What init system do you use on MX, the default (sysVinit) or systemd?

What init system do you use on MX, the default (sysVinit) or systemd?

default (sysVinit)
88%
systemd
6%
sometimes one, sometime other
3%
what is an init system?
3%

Total votes: 126

Roberto

Re: What init system do you use on MX, the default (sysVinit) or systemd?

#101 Post by Roberto »

Kulmbacher wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:57 am very good idea, what do you think of devuan?
I think that Devuan is a real alternative for someone, who wants to use a linux distribution without systemd.
It has a high stability and a good performance.
What I criticize is that the versions of the packages are very old. For example, Devuan 2.0 ASCII uses the kernel version 4.9.
This is the reason, why I don't want to install Devuan.

KBD

#102 Post by KBD »

Two issues just solved by booting into systemd on the forum, one with a tablet, one needing tlp to work. Not the first time using systemd has solved problems. I get the dislike of systemd, but I hope some pragmatism enters into the final decision if a choice has to be made for only one init system in MX 19.

NGIB

#103 Post by NGIB »

I use whatever the default is for any Linux system I run, I could really care less what init system is used as long as the computer boots and behaves as it should...
Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Flr6675

#104 Post by Flr6675 »

I use sysVinit as it's the default for MX-Linux. I don't see any valuable reason for switching to another init system. At leat for my use.
MX 19.2 "Patito Feo" - Laptop : i5-8265u - DDRAM 16 Go - SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 To - CGU Intel UHD 620HD

BV206

#105 Post by BV206 »

How do you switch to/from systemd on a live USB or is that even possible?

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#106 Post by dolphin_oracle »

BV206 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:25 pm How do you switch to/from systemd on a live USB or is that even possible?
on the live-usb you cannot switch. only on installed systems.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

napsix65

#107 Post by napsix65 »

I definitely use MX with systemd, sysvinit brings me problems when setting up printers. They are systemd, MX detects and adds the printers automatically, with sysvinit, MX detects the printers, but you have to add them and configure them manually. Having to do this manually, reminds me a lot of Windows, where I had to install the drivers. Then, the rest of the MX system, with systemd, works very well without problems, I do not see why to continue using sysvinit, if systemd, it works very well and has some advantages.

napsix65

#108 Post by napsix65 »

Another issue that I do not like about MX or should I say about XFCE, is having to pair my phone to transfer files via bluetooth. On a PC I am testing KDE Plasma and have an option to transefer files without having to pair the devices, it really is very comfortable. And I'm not comfortable with how to share folders on the network. I think MX should think about migrating from XFCE to another more useful desktop. I only use MX for MX snapshot, a tool that is very useful for me, otherwise I do not see another reason to use MX and sysvinit.

Huckleberry Finn

#109 Post by Huckleberry Finn »

By the way, I tried once only to start with systemd (just to have a see) but it couldn't start...

Return to “General”