Firefox now working without pulseaudio!!

rs55

Firefox now working without pulseaudio!!

#1 Post by rs55 »

https://codelab.wordpress.com/2017/12/1 ... he-rescue/

I used the tips in the linked article to get sound working with firefox. I uninstalled pulseaudio some time back - happy with alsa. Recently discovered that firefox does not play with alsa . ( I use Chrome , but was curious about giving firefox a shot).

sunrat

Re: Firefox now working without pulseaudio!!

#2 Post by sunrat »

Did you have to use all the tweaks suggested in that article? One of the comments said only 2 of them were necessary.

Also I found this non-pa Firefox build during random browsing:
http://submarine.strangled.net/ actual page URL for the FF download has a naughty word so the forum censored it out.

Could be some random hacker but I doubt it would be worth the effort to add evil code considering how obscure it was to find in the first place and the probable tiny number of downloads. I'm downloading the tarball of 67.0 and will check it out.

rs55

#3 Post by rs55 »

sunrat wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:21 pm Did you have to use all the tweaks suggested in that article? One of the comments said only 2 of them were necessary.

Also I found this non-pa Firefox build during random browsing:
http://submarine.strangled.net/ actual page URL for the FF download has a naughty word so the forum censored it out.

Could be some random hacker but I doubt it would be worth the effort to add evil code considering how obscure it was to find in the first place and the probable tiny number of downloads. I'm downloading the tarball of 67.0 and will check it out.
Yes - I used all the tips. I wanted to have the standard firefox - because when it comes to browsers I want all the latest updates etc. I still use Chrome - but took this firefox sound on as a challenge!

Stevo
Developer

#4 Post by Stevo »

So you installed the MX version of apulse to fool Firefox that pulseaudio was still there? Apulse is not in the Stretch repos.

rs55

#5 Post by rs55 »

Stevo wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:01 pm So you installed the MX version of apulse to fool Firefox that pulseaudio was still there? Apulse is not in the Stretch repos.
yes i got apulse from the MX linux package installer - "Stable Repo" . I like my sound system better without pulseaudio - set everything once in alsa and it just stays there. Volume control is more predictable ( pulse would rest volume to 100% if I used the laptop harware volume control - I like to keep it at 120-130%). Just feels cleaner to not have an intermediary getting the way without adding any real capabilities.

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

The firefox-esr package from the Debian repositories is compiled with the --enable-alsa option and does not need apulse for sound to work without pulseaudio.
mod note: Signature removed, please read the forum rules

rs55

#7 Post by rs55 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:56 am The firefox-esr package from the Debian repositories is compiled with the --enable-alsa option and does not need apulse for sound to work without pulseaudio.
Thanks. I tried Firefox-ESR , it works with just alsa ! Only reason I am sticking with my original solution is : Firefox is at version 67.., while ESR seems to be several versions old 60....

Head_on_a_Stick

#8 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

rs55 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:09 am ESR seems to be several versions old 60....
No, that is the current ESR version:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/

It will get a version bump when FF v68 is released and Debian will update it very soon afterwards.

I much prefer the ESR version, Mozilla always seems to make their browser worse with every new release 9_9
mod note: Signature removed, please read the forum rules

rs55

#9 Post by rs55 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:30 am
rs55 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:09 am ESR seems to be several versions old 60....
No, that is the current ESR version:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/

It will get a version bump when FF v68 is released and Debian will update it very soon afterwards.

I much prefer the ESR version, Mozilla always seems to make their browser worse with every new release 9_9
Minor point perhaps, but I noticed that ESR was not displaying the icons on my bookmarks toolbar correctly - just generic icons, whereas FF displays the actual wesite icons correctly. Literally just cranked up ESR - so maybe Iam missing something.

dreamer

#10 Post by dreamer »

rs55 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:39 am Minor point perhaps, but I noticed that ESR was not displaying the icons on my bookmarks toolbar correctly - just generic icons, whereas FF displays the actual wesite icons correctly. Literally just cranked up ESR - so maybe Iam missing something.
You need to visit the websites after importing bookmarks for the favicons to be displayed. Favicons aren't exported with bookmarks.

Return to “Software / Configuration”