Request: gcc & g++ 8 in MX18

For developer discussion on package requests
figueroa

Re: Request: gcc & g++ 8 in MX18

#11 Post by figueroa »

Otter wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:25 am
You still haven't explained why you feel like you need, or want this, in particular in MX which is a nice stable distribution, not a bleeding edge developer's platform. Why not compile it yourself from source? That would be project to test your mettle.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

Otter

#12 Post by Otter »

Stevo wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:49 pm The stock gcc-6 in MX 17/18 supports the c++-14 standard--I build packages that need that standard quite frequently. Did you mean c++-17?

An existing option for a compiler that supports a newer standard would be the latest clang compiler, and we have 7.0 backported to the main repo.
Its a long term project, so thought of using gcc-8 due to several reasons. Anyway no need to backport it just for me. I've installed it from testing as I did with MX17 for gcc7 and all is fine with MX18 too. :)

figueroa wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:39 pmYou still haven't explained why you feel like you need, or want this, in particular in MX which is a nice stable distribution, not a bleeding edge developer's platform. Why not compile it yourself from source? That would be project to test your mettle.
I've already mentioned that I need it for development.
:dancingman: Happy MX Linux User!

figueroa

#13 Post by figueroa »

Otter wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:33 am First of all, I guess everyone thinks that I'm new to Linux since I have very few posts here & also maybe because of the goofy signature. But I've been using Linux for the past decade and still I'm not going to change the signature. I just love it.
Actually, it is very goofy and irritating. Doesn't present you well to your readers.
Andy Figueroa

Otter

#14 Post by Otter »

figueroa wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:42 pm
Otter wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:33 am First of all, I guess everyone thinks that I'm new to Linux since I have very few posts here & also maybe because of the goofy signature. But I've been using Linux for the past decade and still I'm not going to change the signature. I just love it.
Actually, it is very goofy and irritating. Doesn't present you well to your readers.
If I keep changing myself for the whole world, then I would lose my actual identity and I'm 30+ yrs old, so I've learned to not please others just because they want me to be the way they expect me to. :dancingman:

figueroa

#15 Post by figueroa »

Otter wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:45 am If I keep changing myself for the whole world, then I would lose my actual identity and I'm 30+ yrs old, so I've learned to not please others just because they want me to be the way they expect me to.
No, that's not it. It's quite irritating to the eyes, offensive, and juvenile.
Andy Figueroa

skidoo

#16 Post by skidoo »

This topic has gone "all wrong". Let's review:

The OP placed a respectful request.
The OP patiently (or forgot) waited several months then, again politely, begged a response to the unreplied inquiry.

After the initial "brilliant", terse, unexplained unfavorable response...
s/he met challenging replies like "your face is an XY problem", "can't you just wait for Buster", "you haven't throughly explained, in your triplicate TRS Reports, exactly WHY you need it"...

@figueroa
About the animated gif(s), I hear ya. For me, the animated avatars are especially bothersome. Even the animated "hot topic" icons on main page are an annoyance when the browser window peeks out from behind other application windows I'm working in.

@Otter
First of all, thanks for asking! Indeed, it's a PITA being unable to (re)compile versions of applications shipped in the "stable" release, due to their extraordinary build dependencies. I have not yet attempted to do so, but bookmarked this hopefully relevant May 2018 article for reference: Raspberry Pi Raspbian - Compiling GCC 8.1

Not gcc8, but here's an example "exercise in futility":
https://www.opensnitch.io/ -=- https://github.com/evilsocket/opensnitch
Twice, I've unsuccessfully tried to "round up all the needed stuffs" and build this on debian9/antiX17 stable.
Lost several hours just figuring out "dep" is a pre-requisite Go module (and is apparently unknown to the debian Go packagers).
It's open source... but nyah nyah, no soup for me!

anticapitalista
Developer

#17 Post by anticapitalista »

skidoo - Otter only needed a yes/no answer. He/she said that he/she is not a noob and therefore experienced enough to understand why a distro based on stable is not going to add gcc8 (buster/sid) to its repos.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Otter

#18 Post by Otter »

figueroa wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:24 pmNo, that's not it. It's quite irritating to the eyes, offensive, and juvenile.
skidoo wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:21 pm About the animated gif(s), I hear ya. For me, the animated avatars are especially bothersome. Even the animated "hot topic" icons on main page are an annoyance when the browser window peeks out from behind other application windows I'm working in.
Then there is an option in the user cp to disable signature and disable smileys too, ucp.php?i=ucp_prefs&mode=view. Knock yourselves out.

anticapitalista wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:10 pm skidoo - Otter only needed a yes/no answer. He/she said that he/she is not a noob and therefore experienced enough to understand why a distro based on stable is not going to add gcc8 (buster/sid) to its repos.
This.

Could some mods please lock this topic as its already solved.

richb
Administrator

#19 Post by richb »

Add [Solved] to the title of your first post. I will then lock it. Normally we do not lock solved topics but this topic has gone off the rails.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

scap

#20 Post by scap »

I just posted about g++-9 in the software forum as I didn't realize this forum existed. I am a new MX LInux user but not new to linux. I wanted to understand the hype but if I can't do work its a non-starter. I need some of the new compiler features for code I have written prior to coming to mxlinux. As a developer I want to use the newest tech. I'll see if I can quickly get the latest clang in the repo to compile my code if not I will likely have to move back.

Return to “Package Requests / Status”