Namebench - no GUI or menu item

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Namebench - no GUI or menu item

#1 Post by JayM »

I'm not sure if this belongs here or not but I installed namebench from the stable repo, but it depends on python-tk for its GUI which it didn't install. Since namebench was installed as cli-only it also didn't create an item in the menu. For all I know this is a feature because maybe most people just want to be able to run it in a terminal only? *shrug* Just thought I'd mention it.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Stevo
Developer

Re: Namebench - no GUI or menu item

#2 Post by Stevo »

Yes, MX doesn't install recommended packages by default, unlike Debian, and python-tk is only recommended instead of a hard dependency.

Code: Select all

$ apt show namebench
Package: namebench
Version: 1.3.1+dfsg-2
Priority: optional
Section: net
Maintainer: Debian Python Modules Team <python-modules-team@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Installed-Size: 1,597 kB
Depends: python-dnspython, python-graphy, python-httplib2, python-jinja2, python-simplejson, python (>= 2.6.6-7~)
Recommends: python-tk, www-browser
I think we need to mention this difference in our FAQ.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#3 Post by Jerry3904 »

I will, though I don't honestly know who will see it...
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#4 Post by JayM »

Maybe just mention that in the package description, install python-tk for a GUI display? Or have two packages, namebench that's command-line only (and says so in the description) and namebench-tk (or something like that) that also installs python-tk, icons and a menu item?
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

MXRobo

#5 Post by MXRobo »

Not trying to be a jerk (just naturally), but it appears as though everyone's suggestions has been overlooked - just as a reminder! :happy:

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#6 Post by JayM »

Do not reply to or "bump" old topics unless you have something useful to contribute. Do not unnecessarily bump your own topics. Wait at least 24 hours for a reply.

Return to “Software / Configuration”