What init system do you use on MX, the default (sysVinit) or systemd?

What init system do you use on MX, the default (sysVinit) or systemd?

default (sysVinit)
88%
systemd
6%
sometimes one, sometime other
3%
what is an init system?
3%

Total votes: 125

esbeeb

snapd sysVinit start/stop script, so it runs at boot time?

#21 Post by esbeeb »

Well, if a sysVinit start/stop script got created when I install snapd (such that snapd starts at boot time, under sysVinit), then I wouldn't need to reboot into systemd mode.

Pretty please, oh MX Linux devs, could that be created somehow when the snapd package gets installed? :)
Esbeeb
MX 21

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: snapd sysVinit start/stop script, so it runs at boot time?

#22 Post by dolphin_oracle »

esbeeb wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:31 am Well, if a sysVinit start/stop script got created when I install snapd (such that snapd starts at boot time, under sysVinit), then I wouldn't need to reboot into systemd mode.

Pretty please, oh MX Linux devs, could that be created somehow when the snapd package gets installed? :)
not to get off-topic, but this point might be relevant for some folks answering the poll. Its not the starting of snapd that is hard (its actually pretty easy). Its the fact that snapd as shipped actually requires systemd to be running to operate and run snaps. I don't look for this to change since ubuntu pretty much is the driving factor for snaps, and they use systemd by default.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

male

Re: What init system do you use on MX, the default (sysVinit) or systemd?

#23 Post by male »

Thank you, Adrian, for this survey. ;)

antiX14-RD was back then with systemd.
It was the coolest OS ever for me and I was hoping that anti would stay with it. Unfortunately, the team decided against it.

To the critics of systemd, I want to say here, take an OS with you
systemd, which this init system uses inherently. Which doesn't have a hermaphrodite like MX. The initial teething troubles have been overcome. I use siduction and archlinux. Both were installed around 2016 and don't cause me any problems.
You have to "get involved" with systemd, you have to learn it. For me it is the most beneficial invention of the last few years, because I have to use my OS "understand". I never understood sysvinit.

Logically MX starts with systemd.

Eggnog

#24 Post by Eggnog »

manyroads wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:07 pm By way of a comment... one of the best things about MX/antiX is having the option to bypass systemd. Just sayin' :wink:
Choices are always good.

KBD

#25 Post by KBD »

Here is just one issue I've run into with systemd, the dreaded 1min 30s delay at boot because systemd doesn't like that swap got moved or changed:
viewtopic.php?f=108&t=45816&p=454939&hi ... id#p454939

As asqwerth noted:
This is an annoying known systemd issue. It happens usually not when swap is renamed but because you may have reformatted the swap partition in the midst of installing another distros. Once you do that, even if you're using the same partition for swap, the UUID number of that swap partition is no longer the original one. To systemd, that means the whole identity of swap has changed so it can't find it if it's looking for something that matches the number on the fstab file.

I'm actually dealing with this right now as I replaced a drive in a two drive system and LMDE (based on Debian Stable with systemd) is annoyed and delaying my boot.

figueroa

#26 Post by figueroa »

skidoo wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:54 pm PSA: the correct spelling of the name "systemd" is all lowercase
openrc
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

anticapitalista
Developer

#27 Post by anticapitalista »

Please don't post your favourite init; just simply answer the question about which do you use on MX, thanks.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

skidoo

#28 Post by skidoo »

figueroa wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:00 pm
skidoo wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:54 pm PSA: the correct spelling of the name "systemd" is all lowercase
openrc
First of all, OpenRC is absent from the list pasted in my earlier message because
by design, OpenRC does not an supply "init" ~~ it just provides a service supervision suite
(note the highlighted wording within the gentoo.org wiki, below)

Second, I can't understand why you quoted that line from my post.
Did you mistakenly believe the OpenRC project also uses/prefers all lowercase in their project name?

Please don't post your favourite init; just simply answer the question about which do you use on MX, thanks.
But why, mommy?
We're on a roll, trading notes and learnin' stuff and eveeebody can see the poll is available and vote if they wanna

anticapitalista
Developer

#29 Post by anticapitalista »

skidoo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:04 pm
But why, mommy?
We're on a roll, trading notes and learnin' stuff and eveeebody can see the poll is available and vote if they wanna
Start a new thread if you want to discuss init systems.
This thread is simply to find out which of the 2 init systems provided by MX is chosen by users.
For systemd users, it is also useful to know why
e.g. post by esbeeb in which the poster's preferred app only works (for now) with systemd.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

richb
Administrator

#30 Post by richb »

Not that he needs my confirmation or support, but please comply with anticapitilista's request and adrian's first post. Want a thorough discussion of init systems? Start a new thread.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Return to “General”