"Man, I love that distro ..."

Eggnog

"Man, I love that distro ..."

#1 Post by Eggnog »

I was watching a youtube vid earlier by Distrotube. Subscribers had asked him what are his favorite distro and DE. Turns out he's pretty DE agnostic although he favors Openbox, but he said he couldn't narrow his favorite distro down to just one. He likes Debian and Arch for the sheer size of their repositories. He went on to say that people could run derivatives if they didn't want to install pure Debian or pure Arch, and then he started naming some of them off. When he was on Debian derivatives he started naming them off one after the other, but when he got to MX Linux he paused, and then said "Man, I love that distro ..." and then moved on. I thought that was a nice low-key compliment.

TKD

Re: "Man, I love that distro ..."

#2 Post by TKD »

I discovered MX Linux through Distrowatch. It was almost on top of the list so I gave it a try. Since I ran Debian before that I wouldn't be lost. And glad I did. Works like a charm.
Not sure if I like XFCE though, might switch to Cinnamon.

dphn

#3 Post by dphn »

Love pure debian too, but I don't like their live images. Without a configuration. A poor looking standard-xfce and so many packages are not installed by default, for example sudo. A really great distribution but incomplete live-isos and you must search for the images with the non-free firmware included.

Ubuntu comes with a unique configuration. Their systems looking good, but essential packages like gcc, make, perl are not preinstalled. You can't install such things like VirtualBox without problems. The "build-essentials" are needed to build the kernel-modules for VB.

O.k. it's difficult to say, what's recommend and what's not for creating the »perfect distro«. I personally create my images without server tools. I think especially here you have so many different possibilities. You can install samba (of course), I prefer NFS shares and another one want to install the openssh-server. Nobody needs all that stuff in a live environment, so I think servers and network shares are really user specific tasks.

I think the most recommend way is to start with a netinstall image like Debian-netinstall or the antix-core without systemd is a nice starting point too. And of course Arch Linux, when you want a rolling release.
for those with an eye for the finer details...

asqwerth
Developer

#4 Post by asqwerth »

dphn wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:27 am......And of course Arch Linux, when you want a rolling release.

I really like the Anarchy Linux terminal-based installer. It's essentially a net installer (but more colourful and much prettier than, say, the Slackware ncurses one) but you can choose:

1. what profile of system you want - desktop, server, LTS or current kernel, etc
2. choice of DE
3. choice of shell
4. choice of applications/software to be installed, which you select from a whole list of different categories (e.g. internet, multimedia, games, office, etc)
5. bootloader choice.

etc.

This way you download and install only the programs you want.

It was not too difficult for me to put together and set up my own customised, out of the box good-looking, Arch-based distro from the installer, albeit it's running in Virtualbox.

This is a good run-through of the install process, starting from 7:13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS_tKh7LAJg
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

dphn

#5 Post by dphn »

I know about anarchy or arch-anywhere installer. Really good.
for those with an eye for the finer details...

Return to “General”