[SOLVED]gnutv (or even maybe me-tv)

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
coralrock

[SOLVED]gnutv (or even maybe me-tv)

#1 Post by coralrock »

Hello,

I'm new to MX-Linux (but not Linux in general). I wanted to install gnutv and it doesn't seem to be in any of the repositories, which I find kind of surprising. I like to watch and record Over-The-Air digital TV broadcast in the ATSC format used in North America. ME-TV was a great program for doing that, but it's no longer supported and it uses an old version of gstreamer. GnuTV I would think ought to work and be pretty ubiquitous as it's a reference program. I actually got Me-TV to work on devuan ASCII with some finagling, and gnutv has always been easy to get with every distro I've tried until this one. Does anyone know where to get gnutv or even, and I know this is a long shot, me-tv that will work on my system, which is:
MX 18.1
CPU: 6-Core AMD FX-6300 (-MCP-) speed/min/max: 1400/1400/3500 MHz Kernel: 4.15.0-1-amd64 x86_64
Up: 10m Mem: 729.3/7458.3 MiB (9.8%) Storage: 931.51 GiB (5.0% used) Procs: 194

BTW I know about Kodi and MythTV and those other client-server model media centers, and vdr, so please don't bother recommending them as alternatives.
Last edited by coralrock on Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kmathern
Developer

Re: gnutv (or even maybe me-tv)

#2 Post by kmathern »

coralrock wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:14 pm Hello,

I'm new to MX-Linux (but not Linux in general). I wanted to install gnutv and it doesn't seem to be in any of the repositories, which I find kind of surprising. I like to watch and record Over-The-Air digital TV broadcast in the ATSC format used in North America. ME-TV was a great program for doing that, but it's no longer supported and it uses an old version of gstreamer. GnuTV I would think ought to work and be pretty ubiquitous as it's a reference program. I actually got Me-TV to work on devuan ASCII with some finagling, and gnutv has always been easy to get with every distro I've tried until this one. Does anyone know where to get gnutv or even, and I know this is a long shot, me-tv that will work on my system, which is:
MX 18.1
CPU: 6-Core AMD FX-6300 (-MCP-) speed/min/max: 1400/1400/3500 MHz Kernel: 4.15.0-1-amd64 x86_64
Up: 10m Mem: 729.3/7458.3 MiB (9.8%) Storage: 931.51 GiB (5.0% used) Procs: 194

BTW I know about Kodi and MythTV and those other client-server model media centers, and vdr, so please don't bother recommending them as alternatives.
It looks to me that gnutv is included in dvb-apps https://packages.debian.org/stretch/dvb-apps

coralrock

#3 Post by coralrock »

Hi,

I'm a bit embarrassed but I solved my own problem pretty quickly. I needed to get dvb-apps, not gnutv directly. (I'll blame it on hayfever.)

But I'll leave this question open for awhile just in case somebody knows how to get me-tv working.

coralrock

#4 Post by coralrock »

Oh, somebody else was posting the solution about getting dvb-apps at the same time I was posting.

Thanks,

Stevo
Developer

#5 Post by Stevo »

I remember that some users were using Kaffeine for digital TV, too.

coralrock

#6 Post by coralrock »

Yeah, Kaffeine was originally for use in Europe where they use a different digital standard. It's suppose to be able to use North America's ATSC broadcast standard now. I tried it on a different linux distro and had problems. Maybe it works better on MX-Linux (or maybe there have been improvements in the last few months.) I should give it a try, and maybe post the results here.

coralrock

[SOLVED]Re: gnutv (or even maybe me-tv)

#7 Post by coralrock »

OK, I'm ready to mark this as solved (if I can figure out how.Do I just edit the subject line?) My problem with Kaffeine is that for some reason I can't get it to scan all the local channels here in the San Francisco Bay Area. But, installing Me-TV turned out to be easier than it was with devuan ASCII. (y'know, MX-Linux looks a lot like Devuan ASCII). Anyway, if anybody's interested, here's how I installed me-tv:
(NOTE: I did this as root, so you don't see any 'sudo xxx' here.)

First I located and downloaded me-tv_1.3.7-1build2_amd64.deb

Then,
# dpkg -i me-tv_1.3.7-1build2_amd64.deb
which resulted in:
Selecting previously unselected package me-tv.
(Reading database ... 336975 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack me-tv_1.3.7-1build2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking me-tv (1.3.7-1build2) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of me-tv:
me-tv depends on libgconfmm-2.6-1v5 (>= 2.24.0); however:
Package libgconfmm-2.6-1v5 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package me-tv (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for gconf2 (3.2.6-4+b1) ...
Processing triggers for menu (2.1.47+b1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.6.1-2) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.23-1) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.60) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
me-tv

So I went in to synaptic and what do you know, libgconfmm-2.6-tv5 was right there to be installed. So I did that, and then tried dpkg -i on the me-tv deb file
again and it installed!

Much less finagling that with devuan, so way to go MX-Linux!

I realize that me-tv is on the way out though. I saw where somebody expressed interest in maintaining but wants to make it client-server (sigh). I might've signed up to be the maintainer myself, but it's written in C++ and I'm only a C programmer.

towwire

#8 Post by towwire »

To mark it solved, edit the title in your first post.
It is easier to fight for one's principles then to live up to them.

Stevo
Developer

#9 Post by Stevo »

Usually, in MX, you can just click on a deb file to install it with gdebi, and it will pull in all the dependencies automatically. You can also right click the deb in our Thunar file manager, and you'll have an option to install it in a terminal with apt, which is faster, but still pulls in all the missing dependencies, or rejects it if not compatible. Devuan is welcome to copy that Thunar custom action from us, too...

Is that particular deb from the Ubuntu repository, by the way?

coralrock

Re: [SOLVED]gnutv (or even maybe me-tv)

#10 Post by coralrock »

I don't remember where I got that particular deb file from. When I was trying to get it run on Devuan ASCII, I had to try a bunch of different things, including several deb files variants.

OK, I'm adding to this last post. I tried putting me-tv on a fresh install of MX-Linux. I reckon I must've prepped the first install more than I realized. If anybody besides me wants to put me-tv on MX-Linux, first update your system. Then install dvb-apps, libxine2, libxine2-ffmpeg, libxine2-x, libgconfmm-2.6-1v5.
Then do the dpkg -i me-tv_1.3.7-1build2_amd64.deb. And, if it's still missing something, install that and try again.

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”