Why XFCE?

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: Why XFCE?

#61 Post by Jerry3904 »

Funny, in five years with MX I've never seen that panel problem. You might think of starting a new thread dedicated to this, including the output of Quick System Info.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

rs55

#62 Post by rs55 »

XFCE is great. I use the spacefm file manager ( never liked thunar - and spacefm does more without a fuss).
At the end of the day - I dont plan to spend my days admiring the OS ( I never understood all this obsesion with wobbly windows and other animations etc - why?). Its more about actually using the computer to do stuff.

dreamer

#63 Post by dreamer »

Cavsfan wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:00 pm The ONLY downfall I see to MX is that, like all Debian based distros, while booting up sometimes the panels do not appear and you have to logoff or reboot if logging off is not an option to get the panel(s) to show but, it's not that big of a problem.
Are you booting MX Linux with systemd?

alexjack

#64 Post by alexjack »

I feel like desktop design was basically solved at around the Windows 2000 point, and most changes since have been minor, cosmetic, or regressive in some way. XFCE is fast, light on resources, customisable and has buttons to open applications. There was a lot of discussion about XFCE in the most recent Linux Unplugged podcast. Last week, they were talking up Ubuntu 19.04, saying how much it's improved in terms of speed, but that's making improvements to bloat that has been added... for some reason. This week, they are marvelling at how fast XFCE is.

What are new desktop environments trying to do?

azrielle

#65 Post by azrielle »

Eggnog wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:54 pm I've used a few DEs in my time. I like some of them. But I always prefer Xfce if the distribution supports it. Some users have to have bells and whistles, and more bells and newer whistles. I don't need wobbly things and spinning things. My goal is not to play with the DE. I just want my DE to work and stay out of my way. Xfce does that nicely. I don't even mind Thunar. I'm kind of getting to like it. But the biggest reason I like Xfce is that it just doesn't piss me off.
My sentiments as well. And MX' implementation of Xfce--including the side panel--is NEAR PERFECT. Also concur with Dolphin Oracle's comments about Xfce's Whisker Menu (as opposed to, say, KDE's irritating hierarchical menu, for example):
but mostly for me its the whiskermenu, which is the IMO is the best menu on any DE. Brisk is close (mate and budgie) but its still a pale imitation of whisker.
Lenovo T430 i5/3320m 8GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 180GB SSD/128GB mSATA
Lenovo X230 i7/3520m 12GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 500GB SSD 480GB mSATA
Lenovo X131e i3/3227u 8GB MX21Xfce/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Lenovo 11e Celeron n3150 4GB MX19/Fedora30Games 128GB SSD

oops

#66 Post by oops »

rs55 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:13 pm XFCE is great. I use the spacefm file manager ( never liked thunar - and spacefm does more without a fuss).
At the end of the day - I dont plan to spend my days admiring the OS ( I never understood all this obsesion with wobbly windows and other animations etc - why?). Its more about actually using the computer to do stuff.
+1 except:
XFCE is great (without too many untimely changes of design during about 20 years). I use the Nemo file manager ( never liked Thunar too much too - and Nemo does more without a fuss, and have Nautilus scripts functionality).
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

denis12

#67 Post by denis12 »

How you able to make file picker for Nemo or else instead of Thunar? I mean when you download or upload image from (to) browser, you will see file manager which look like stupid Thunar, but not Nemo.

BobbieAN

#68 Post by BobbieAN »

Can we get this fix for Firefox fullscreen video issue?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1796144

denis12

#69 Post by denis12 »

So differents between xfce and kde is only the RAM usage? I think linux is good only for internet browsing. It not require to install antivirus. So if i will get the same faster webserfing with kde and with xfce, what a point to use only xfce? Differents between Ram usage is only 500-1000 mb. I don't think DE have big influence on browser.

beardedragon

#70 Post by beardedragon »

denis12 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:19 pm So differents between xfce and kde is only the RAM usage? I think linux is good only for internet browsing. It not require to install antivirus. So if i will get the same faster webserfing with kde and with xfce, what a point to use only xfce? Differents between Ram usage is only 500-1000 mb. I don't think DE have big influence on browser.
See this for a choice:
Rule #1 Backup Everything
Rule #2 Read Rule #1

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”