU brick. It's an Asrock Q1900DC from memory, and it's got 16gb or memory, and can scale from 1.33 ghz to 2.41 ghz per core. It's thermally cooled and the only fan in the whole box is a 20cm front fan. The fan is only running right now at 470 rpm, because that is all it needs right now. I have had a great time with it, most of the time, only issues arise from kernel fit, which is close but not able to fully exploit the whole thing.

It's not that old, it's never been bleeding edge, but it's not what most people would even try to research for a build. (It makes me sad that if we are to progress then we have to conform like that, because there's never going to be any real progress in doing the same thing over and over)

I would have loved to have shared all the amazing use cases which I discovered with you, but I could not do it as I can't really write my own kernel, so those use cases were hamstrung.

Oh well I gave it a few years and a bit of cash, sadly not enough, but I did try, which is something I guess.

There is some good news though, and that is this forum, and with the support I was able to gain from it, at least we know it could have happened if people much further upstream had shown a bit more imagination.

I shall of course adapt to newer hardware to carry on working with MX as it's all there is in my view. This is why I was asking if what I was contemplating doing next might be a good idea or if it started alarm bells ringing. It's fairly new, so may not be something that can fit yet or maybe ever. <shrug>
Cheers,
Ian

Stevo
Developer

Post by Stevo » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:18 pm

Often we can still build new programs even for MX 15. I'm building new releases of Pale Moon, Deadbeef, and the Liquorix kernel for it right now, so it's not dead yet!

I'll take a look at ZyGrib after those finish cooking.

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX-15/16”