MX 17/18 Repository: The Strawberry Music Player Thread

Stevo
Developer

MX 17/18 Repository: The Strawberry Music Player Thread

#1 Post by Stevo »

We now have the current 0.5.2 release of this fork of Clementine in our test repository; the first Debian-based distro to have it, according to repology. It was built using a debian folder included in the source, though that did need some changes.

The main reason for the fork is to maintain support for high-resolution audio playback, with less interest in the "cloud" than Clementine. Here's a review of a slightly older release: https://opensource.com/article/18/8/str ... sic-player

and a Ghost67 video of an older deb directly from the developer installed on MX 17: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj4UNF-pf58

Please let us know how it installs and performs if you give it a try. Thanks!

Captain Brillo

Re: MX 17/18 Repository: The Strawberry Music Player Thread

#2 Post by Captain Brillo »

I got this error trying to install in MX-18, and it appears that something has removed my sources list.

What the heck?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Captain Brillo on Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GAFA-free zone

Captain Brillo

#3 Post by Captain Brillo »

So how does one fix this?
Do I have to do a restore or is there something easier to do?

Edit: arg! it worked - I just made new ones - ha ha ha :p
GAFA-free zone

philotux

#4 Post by philotux »

It installed fine on my system and so far it has been working without any glitches.
strawberry.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Captain Brillo

#5 Post by Captain Brillo »

yes! It works fine...I was just baffled by this mysterious file and folder evaporation.

seems to work really well, now.
GAFA-free zone

Ghost67

#6 Post by Ghost67 »

I'd like to see this replace Clementine as default at some point as I understand that Clementine development has slowed to a crawl. There's some recent movement on their github pages, but the 1.3.1 release is well over two years old now.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#7 Post by chrispop99 »

With the reduced use of the cloud when compared to Clementine, does that mean the loss of the ability to get lyrics or artist information about the current playing track with just one click? If so, I would be very much against it replacing Clementine, as It's a feature I use frequently.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

Captain Brillo

#8 Post by Captain Brillo »

Liking this player a lot so far.
All I want is a player - I'm not interested in having it connect to anybody else cuz I have all the tunes I'm interested in and I gave up on radio years ago, when "Album Rock" and stuff died.

No bloat on this one.
Next step is to try it on another box One of the things I've found about Linux players so far is that very few of them work on all 3 boxes here. It's curious. I have 2 similar boxes and a third quite a bit different. 2 Mint and 1 MX-18.

Jajuk is pretty good, though, too, but it can be finicky with it's appearance. Good sound though.
GAFA-free zone

Stevo
Developer

#9 Post by Stevo »

chrispop99 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:01 am With the reduced use of the cloud when compared to Clementine, does that mean the loss of the ability to get lyrics or artist information about the current playing track with just one click? If so, I would be very much against it replacing Clementine, as It's a feature I use frequently.

Chris
No, those still work in Strawberry.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#10 Post by chrispop99 »

Stevo wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:23 pm
chrispop99 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:01 am With the reduced use of the cloud when compared to Clementine, does that mean the loss of the ability to get lyrics or artist information about the current playing track with just one click? If so, I would be very much against it replacing Clementine, as It's a feature I use frequently.

Chris
No, those still work in Strawberry.
Thanks.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX 17/18”