Why XFCE?

davemx

Re: Why XFCE?

#101 Post by davemx »

DracoSentien wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:50 am
For what is worth KDE is super fast on slackware because slackware is just superfast in general because it lacks all the hand holding bloat spaghetti code of Ubuntu. Only reason I am not using slackware right now is its last release was in 2016 and -current is not stable.
KDE is fast enough, it's just annoying. Like a lot of desktops.
Desktop: Mini-Box M350 with Asus H110i-plus motherboard, Pentium G4600 processor, 2TB SSD and 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133
Printer/Scanner: Brother MFC-J5335W
Laptop: Lenovo V15 ADA
Media Centre: Lenovo Q190

Cavsfan

#102 Post by Cavsfan »

richb wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:25 pm It would be useful to explore the MX Tools. They are designed to make things easier for XFCE and the system in general. They are frequently praised by reviewers fir this reason. I understand that when one is very familiar with a system and have done things a certain way that is the go to method.
In any case glad to have you here and I hope you enjoy MX.
Thank you! I am enjoying MX very much. I tried to install the development version a few days ago and I did move the panel from the left side via MX Tools, so I do see how that works. After I installed the Nvidia driver, I installed the 5.0 something kernel and it wouldn't boot.
Tried twice and gave up. Then I installed antiX 17.4.1 in it's place. It didn't come with Xfce but, sudo apt install xfce4 got me most of what I wanted, including the session. I still had to install xfce4-terminal (as they call it) and mousepad.
Here's a screenshot:

Probably not a real good background for the conkys but, not too bad. I was also able to customize the grub screen: I used one of their backgrounds and 3 font colors.

I noticed yesterday that on one site MX Linux was #1 I believe in getting the most attention right now and getting installed. So, the word is getting around.
Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki for Legacy/MBR and UEFI/GPT systems
Intel Core i7-4770K, Mobo: ASUSTeK model: Z87-K, Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, 16GB RAM, 1TB Western Digital Blue SSD, 480GB OCZ VERTEX460 SSD

masinick

#103 Post by masinick »

Xfce, even dating back to the "original" implementation, has always been fairly simple, modest on resources and sensible. As technology has improved, so has Xfce, though certainly not with any "bleeding edge" features, but also lacking a great number of work stopping errors.

I've found Xfce to be similar in features and performance with the earliest desktop environments.
Xfce is not the leader of fancy new features but it has long been a reliable, simple to use desktop environment.

My desktop needs are not great, so Xfce is perfect for me.

There are times when I do not need a desktop environment at all. Xfce is still fine because it's not cumbersome, but in those cases I may use the IceWM window manager and a Web browser, file manager and command line, perhaps with a simple text editor.

spanizdogs

#104 Post by spanizdogs »

Mxlinux can run on a laptop with low specs and high specs . So a wider ranche of users all over the world, also for people with no budget.

If you look into the future the differents between the flashy desktops (unity/Gnome) and a DE like xfce will be more and more.
Old computers are getting older, but still usefull, and the new ones are getting faster and faster. At that time Mxlinux users with low end computers are still capable to use mxlinux.
A unity/gnome like system will ask more and more of your system in the future.

It's just a functional stable system.

Thats how i see MxLInux, why i think they use XFCE.
Arcolinuxb I3 xfce.

lekkermx

#105 Post by lekkermx »

Artim wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:39 pm I have used Gnome, LXDE, KDE, Enlightenment, Openbox, Fluxbox, and Xfce. By far the easiest for me to configure any which way I like it is Xfce. I also think it's probably the most "newbie-friendly" DE, which is why it is the choice of some distros for children (even more than the Sugar desktop) as well as newcomers to Linux.
For some reason I don't understand Rhythmbox only works in the Gnome/Budgie desktop environment.

Will I break something if I install Budgie from the MX package installer? Okay not me personally, but the MX Linux system.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#106 Post by JayM »

lekkermx wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:06 pm
Artim wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:39 pm I have used Gnome, LXDE, KDE, Enlightenment, Openbox, Fluxbox, and Xfce. By far the easiest for me to configure any which way I like it is Xfce. I also think it's probably the most "newbie-friendly" DE, which is why it is the choice of some distros for children (even more than the Sugar desktop) as well as newcomers to Linux.
For some reason I don't understand Rhythmbox only works in the Gnome/Budgie desktop environment.

Will I break something if I install Budgie from the MX package installer? Okay not me personally, but the MX Linux system.
A forum search unearthed many questions and mentions of Rhythmbox so apparently it's working for others in Xfce. If you're having a problem with it I suggest you start a new topic, giving details of exactly what the problem is and including your quick system info, so people can try to help troubleshoot it.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Cavsfan

#107 Post by Cavsfan »

Rhythmbox? What's that? :hamster: Oh yeah I used to use that but, it's been a long, long time. Why not simply use Audacious instead?
It works great with Conkywx plus what else has a Winamp Classic UI?

Xfce is the same across distros, you have Thunar, Mousepad, xfce-terminal, etc. They basically are the same in the same place or close.
I currently have 8 Linux distros and Windows 10 on this machine. I get bored just using stuff, I have to be looking into a new distro, or installing it and tweaking it.

I have Arch Linux (rolling), Debian Buster (was Testing but, I let it become 10), Debian Testing (rolling), Fedora 30, openSUSE Tumbleweed (rolling) MX Linux 18.3, Xubuntu Bionic Beaver 18.04 LTS, Xubuntu Eoan Ermine 19.10 (devel) and Windows 10.
Every grub is customized because everytime it updates on one system it installs there. :spinning: Most systems get other systems grub wrong, Arch Linux for example has 2 imgs on the initrd line like so:

Code: Select all

initrd /intel-ucode.img /initramfs-linux.img
Every distro except Arch and openSUSE just insert the first one and leave the 2nd one off causing a no boot situation unless you know to edit that line and know what to insert.
I opened a bug on openSUSE and that is why that is fixed; also opened one in Ubuntu but, it just sits there. :tumbleweed:

Anyway, I have Xfce on every one of the 8 Linux systems, also addicted to buuf icons. I install that right after I get the Nvidia fan cooling the system down after installation (coolbits, etc.)
Paramvir, our weather programmer wizard is still working on automating weather sources. When you use 1 weather site to obtain all of your weather info and it changes, everything goes down.

He is working on it switching automatically to another weather source without the user even noticing.
Here is the latest and I wish I could provide a movie because some of the conkys scroll down and some sideways, so it's not static. I've never heard of anything like this before.
The news is just from the Onion. :bouncingsheep:

Have you all noticed on Distrowatch MX Linux is the #1 Distribution. :woot:
Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki for Legacy/MBR and UEFI/GPT systems
Intel Core i7-4770K, Mobo: ASUSTeK model: Z87-K, Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, 16GB RAM, 1TB Western Digital Blue SSD, 480GB OCZ VERTEX460 SSD

Cavsfan

#108 Post by Cavsfan »

Sorry, just one more thing about Xfce: on Mousepad I always go to edit > preferences and change the Color Scheme to Cobalt.
Nice and dark plus you get the colors on executable files.

Ok, that's it; I know I've repeated myself a few times, so I shall post no more...

manyroads

#109 Post by manyroads »

I have to say that most of the tangential software like music players etc are able to run on most desktop environments (DEs). Xfce is a desktop environment, not the packaged apps a distro chooses to apply to the DE. I personally use many of the same apps across DEs and wm (window managers)... they look a bit different environment to environment but that's about all.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

famicommander

#110 Post by famicommander »

I mostly just want a traditional desktop metaphor. None of that Unity or GNOME 3 crap.

I cut my Linux teeth on GNOME 2 but I have spent plenty of time using Xfce, KDE, Cinnamon, LXDE, and MATE. I have always found KDE sluggish and never much liked it but I am not picky between Xfce, Cinnamon, LXDE, or MATE. I am using MX Linux specifically because it's the only distro besides Fedora that would install on my Ryzen 2200G rig. I had never tried it prior but I really like it so far. But Linux Mint, Xubuntu, Ubuntu MATE, and Manjaro all failed to boot. Sabayon booted but failed to install. Most of those OSes don't ship with a new enough kernel to support my processor. Not sure why Sabayon wouldn't install as it ran great in a live environment.

I am excited for the vsync and HiDPI support coming when the next MX release ships with the new Xfce, as this is mostly a media and streaming box hooked up to my 4K TV. Fedora installed fine on the machine but it didn't perform as well with 4K streaming video as MX seems to so far.

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”