Do any of ya'll play the free Linux games?

Here you can just talk about MX or post interesting topics about what you have done in MX that you want to share with others. Other non-MX topics can be discussed within the Rules of the Forum.
CyberGhost

Do any of ya'll play the free Linux games?

#1 Post by CyberGhost »

Hi does anyone here play any of the free games that can be found in Synaptic Package Manager? I used to be a big gamer but to be honest I couldn't afford to buy games anymore so I finally gave my PS4 and all my games to my youngest son one year for his birthday or for Christmas (can't remember which). I discovered the free Linux games on Synaptic when I was using Linux Mint. Over the years I have found some really cool games on there and the 3D games on there have really nice graphics. I mainly just play games to pass the time when I'm bored. Lots of people don't even realize how many cool games there are for free. There's RPG games, FPS games, puzzle games, brain teasers, card games, emulators, racing games, billiard games, strategy games, and much more. I thought about doing a video on which games are the best and how to install them for those new to Linux and for those who just want something to play to pass the time, but I have no clue as to how to go about doing that. I'm sure I could figure it out quite possibly. I'm not sure if Steam is supported for MX or not but I know Lutris is. Steam is really cool and there's more modern games on there. Lutris just allows you to play games there are supported for Linux. I think Lutris and Steam go hand in hand if I remember correctly. Anyways, I really like the the free Linux games that are available. Some are so simple yet so difficult to beat. Which can be rather challenging at times and that makes it even more fun to play. Anyone else out there enjoy these games as well? If so, which are your favorites?

Richard

Re: Do any of ya'll play the free Linux games?

#2 Post by Richard »

@CyberGhost,

I believe Steam is available from the MX repos
based on posts in the forum. Check the MX-Package Installer (MXPI) in the Popular Apps section. If not there check the testrepo.

You'll get better info in the morning when the gamers wake-up, in the morning. :)
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

Richard

#3 Post by Richard »

BTW, I think there is a section on Steam in the MX User Manual. Jerry3904 just released the updated version for 18.3.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#4 Post by JayM »

CyberGhost wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:02 pm Hi does anyone here play any of the free games that can be found in Synaptic Package Manager?
Not me. I did almost nothing but play games on my first "real" computer (not counting my TRS-80) which was an IBM clone 386/20 running MS-DOS, and after several months I became permanently burned out on playing games. The only one I played after that for any length of time was Klondike solitaire on Windows 3.1. To this day I get bored in less than an hour of playing any game and quit, and usually end up uninstalling it.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

CyberGhost

#5 Post by CyberGhost »

Richard wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:54 am @CyberGhost,

I believe Steam is available from the MX repos
based on posts in the forum. Check the MX-Package Installer (MXPI) in the Popular Apps section. If not there check the testrepo.

You'll get better info in the morning when the gamers wake-up, in the morning. :)
Cool thanks! I didn't know that! I did look in Synaptic for it but didn't see it. However, I didn't look in the testrepo

CyberGhost

#6 Post by CyberGhost »

JayM wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:21 am
CyberGhost wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:02 pm Hi does anyone here play any of the free games that can be found in Synaptic Package Manager?
Not me. I did almost nothing but play games on my first "real" computer (not counting my TRS-80) which was an IBM clone 386/20 running MS-DOS, and after several months I became permanently burned out on playing games. The only one I played after that for any length of time was Klondike solitaire on Windows 3.1. To this day I get bored in less than an hour of playing any game and quit, and usually end up uninstalling it.
Ahh ok fair enough

CyberGhost

#7 Post by CyberGhost »

Richard wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:01 am BTW, I think there is a section on Steam in the MX User Manual. Jerry3904 just released the updated version for 18.3.
Awesome! Good to know! Thanks!

masterpeace

#8 Post by masterpeace »

tbh i don't play games too much since i am only having 2 old dual core 64bit laptops , but since installing mx it's revived with somewhat better performance .

btw , after installing steam you need to install proton , just follow the installation guide from steam's setting . it's not that perfect but it definitely allows old 64 bit laptops , run 55~60 fps on low setting ... when even on windows 7 i have 10~20 fps on low setting , is it just me or maybe gaming on linux is currently having significant advancement ?

even when i run Dragon Nest SEA , i got better performance than before even only if 1~6 fps differences , anyone having similar experience ?

asqwerth
Developer

#9 Post by asqwerth »

Sudoku. That's it.

:p
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

malspa

#10 Post by malspa »

JayM wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:21 am Not me.
Me, either, and I prefer a default installation with no games included.

Return to “Community Fun”