Distrowatch review grumbles

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
colin_b

Re: Distrowatch reveiw grumbles

#301 Post by colin_b »

Version: 18.2
Rating: 10
Date: 2019-05-14
Votes: 7

I only wish the installer included more modern file system options like F2FS or NILFS.

Stevo
Developer

#302 Post by Stevo »

We aren't a bleeding-edge distro where you can get possibly buggy file systems, though I think those are built into the newer kernels anyway, AFAIK. We just don't have them in the installer.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#303 Post by JayM »

For me it is the best Distibution off all time because:

Pro
------
1. The Choice, systemd or SysVinit in Grub. (By Default systemd is deaktivated but you can change that after the boot with the MX Boot Options easily if you needed.
2. MX Packet-Installer: Many populare Programs you can find there (debian stable, mx testing, debian backports and flatpaks (from flathub)
4. All the other MX Tools and the decision to install XFCE by the default.
3. Stable!

Cons
---------
It is very boring now because everything works :)
Rating: 10
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Paul..

#304 Post by Paul.. »

It's good to be boring...ahhhh...nice.

Asus Prime X570-Pro | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
16 Gig DDR4 3600 | Radeon RX 5600 XT Graphics
Samsung 860 500GB SSDs (2)

colin_b

#305 Post by colin_b »

Version: 18.2
Rating: 9
Date: 2019-05-19
Votes: 0

This is quite a good distro. I am not giving it a 10 because it does tno support UEFI boot at all. I tried installing on PBR (Partition Boot Record) and ESP and neither managed to be boot up, one even with Legacy boot turned on instead of UEFI. I finally got MX Linux to boot by switching to Legacy boot. But once booted, everything works well. All my hardware is detected and working, and I was able to install Chrome and access my files with no problem.

sunrat

#306 Post by sunrat »

... I am not giving it a 10 because it does tno support UEFI boot at all...
I guess my machine missed the memo about that! :p ;)

Stevo
Developer

#307 Post by Stevo »

Version: 18.3
Rating: 7
Date: 2019-05-29
Votes: 0

Excellent distro if not the problem of rkhunter which is not up to date (revision) as at Fedora30.
Indeed, on MXLinux, Xubuntu and some other distros like CentOs a supposed false positive (Suspicious Shared Memory segments) makes us paranoid. (In my case it is: xfce4-terminal which is incriminated and if I replace it with another terminal, it is the turn of policykit...)

I address MXLinux because I admire it for its fast reactivities, especially the security problems (example spectrum & meltdown and recently "zombieload" in MX 18.3)

Pro:
Solidity, fluidity, safety, stability, ease of use, Plume Creator (which I can't find on Fedora)
- Xfce well integrated without bugs unlike in "Fedora30 Xfce" (which I also like).

Thank you.
Ahem: https://repology.org/project/rkhunter/versions

It's been in main for close to four weeks, so I don't get why this review thinks it's not 1.4.6. :confused:

PPC

#308 Post by PPC »

I found 2 "precious" reviews (or reveiws) I have to share here:

1-
"Works good. Tried out several non-systemd distros, MX is middle of the pack. Void and Devuan are better. However, came to complain about one thing: conky. Both antiX and MX put conky on the desktop by default. Who wants this monstrosity on their desktop? The only way I could uninstall it was by zeroing out everything in the config file. "

-Remark: Because, well, toggling conky off from the menu was too complicated, I guess?

2-
"Work in progress, at best! Easy looking, but incomplete installation (just try to change the default English language!), which needed fixes to boot up reasonably fast, followed by very unreliable operation in my experience (particularly USB).
This distro is meant to impress the geeky part in everyone of us, with that pointless, but very conspicuous 'conky' on the desktop. Apart from that, the xfce desktop is not bad at all, and is actually the best part of the experience.
Not to be recommended to convert a windows user to linux! There are much better distributions for that in my opinion. "

-Remark: Not suspicious at all, another complaint about conky??? oh, and yes, I do change the language, and the translation is very near 100% complete in my own language. What language is the poster trying to use?

manyroads

#309 Post by manyroads »

People will complain about any & everything. :eek:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

sunrat

#310 Post by sunrat »

manyroads wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:57 am People will complain about any & everything. :eek:
Especially about things they don't understand and can't be bothered learning.
"If all else fails, read the instructions". :snail:

Return to “General”